Drum Majors On the Field

Another top arranger/brass instructor who marched on the field as DM was Corky Fabrizio with the Brigadiers in the 60s. Anybody recall which years? I also seem to remember he was on the field with Phoenix in 1975.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another top arranger/brass instructor who marched on the field as DM was Corky Fabrizio with the Brigadiers in the 60s. Anybody recall which years? I also seem to remember he was on the field with Phoenix in 1975.

also crusaders 71-73

I've recently been watching a lot of drum corps videos from 1970-1972 and one of the many things that stands out is that the drum major used to perform on the field with the corps and was a major part of the show. There were a lot of great showmen leading both junior and senior corps--70 Boston Crusaders and 72 Skyliners (Walt Winkleman) were really fun to watch. They added a tremendous amount of entertainment to the show, really accentuated the corps' performance. Now we get mostly machine like conductors that stand on podiums that you don't even notice after the corps are introduced. This is especially true of DCI. Unfortunately, they are little more than human metronomes. Another great "innovation." :(

Personally I miss seeing the drum majors out on the field. It was one of my greatest pleasures watching my father direct.

He and I had many conversations about the human metronomes of todays drum corps.

I mentioned in another thread on this subject how it was his opinion that it was the drum line who kept time for the corps .

He also mentioned that if the brass players needed a metronome up there keeping time for them they didn't belong on the field of competition. They're suppose to know their music!

It's bad enough having the drum major up on the podium doing the metronome, thing but all 3!

So boring.

Just an observation from my limited DC experience...

Shouldn't modern drum majors be called "horn majors" as it seems they tend to spend way more time w/ the horn section than the drum section? Maybe it's just me, but when I saw Cabs Alumni warming up a few years ago in Clifton, their DM (Ralph?) led the drum line through their warm-ups.

I know in our corps, on the field, the DM and the center snare have a special bond but in rehearsal it seems like it's very seldom the DM is rehearsing the drumline.

...what Cindy said. :P

Just an observation from my limited DC experience...

Shouldn't modern drum majors be called "horn majors" as it seems they tend to spend way more time w/ the horn section than the drum section? Maybe it's just me, but when I saw Cabs Alumni warming up a few years ago in Clifton, their DM (Ralph?) led the drum line through their warm-ups.

I know in our corps, on the field, the DM and the center snare have a special bond but in rehearsal it seems like it's very seldom the DM is rehearsing the drumline.

Great point!

In '78, and '79, I was a "horn major". Having played mellophone, and having been a trumpet major in college, at that time, I was much more comfortable being with the horn line. I would even sit in, and play along much of the time, at sectionals.

Then...

In the winter of '79-80, Mr. De Lucia (You know him, right?) approached me, and said, "Jim, time to put the horn down! You will now spend the majority of your rehearsal time with the drum line, from now until DCI Finals".

Well, the results were fantastic, and I learned how to listen to the various drum parts, and really lock in with them. And let me tell you, I worked my butt off with that drum line! (Sweat, sweat, and MORE sweat!!!) Of course, they were an amazing group of people, (drummers and staff), and our drum line went on to win the first of three successive drum titles!

(The entire corps fared pretty well, also! All Bridgemen personnel in 1980 were quite extraordinary!)

Now, as a music teacher, big band leader, trumpet player, and aging alumni drum major, I still listen primarily to the drums, (or drummer), whether I'm playing, cleaning, or leading. (Especially when leading the Bridgemen).

I'm grateful to Dennis for his expert tutelage, (and Larry Kerchner, and many others, as well) that he proffered almost thirty years ago, at a Bridgemen rehearsal. I believe that Den, Larry, and others have had a major hand in the success of the ensembles that I've worked with, especially my big band.

Thanks guys!

Now if I could just get their anti-aging formula!!!

I never saw this topic till now. I remember seeing many entertaining DM's in my corps days. We (the Saginaires) were blessed with one of our own in Archie Tulous. He won many best drum major trophies over the years.

GO ARCHIE !!!

FIELD_BW.jpg