Who are the customers?

Not so, in other words, once again, we disagree.

The difference is.....I am right. :P :P :P :P :P

(making sure you see the smiley)

Of course, there are more reasons why the overall number of drum corps declined. However, I believe, (no pun intended), DCI played a major role in creating a hostile environment for neighborhood corps.

DCI created a gold standard that made it all but impossible to do anything other than DCI.

Not really. The DCI tour and the smaller local corps had little to do with each other. I taught and judged in the GSC fro the mid-70's to around 1980, and we operated as a separate entity from DCI....every now and then corps might attend prelims at a big show, e.g. US Open, World Open, or DCI prelims, and maybe even perform at a local show as a 'filler', but 90% of our shows were just our little selves.

Also, there was nothing wrong with DCI being a "gold standard" for drum corps.

NO YOUTH ACTIVITY FOR THE KIDS TURNS A PROFIT. Any money improves the basic needs of the orginization, i.e. new equipment and such. What other youth activity brings in a paid staff of coaches and tours?

I assumed you meant, since you also mentioned 'covering expenses', that those corps never took in enough to fund themeselves...a prime reason many went out of business...you read over and over about corps directors pouring their own money into these small corps...even mortgaging their homes. That is not the way to ensure longevity. It had nothing to do with DCI.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, there was nothing wrong with DCI being a "gold standard" for drum corps.

I assumed you meant, since you also mentioned 'covering expenses', that those corps never took in enough to fund themeselves...a prime reason many went out of business...you read over and over about corps directors pouring their own money into these small corps...even mortgaging their homes. That is not the way to ensure longevity. It had nothing to do with DCI.

"Gold standard" was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was an elitist environment, like a clique, that everyone wants to be a part of.

I think you're blind to DCI's part in the demise of the neighborhood corps. That happens when you're too close to something. You can't see the whole picture - just your little part in front of you.

Edited by Martybucs

no...it's green.

and the $143 I just shelled out for DVDs and CDs proves that.

so, if you think the kid's needs outweigh the fans needs that's ok. I just don't think that way.

I never said anything about one group's needs outweighing anything. That would make it black and white on my part and the whole point I'm trying to get across here is that the activity is not "for" one group OR the other. THIS IS NOT AN EITHER/OR ISSUE. The quicker we realize that, the better off we'll be. All of us.

Edited by rut-roh

I never said anything about one group's needs outweighing anything. That would make it black and white on my part and the whole point I'm trying to get across here is that the activity is not "for" one group OR the other. THIS IS NOT AN EITHER/OR ISSUE. The quicker we realize that, the better off we'll be. All of us.

I know...this thread is honestly past the point of usefulness. Maybe next we can start a "who is more important in a corp, hornline, or drumline" thread. It would be about as entertaining (and productive).

I know...this thread is honestly past the point of usefulness. Maybe next we can start a "who is more important in a corp, hornline, or drumline" thread. It would be about as entertaining (and productive).

I don't think discussion and debate is useless. Most times, threads take an interesting turn away from the original post, but in some way still have pertinence.

Lot's of times it's pro DCI'ers debating against anti'DCIers.

Those of us against DCI, prefer the more "organic", "all natural ingredients" form of drum and bugle corps of the past.

Those for DCI, prefer the highly processed, homogenized, plastic packaged product of today.

Yeah, yeah, it smacks of a, "Less filling! 'Great taste!" type of argument. But it isn't. There are kernels to learn from, for those that want to learn.

I don't think discussion and debate is useless. Most times, threads take an interesting turn away from the original post, but in some way still have pertinence.

Those of us against DCI, prefer the more "organic", "all natural ingredients" form of drum and bugle corps of the past.

Those for DCI, prefer the highly processed, homogenized, plastic packaged product of today.

Yeah, yeah, it smacks of a, "Less filling! 'Great taste!" type of argument. But it isn't. There are kernels to learn from, for those that want to learn.

I fail to see the relevence of history or dci in this case. In 1940, there were players, and there were fans. A lot less money went in from both, as it was more of a youth activity, so kids just kind of signed up and did it, and im sure fans paid little to nothing to see it. Now there are players, and there are fans. A lot more money changes hands, but the fundamental relationship is the same. If you want to have a debate about which was the better organizational system for drum corps, go ahead, but I dont see how it is relevant to a 'who are the customers' thread.

I agree with this. And for those who prefer the organic...the natural....the neighborhood drum corps....that's ok. Go to a park with a bunch of kids and some instruments and some twirly thingamabobs and have at it. All summer long. Chalk off a field in a park and have a great time. Do some parades if you want. It will all be "for the kids." Moms and Dads can bring lawn chairs out and bring the kids picnic dinners. Woo Hoo!

I think it's terrific!!!! Go for it. Get a grant from your city because you are keeping kids busy all summer and off of the streets!

But, don't expect me to pay to come see it.

Sarcasm noted, but not appreciated. <**>

no sarcasm at all. You can't make me pay for "backyard" drum corps. I might have been the vogue in 1965, but it's not what I want for today. Not as a fan and not as a father of two boys who marched drum corps this decade. I don't want to spend money on it if I have a choice. And I do.

For instance...I've seen alumni corps, all age corps, etc. as part of a larger drum corps show. If that was the only flavor of ice cream offered...I would pass.

I went to one DCA show in my lifetime. I respect what those corps do on the field. But, I won't pay to go to another.

I went to a BOA show once in my lifetime. I respect what those marching bands do on the field. But, I won't pay to go to another.

So, maybe I'm the first and only DCI Honk!