Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to hear Regiment with a micced string section, maybe set up on a platform in the field. That would be an amazing sound.

...and the gift just keeps on giving....

I would love to hear Regiment with a micced string section, maybe set up on a platform in the field. That would be an amazing sound.

Already being done. Every July 4th on the Mall here in DC, the Symphony plays "1812" and big guns make loud bangs and fireworks explode overhead. OK, the musicians don't march... but its a heck of a show.

OK, esp when they eventually permit strings, as they should.

Ah hah! Now we are on to something.

Everything is a subset of orchsestra because orchestra has all the instruments!

Except guitars, and synthesizers and...oh, whatever. :tongue:

That would be hilarious and sad at the same time.

That would be hilarious and sad at the same time.

Marching Orchestras International???

Marching Orchestras International???

Pretty much. Let's just increase the budget of corps to ten times the current level. Give 40 violins each a Strad to play. Maybe put some hydaulic lifts for the cellos to be raised up above the corps for some sections.

We already have these. They're called symphony orchestras. Been around for several hundred years. They work just fine without amplification, too.

In fact, Regiment has performed with several of these over the years, including the KCO. (Maybe that is the "Kansas City Star" Curt Gowdy mentioned.) OK, so it's not outside, but you have another chance to hear this kind of ensemble with Glassmen soon, if I saw that headline correctly.

If strings were meant to be played outside with 60 brass and 30-40 percussionists wailing away around them, it'd have been done before. But, I guess if a little thing like reality were really involved here, we wouldn't have been entertaining these kinds of notions in DC for the last several years.

Oh, well, if you're going to fantasize - Go BIG or GO HOME!

...People who really CARE about drum corps should search out those old bugles, wipe the dust off of them, oil them up and play them again. There are THOUSANDS of old 2 valved and piston rotor bugles that have been abandoned out there....Get your bugles out, get some groups together and organize something. If you have the time, why not organize a hornline to play parades or gigs? in other words...DO SOMETHING that will restore the activity...

May I introduce you to the Kingsmen All-Age Drum and BUGLE Corps and Colorguard and the Kingsmen Alumni Corps?? :tongue:

http://www.xkingsmen.com/

Edited by GuyW