Who are the customers?

"Gold standard" was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was an elitist environment, like a clique, that everyone wants to be a part of.

Well, what is wrong with there being a 'best' that others want to belong to? Seems as if you are dissing the organization for being a success.

I think you're blind to DCI's part in the demise of the neighborhood corps. That happens when you're too close to something. You can't see the whole picture - just your little part in front of you.

How am I too close to 'something'? I have zero connection to DCI. My last year marching was the first year of DCI, and all of the teaching and judging I did through the 70's was at the Garden State Circtui level.

I firmly believe that DCI was not the culprit in the demise of smaller corps...it was the environmental, economic and societal changes that have been posted many times.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no sarcasm at all. You can't make me pay for "backyard" drum corps. I might have been the vogue in 1965, but it's not what I want for today. Not as a fan and not as a father of two boys who marched drum corps this decade. I don't want to spend money on it if I have a choice. And I do.

For instance...I've seen alumni corps, all age corps, etc. as part of a larger drum corps show. If that was the only flavor of ice cream offered...I would pass.

I went to one DCA show in my lifetime. I respect what those corps do on the field. But, I won't pay to go to another.

I went to a BOA show once in my lifetime. I respect what those marching bands do on the field. But, I won't pay to go to another.

So, maybe I'm the first and only DCI Honk!

So, you reduce an entire proud era of drum and bugle corps down to a bunch of parents and their kids playing drum corps in their backyards...and you're not being sarcastic?

You have no idea of what drum corps was intended to be, it's history and the reason things were done the way they were done.

You see dollars and the return on investment only. You are the perfect DCI fan. Congratulations.

Those of us that realize drum and bugle corps' heritage also realize that the return on investment wasn't just that, you had a good time and enjoyed the show.

So, you reduce an entire proud era of drum and bugle corps down to a bunch of parents and their kids playing drum corps in their backyards...and you're not being sarcastic?

You have no idea of what drum corps was intended to be, it's history and the reason things were done the way they were done.

You see dollars and the return on investment only. You are the perfect DCI fan. Congratulations.

Those of us that realize drum and bugle corps' heritage also realize that the return on investment wasn't just that, you had a good time and enjoyed the show.

Oh...my friend...you have now picked the wrong fight, because you don't know who the heck I am or my drum corps pedigree. Only you...solitary you can speak of the "back in the day" crowd. It's ok...I admit when I'm wrong. Just tell me...do you think everyone who marched in the 60s and 70s thinks like you do?

It was backyard drum corps. That's my term for it. It was fly by the seat of the pants frequently. I grew up on drum corps since my first show in Rockford in 1968 so I do have the history my friend.

The most convient thing about the past is that although you can't change it, you can distort your own version of the past. Maybe therein lies the inconguity of our opinions. But, drum corps I knew and grew up on were the v1.0 of what we have today and in software terms it would be like going back to DOS when someone offers you Apple OS v11 or Windows Vista. For the purist...it may be a great look back at the beauty and simplicity of it all, but for the average user....give me my ###### mouse.

Oh...my friend...you have now picked the wrong fight, because you don't know who the heck I am or my drum corps pedigree. Only you...solitary you can speak of the "back in the day" crowd. It's ok...I admit when I'm wrong. Just tell me...do you think everyone who marched in the 60s and 70s thinks like you do?

It was backyard drum corps. That's my term for it. It was fly by the seat of the pants frequently. I grew up on drum corps since my first show in Rockford in 1968 so I do have the history my friend.

The most convient thing about the past is that although you can't change it, you can distort your own version of the past. Maybe therein lies the inconguity of our opinions. But, drum corps I knew and grew up on were the v1.0 of what we have today and in software terms it would be like going back to DOS when someone offers you Apple OS v11 or Windows Vista. For the purist...it may be a great look back at the beauty and simplicity of it all, but for the average user....give me my ###### mouse.

I go back further than you in drum corps.

When you get done sorting your apples and oranges maybe we can discuss things. I don't fight.

I go back further than you in drum corps.

When you get done sorting your apples and oranges maybe we can discuss things. I don't fight.

Ridiculous. "Im Older than You...WAAAA"

The fact is that you both marched in the pre-dci era, and you still can not agree on this simple issue. I talked to the first drum major of the Holy Name Fife drum and bugle corps a month ago, and he didnt seem to give a #### :P

Ridiculous. "Im Older than You...WAAAA"

The fact is that you both marched in the pre-dci era, and you still can not agree on this simple issue. I talked to the first drum major of the Holy Name Fife drum and bugle corps a month ago, and he didnt seem to give a #### :P

Thing is, he's getting angry and I'm not. I just disagree with him and gave him a reason for disagreeing and he can't handle it.

Funny reply, btw. b**bs

I just disagree with him and gave him a reason for disagreeing and he can't handle it.

MOOOOOOMMM!!!!!

:)

Edited by euponitone

In the spirit of what Daniel Ray said earlier - I am an artist that makes my living by selling my paintings.

If I cease to exist, there are ultimately no further Jeff Koehn paintings to sell. But if my customers go

away, then my paintings sit around my studio and I don't continue to make my living that way. So, to make sure

neither happens, I do what I can to stay healthy and alive, and I make sure I know what my customers want

from me. That means consistancy of overall quality, but it also means growing and evolving as an artist

without compromising my identity. I feel it is very similar with this activity. Both the kids and the crowd are absolutely vital.

Thing is, he's getting angry and I'm not. I just disagree with him and gave him a reason for disagreeing and he can't handle it.

Funny reply, btw. b**bs

Interesting how you see anger where there is none.

Interesting. That's it. Just interesting.

As far as handling...it's called change and it occurs in everything. Everything...check what gravity is doing to your physique.