Touring and whether D1 corps should be allowed to do partial tours

I'm still wow'ed. Since Surf and Spartans were in such a tight race this year, has anyone heard about Spartans' thoughts on DIV I? Talk about making it more interesting... ^OO^

Word on the street (in the Div II/III forum) is that Jersey Surf and Spartans have applied for Div I, although Spartans could just be applying for the benefit of the DCI review that lets them know where they stand.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... I am not an 'Academy hater" BUT if Academy can not afford a normal Division I touring schedule, then why did they leave Div II/III, which from my understanding, is what that Division is for? Div II/III have schedules that allow for partial tours because places like where I marched aren't financially ready for a nation wide tour like many Division I schedules.

I think if corps want to compete on the same level or division as the top 17, then they need to tour like the top 17 and not be given special treatment.

Seconded. This defeats the purpose of being in a Div I corps! If I wanted a partial tour, I'd join the Colt Cadets.

Edited by Benny_4

I would take partials tours any day! Rather than CORPS FOLDING!!!

I think a corps should be able to do whatever kind of tour they need to do in order to remain financially stable. I'm shocked to see so many people saying if a corps can't tour like the Blue Devils or Boston, they don't deserve the same kind of benefits. Hello! have you seen the rising gas prices and number of corps folding or taking a year off just to come back and almost fold again?? This is not the same drum corps that y'all marched 10 or 20 years ago...times have changed and we have WAY less corps than we used to as a result! No ones fault, just the way it is...

Why can't we just fully embrace groups like Academy or Pacific Crest the way they are!! I'd rather have them competing in D 1 with a limited tour schedule vs. them not existing! Whether we all like it or not, we WILL see either limited touring from more corps in the future (it works...Academy did JUST fine), or less corps. period.

just my opinion.

Edited by ninjaturtle

The more div. 1 corps, the better. Doing a partial tour also is a competitive handicap, since you've received no judging input before you join up with the 'big boys'. Why begrudge the ability of any corps that can participate meaningfully in division 1 at even a half-tour lseason length?

Edited by cajal