Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

I certainly remember less controversy, and fewer rules changes that would change the fabric of the activity, when I marched...but maybe my memory is foggy.

Going from G to B flat is one thing. Adding an entirely new category of instrumentation is another, IMHO.

The only change that adds an entirely new category of instrumentation would be adding WW. Everything else is just incremental changes, as has always happened.

There was lots of controversy over changes made along the way. With no internet discussion groups it was more localized, but it was there.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Individual drum corps in some cases yes, but DCI as a corporate, no.

Yah, who gives a poop about the corps as long as the organization survives. :doh::doh::doh:

The only change that adds an entirely new category of instrumentation would be adding WW. Everything else is just incremental changes, as has always happened.

So are we going to loosely group synths under percussion? That would be convenient to those who say "It's just another instrument for the pit."

Don't you guys have jobs/school

Don't you?

And no, actually, I only have Econ on Tues/Thurs in the morning and have a nice long break before band in the afternoon.

Edited by SF2K4

Don't you guys have jobs/school

Yeah, I have a job. I subbed today.

My last quarter of school starts tomorrow. College starts later out here for some reason. I'll have my MA by December. Woot.

You posting from a school computer, Einstein? And why does it matter?

Yes, but being receptive of such ideas and being willing to give them chances is a part of being open minded. Renouncing something before even hearing it is an example of ignorance. All music is beautiful in its own way, people on this board are too busy worrying about the stuff they DON'T like, why not try to like as much of it as you can.

We have heard it. Marching bands have been doing it for decades and decades.

Next.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

I just have one question... How and why will WW and electonics "ruin" drum corps? Saying "Because that makes it marching band." isn't an argument, it's a prejudicial statement against a perfectly valid educational establishment. It's like they say, you can't define a metaphor with another metaphor.

I want quantified statements as to HOW AND WHY adding these things will harm the activity. And also, you can't say "it will be less appealing" because that is an EMOTIONAL statement, it isn't a fact, the level of appeal is a completely personal decision. So come on folks, let all of us "Hoppy-lovers" <sarcasm off> have it...I want THE FACTS about why will this ruin drum corps?

No opinions, just facts (PS- Polls and petitions are not facts)

It is potentially harmful if enough people get disenfranchised enough from the activity that the activity can no longer sustain itself.