Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

So when the legal ranges of brass were expanded and instruments such as contras were made legal it's because arrangers wer creatively bankrupt or lazy? :blink:

Or when marching mallets were added? Or timpani? Or when drills no longer had to start in one endzone and exit out the other?

Creativity can be expressed in many ways. There is no one way to do that.

And a lot of folks had a hard time with that, no question. But it didn't take drum corps out of the accoustic world and it didn't blur the line between DC and band. That's the line in the sand for many, including me.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously it's not something that would be evaluated while the corps is performing....do I really have to spell it all out for you?

Yes, you do. I'd like to know how a contest director, in addition to his other duties, is expected to ensure that the equipment a corps wheels onto the field is in compliance with the rules, without interfering with the unit's setup, warmup or performance. If electronic instruments are allowed, but devices that produce pre-programmed sequences are not, how will a contest director police that issue?

I'm not attacking you as a person, I'm attacking your statement. To say that the use of electronics/narration is inherently uncreative IS wrong.

No, its not wrong, True creativity comes when one can achieve something within the set rules and guidelines. If you have to change the rule to achieve success and alter the art form, you are using a crutch, or taking a shortcut.

Dont tell me something through a microphone for me to "get it" be daring, bold, innovative and get that same message to me thorugh the use of brass and percussion.

~G~

Yes, you do. I'd like to know how a contest director, in addition to his other duties, is expected to ensure that the equipment a corps wheels onto the field is in compliance with the rules, without interfering with the unit's setup, warmup or performance. If electronic instruments are allowed, but devices that produce pre-programmed sequences are not, how will a contest director police that issue?

They could have pre or post show inspections, I suppose.

Not that I suspect cheating would be likely, but no amount of inspection will keep someone that wants to from doing so. Look to electronic paintball markers for an example.

nascar style :P

No, its not wrong, True creativity comes when one can achieve something within the set rules and guidelines. If you have to change the rule to achieve success and alter the art form, you are using a crutch, or taking a shortcut.

Dont tell me something through a microphone for me to "get it" be daring, bold, innovative and get that same message to me thorugh the use of brass and percussion.

~G~

Pure opinion. If this is the case we would still be watching shows with fife and drums and marching timps. Were those other rules about bugles, any key, grounded pit made to alter the art form in spite of creativity, or does your rule only apply when it is something you don't like.

Yes that would be one way. I imagine they could simply have a rule against a certain amount of hard drive storage space in the synthesizer itself which would prevent storage of loops (I imagine that wouldn't be too hard to inspect) as well as a list of banned synths.

Besides, as someone stated earlier, it's not that hard to watch the person operating the instrument and see if they're actually playing the instrument or not. In fact, it's really easy. And why would a corps waste time pre-programming a loop and then teaching a kid to "fake it" when they could just teach the kid the part in the first place? And do you really think the kid's going to be satisfied just sitting there doing nothing? I doubt it. I imagine the kid would probably complain.

I've seen electronics used by high school marching bands, and there's a rule against using pre-recorded loops in that arena as well. I've never heard of any difficulty enforcing that rule.

~G~

Well if that's what defines creativity, then why don't we start imposing more rules? Why don't we take away the instruments and have the members reproduce all the sounds with their bodies? I mean, that's "more creative," right?