Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

Drum corps is not a sport

Next

Huh? Your post completely misses the point. In relation to were Drum Corps is headed, are we to ignore or change all of the rules to the point that we no longer recognize what's happening on the field as drum corps? The sports analogy is very valid. As I have pointed out before, all of these people are artists, but when a painter puts down his brush and uses clay, he may still be an artist, but what he is now creating is not a painting, and when he uses clay he is not a painter. At some point, (and I don't claim to know where the line is for all fans) Drum Corps will no longer be drum corps. For me, we are approaching that line.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but being receptive of such ideas and being willing to give them chances is a part of being open minded. Renouncing something before even hearing it is an example of ignorance. All music is beautiful in its own way, people on this board are too busy worrying about the stuff they DON'T like, why not try to like as much of it as you can.

I'm not sure where you think people are renouncing something before we've heard it, because I believe we've all heard marching bands before.

Huh? Your post completely misses the point. In relation to were Drum Corps is headed, are we to ignore or change all of the rules to the point that we no longer recognize what's happening on the field as drum corps? The sports analogy is very valid. As I have pointed out before, all of these people are artists, but when a painter puts down his brush and uses clay, he may still be an artist, but what he is now creating is not a painting, and when he uses clay he is not a painter. At some point, (and I don't claim to know where the line is for all fans) Drum Corps will no longer be drum corps. For me, we are approaching that line.

It still fits under the same umbrella. I'd buy your argument if drum corps suddenly turned into baseball teams, weren't playing music but playing........baseball. Though a baseball game in itself can be considered a pretty musical event.

Either way, no, I don't buy it. An artist is still an artist whether he's painting or molding clay. Same purpose, same ideas, altered materials.

From what I've seen, your posts add nothing to this debate...IMHO.
You got that right !

I don't think you're alone there, either, Steph. I think the same is true with narration. Now, when woodwinds become legal, I think we'll see massive numbers of people leaving "fandom," including me. ;)

I doubt that. Just like certain people on RAMD said they were leaving when B-flats were passed, just like some people said they were going to leave when they allowed amps (then those VERY SAME PEOPLE turn around and say "Hey, you know what, the pit DOES sound better when amplified, let's keep that! I was ALWAYS ok with this, as long as it's JUST THE PIT") I would love to see some POLLS on that subject... how many hypocrits said they were going to "leave drum corps" and ended up staying because they realized that they were arguing over semantics and that it wasn't really worth leaving over?? Hmmm.... :whistle:

Edited by BX5CM

It still fits under the same umbrella. I'd buy your argument if drum corps suddenly turned into baseball teams, weren't playing music but playing........baseball. Though a baseball game in itself can be considered a pretty musical event.

Either way, no, I don't buy it. An artist is still an artist whether he's painting or molding clay. Same purpose, same ideas, altered materials.

Yes, you and I agree on that point, but is that artist a painter when he delves into other mediums to communicate his message? Is drum corps still drum corps when woodwinds, synths, etc. come in or are they now just marching bands? You seem to believe that's still within the bounds of drum corps and I happen to disagree, although it would still be music. Like the analogy before, American football is not soccer, but it is still a sport.

The sport comment is actually an interesting point... as very few actual rule changes have occured in baseball, football, et al over the last few decades. The reason the sports have gotten "better" and "more exciting" is because the level of talent in said sports has increased ten fold.

Who's to say drum corps can't follow a similar vein of improvement? Better members, fewer new rules?

Yes, you and I agree on that point, but is that artist a painter when he delves into other mediums to communicate his message? Is drum corps still drum corps when woodwinds, synths, etc. come in or are they now just marching bands? You seem to believe that's still within the bounds of drum corps and I happen to disagree, although it would still be music. Like the analogy before, American football is not soccer, but it is still a sport.

I just have one question... How and why will WW and electonics "ruin" drum corps? Saying "Because that makes it marching band." isn't an argument, it's a prejudicial statement against a perfectly valid educational establishment. It's like they say, you can't define a metaphor with another metaphor.

I want quantified statements as to HOW AND WHY adding these things will harm the activity. And also, you can't say "it will be less appealing" because that is an EMOTIONAL statement, it isn't a fact, the level of appeal is a completely personal decision. So come on folks, let all of us "Hoppy-lovers" <sarcasm off> have it...I want THE FACTS about why will this ruin drum corps?

No opinions, just facts (PS- Polls and petitions are not facts)

Edited by BX5CM

I just have one question... How and why will WW and electonics "ruin" drum corps? Saying "Because that makes it marching band." isn't an argument, it's a prejudicial statement against a perfectly valid educational establishment. It's like they say, you can't define a metaphor with another metaphor.

I want quantified statements as to HOW AND WHY adding these things will harm the activity. And also, you can't say "it will be less appealing" because that is an EMOTIONAL statement, it isn't a fact, the level of appeal is a completely personal decision. So come on folks, let all of us "Hoppy-lovers" <sarcasm off> have it...I want THE FACTS about why will this ruin drum corps?

No opinions, just facts (PS- Polls and petitions are not facts)

The idea is that we like drum corps for what it is/was, and as it starts to resemble less and less of what it is/was, we will/started to like it less and less.