Cymbal Lines in DCA

in my opinion they should never have disappeared B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to read that statistic, I am very pro cymbal section. Many are concerned about the trend to put all cymbals in the pit, why?

Because there is a loss of impact on major musical entries both audibly and visually. The brilliance of a unison cymbal crash with its sharp attack and sustaining overtones when coming from onfield where it blends with the sound of the horns cant be duplicated from the pit. It is brass winds with brass percussion.

Cymbal lines are the exclamation point!

The progression of cymbal sections has been amazing, ending it before it progresses even further is a shame. Hopefully we wont be lamenting the loss of real cymbals altogether but I bet we will soon see these in the pit being run through amps and speakers:

26433.jpg

Maybe something good could be done with that but new cymbal methods neednt been seen as replacement for tried and true marching cymbal sections.

Do what you want with the "pit orchestra" but sustain the marching cymbal sections and their unrivaled GE.

so I am glad to hear DCA cymbal lines are still strong, thanks.

These performers never cease to amaze me. In addition to the multitude of contributions they make to the musical aspect of the activity, the visual show they put on is unreal.

I think the primary reason for their disappearance in the DCI ranks is sheer numbers. When the limit was 128, it seemed to make more sense to some, to have the pit play the cymbal impacts and add 6 more horn players. As the max number increases, we're starting to see more DCI cymbal lines.

Many DCA corps aren't close to the max number, thus we see more plate lines. I know I'm biased, but Bushwackers have consistently put out amazing cymbal sections!

I am happy to read that statistic, I am very pro cymbal section. Many are concerned about the trend to put all cymbals in the pit, why?

Because there is a loss of impact on major musical entries both audibly and visually. The brilliance of a unison cymbal crash with its sharp attack and sustaining overtones when coming from onfield where it blends with the sound of the horns cant be duplicated from the pit. It is brass winds with brass percussion.

Cymbal lines are the exclamation point!

The progression of cymbal sections has been amazing, ending it before it progresses even further is a shame. Hopefully we wont be lamenting the loss of real cymbals altogether but I bet we will soon see these in the pit being run through amps and speakers:

26433.jpg

Maybe something good could be done with that but new cymbal methods neednt been seen as replacement for tried and true marching cymbal sections.

Do what you want with the "pit orchestra" but sustain the marching cymbal sections and their unrivaled GE.

so I am glad to hear DCA cymbal lines are still strong, thanks.

Great thread. I love cymbal lines, musically and visually. SCV featured theirs superbly.

C.J. Jones, Wally Schlieg, Al DeSantis et al. have been so entertaining.

I'd love to see a skilled UNLV type of cymbal line, too. B)

What exactly is a UNLV type of cymbal line?

The Kilties have never "not" marched a plate line for the last decade or so.. 07 the corps had 6 until one went down with an injury the end of July finishing up the season with 5, all carrying different size cymbals with split parts at different times throughout the show..........

Are the Kilties going to complete their Brass Line with all Kanstul brass for 2008 ???

Are the Kilties going to complete their Brass Line with all Kanstul brass for 2008 ???

And this relates to this thread about CYMBALS how??? Other than the fact a Kilties was one of the responders. Talk about OT.

Many DCA corps aren't close to the max number, thus we see more plate lines. I know I'm biased, but Bushwackers have consistently put out amazing cymbal sections!

Most cymbal lines are a delightful show within a show and a treat to watch, listen, and enjoy. I agree with Joe that the Bush cymbal section is consistently a joy to enjoy; intense, artistic, tasteful, accurate, and enthusiastic!

I always wanted to march cymbals. Unfortunaly, none of the 3 corps I marched with ever had a cymbal line when I was there. <**>

I love cymbal lines!

:lookaround:

Hi Christine!

Quit your job, move to California, and march in the Renegades Cymbal line.

You can bring Shawn, too.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I always wanted to march cymbals. Unfortunaly, none of the 3 corps I marched with ever had a cymbal line when I was there. <**>

I love cymbal lines!

:lookaround:

Hi Christine!

Quit your job, move to California, and march in the Renegades Cymbal line.

You can bring Shawn, too.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Hey Christine,

There has been a great deal of talk about an all female cymbal line in the Renegades this year! :blink:

You would fit in perfectly! ^0^

You guy's should come to Cali!

Edited by Big Bad Bari