Who are the customers?

I think you mean Drum Corps Midwest.

I went to school there. Where did you find a tree?

Nope... Midwest International... it was a div. 2 & 3 pre-focus show. I have the patch, and looked at it before posting. But with even Mike Boo not knowing about this show shows how dead it was...

free admission too it was

2002 corpsreps links http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=s...;showid=2002237

P.S. - trees were in the parking lot being watered by the custodian waiting for us to get out of the stadium so that he could lock it up. There really were trees, I saw them :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To address the question a bit more specifically...

A number of fans wish to see drum corps performing now more similar, stylistically, to the way corps performed at some point in the past.

Wait, I thought you were going to answer the OP's question? I don't see an answer anywhere in your post, but rather I see yet another argument pitting the older fan against the newer fan and current member. Bad form!

Kids these days aren't too interested in performing in a corps that is going back in time stylistically. Recruiting is enough of a challenge as it is. This would make it impossible.

Really? Is recruiting today really a challenge? Seems to me that we hear of hundreds of members auditioning for a few D1 corps as we always have, and recently over the past few years, several D2 corps have moved up a division, fielding a full corps. So at least in Division 1, there doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't see any corps in the top 20+ that isn't full or near full.

Older fans can either accept it and learn to dig it for what it is, put their support behind DCA and alumni corps or take up golf.

Older fans might ##### and moan, but at least many of them aren't so black and white about this issue. Yeah, they might long for things to be more like they were when they were a bigger part of drum corps, but hey...they are still here, supporting the activity, buying $75 tickets, and visiting corps' souvie stands. If older fans were to decide to stop supporting DCi, the activity would surely be in trouble, as such a large part of its audience would be gone.

Maybe DCP seems to exaggerate the reality of the situation, but, it seems that they is quite a lot of wasted energy spent on complaining about corps of today (who are light-years ahead of the corps back in my day).

I don't know when you marched, but sure...corps today are technically more proficient than they were when most of us DCP'ers marched. And sure, show design has come a long way,but if you are talking about styles, which you seem to have been doing, I disagree that corps today are "light years ahead". Stylistically, I think corps from the 70s and 80s could teach corps from today a thing or two about reaching the audience more deeply and how to establish a very unique and identifiable style. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that corps today do not have varied and unique styles, but back then, those styles were much more strongly defined, IMHO.

Why waste this energy? There are plenty of other places to direct your attention if you don't dig the current state of drum corps... like, say, The Cat Channel or The Klingon Language Institute.... or grow a Chia Pet.

Again, I thought this was supposed to be about who we thought the customers of our activity are?

On that note...the customer is the paying fan.

The client is the paying corps member.

Both have to be satisified and targeted. I agree with rut-roh's premise...this activity is not exclusively for either one or the other.

Edited by ssorrell

Nope... Midwest International... it was a div. 2 & 3 pre-focus show. I have the patch, and looked at it before posting. But with even Mike Boo not knowing about this show shows how dead it was...

free admission too it was

2002 corpsreps links http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=s...;showid=2002237

P.S. - trees were in the parking lot being watered by the custodian waiting for us to get out of the stadium so that he could lock it up. There really were trees, I saw them :)

Did it occur more than one year? How many people showed up?

Who is the customer for the prime TV networks? Yes, that's relevant to this discussion because drum corps and TV both are media and both have more than one customer whose interests might not converge entirely.

So who are the customers for ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.? We, the viewing public, are one customer. Without us, would be no commercial basis for the shows presented. That's because the other customers - advertisers - pay the broadcasters to show their ads to the viewing public in the hopes those other customers will feel compelled to buy the advertisers' products. Thus two customers.

It's a formula that applies as well to newspapers, magazines, the Internet and many other businesses where the media presented draws an audience whose interest is sufficient to pay some or all of the costs of the original media.

Drum corps is very much in that mode: Two customers drawn to the same media not necessarily with the same expectations but each essential to its success.

HH

Edited by glory

Did it occur more than one year? How many people showed up?

It was the first show of the season both years I marched (2001, 2002), occuring in the last Friday of July. Looking at corpsreps, it seems the show was alive between 2001 and 2004. No data before or after those years.

I used to have an MD recording of my corps from the 2002 performance from this show and all you can hear in the background is the insect chirping of John Meehan.

Total non-staff spectators may have been in the double digits, but I'm not really sure

Again, dead show, like playing to a wall. :(

There are no customers.

It is a youth activity.

There are participants and there are supporters, but there are no customers.

DCi markets drum corps. DCI sells corps products. When money changes hands for the sale of merchandise or attendance at events, yes...there surely is a customer.

Your wisdom is unequaled. "learn to dig it" Huh! You sound like the Messiah this activity has been looking for ! "out with the old,in with the new" this may be a consideration iof course. It is understandable that younger types prefer current music to lets say "melancholy baby" or "i'm looking over a four leaf clover" and I admit that I do too!, However don't be too quick to throw out the baby with the bath water. This activity has enough problems finding rehersal and housing sites for shows let alone solving other logistic problems I.E money! Getting rid of one group in favor of another is a natural occurance, but when that happens, one had better show up with more than just a ham sandwich and an emotional agenda

To address the question a bit more specifically...

A number of fans wish to see drum corps performing now more similar, stylistically, to the way corps performed at some point in the past.

Kids these days aren't too interested in performing in a corps that is going back in time stylistically. Recruiting is enough of a challenge as it is. This would make it impossible.

Drum corps is never going to be frozen in time. There is never going to be a line of demarcation that the activity will not cross, and it is certainly not going to go back in time at all.

Older fans can either accept it and learn to dig it for what it is, put their support behind DCA and alumni corps or take up golf.

Maybe DCP seems to exaggerate the reality of the situation, but, it seems that they is quite a lot of wasted energy spent on complaining about corps of today (who are light-years ahead of the corps back in my day).

Why waste this energy? There are plenty of other places to direct your attention if you don't dig the current state of drum corps... like, say, The Cat Channel or The Klingon Language Institute.... or grow a Chia Pet.

Mr-T-ChiaHead-Doll_A6264C80.jpg