Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy sarcasm...

Although often used to illustrate the idea of random sampling, this method would actually not produce a statistically random sample...you might only get every fourth person coming in one entrance to a stadium, creating bias. Even if you could get a truly statistically random sample of the entire stadium, the only thing you could say with any degree of accuracy would be that x% of fans at that show on that night support or don't support amplification. In order for a sample of a population to be truly representative of the entire population, there has to be equal chance for any unit of that population to be selected.

Seriously, now....

Ever since "Dewey Defeats Truman", we've understood that polling is not perfect. But it does give a general sense of public opinion, especially if an overwhelming majority share an opinion.

As for "bias", let's look at that more closely. I can see that DCP probably does not speak for the disinterested ticket buyer in Ogden, Utah, who only goes to their local show because nothing else was happening in Ogden on July 30th, 2007. Conversely, DCP probably has a higher proportion of people who actually care about drum corps vs. the population at large - people who attend multiple shows, buy souvies, donate or volunteer, and so on. Call me crazy, but if I was running DCI, I'd want to hear from people with precisely that "bias".

Seriously, now....

Ever since "Dewey Defeats Truman", we've understood that polling is not perfect. But it does give a general sense of public opinion, especially if an overwhelming majority share an opinion.

As for "bias", let's look at that more closely. I can see that DCP probably does not speak for the disinterested ticket buyer in Ogden, Utah, who only goes to their local show because nothing else was happening in Ogden on July 30th, 2007. Conversely, DCP probably has a higher proportion of people who actually care about drum corps vs. the population at large - people who attend multiple shows, buy souvies, donate or volunteer, and so on. Call me crazy, but if I was running DCI, I'd want to hear from people with precisely that "bias".

Bingo. This is the financial support base you can count on year to year if you keep them engaged and interested. This is your "annuity". Sure, you try to add to that, but you don't #### off your annuity. That's just not good business.

I'd much rather have clarinets and a mic'd fiddler than some kid on a Yamaha keyboard.

If TPTB do pass the use of keyboards, then corps should only be allowed to use those old, tiny Casio keyboards like the VL-1.

Casio_vl-1.jpg

AND, they must incorporate the 'barking dog' sample into their program. :lolhit:

If TPTB do pass the use of keyboards, then corps should only be allowed to use those old, tiny Casio keyboards like the VL-1.

Casio_vl-1.jpg

AND, they must incorporate the 'barking dog' sample into their program. :lolhit:

If they use electric instruments, corps must also be forced to only perform songs from the great synthesizer 70's like Boston and other bands.

Casio_vl-1.jpg

those would be perfect if someone wanted to incorporate the theme from Beverly Hills Cop in their show :P

those would be perfect if someone wanted to incorporate the theme from Beverly Hills Cop in their show :P

Just shoot me now and get it over with.....

In the end voicing your concerns will only matter if DCI is losing money because of those concerns.

Money talks.

As if Drum Corps aren't struggling right now with money.

This whole, "hitting them where it hurts" idea, in terms of money, is just adding to the already present financial problems Drum Corps are having.