Drum Majors On the Field

The Cavaliers dm's were particularly well-versed in "aiming" for field judges who'd get too close to vulnerable sections and driving them away or obscuring their view.

"Jumpin" Joe Genaro (when DM/musical arranger/instructor with the Connecticut Hurricanes) was a master of that lost art. I think the only time he ever actually waved his arms was during the "park 'n bark" concert. The rest of the time he was chasing judges all over the field.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jumpin" Joe Genaro (when DM/musical arranger/instructor with the Connecticut Hurricanes) was a master of that lost art. I think the only time he ever actually waved his arms was during the "park 'n bark" concert. The rest of the time he was chasing judges all over the field.

that was so true.........but he was cool!!

Does anyone remember Wally Curtis of Princemen fame back in the 60's? He was with St. Kevin's Emerald Knights I believe in the 50's as well. I remember seeing him in Roosevelt Stadium (the "Dream" I believe) back in the early 60"s doing a dance on the front sideline. More of a tease as to how close he could come without stepping on or going over it. It was a penalty back then to cross any sideline, or goal line.

Oh! And thanks for the compliment.

donincardona Today, 07:49 PM

"yup you guy's were good. espcieally you and winky."

"Remember Wally":

Indeed we do. We also pay tribute to:

St Kevins Frank Brisenden, Boston Crusaders Jim "Stokie" Stokinger, Blessed Sacraments Al LaRocca & Gene Kennedy, Bridgeport PAL Cadets Lillian Gaudette & Alice Dobson, the great female drum majors from St Vincents Cadets, IC Reveries, Loretto Knights, Blue Rock, Chicgo Royal Airs, and Audubon Bon Bons, Scott Poulson of the Racine Kilties, Art Peters of the Chicago Cavaliers, Charles Gallant of St Raphaels, and last but certainly not the least Jimmy Russo of St Lucys Cadets, who like those mentioned earlier, was a great showman, and directed "From the Field". :beer:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Love it, love it! b**bs

And love the Skyliners. Hey -- and the Connecticut Hurricanes. Tell me -- what was their relationship with the Connecticut Yankees and oldtime percussion greats Frank Arsenault and Earl Sturtze?

After a 40 year career in drum corps and having marched with many drum corps and under the direction of many drum majors the best D.M. i played under was Beth Coonan of the rochester crusaders 1988-1989. I never thought that I would ever say that about a female D.M. but she had great control ond knowledge of music and really made an impression on me.

I will concur with you on that! Beth was GREAT! She worked very hard and she was highly respected.

:beer: Holy Cow...if we are going to talk great, what about WILD BILL HOOTEN( I bet he drew down on a few judges on the field from time to time)...Jumpin Joe was great as someone already pointed out...(What a lost art....chasing judges...some even had a floating base drum or contra assigned to the task) B) :beer:

Love it, love it! b**bs

And love the Skyliners. Hey -- and the Connecticut Hurricanes. Tell me -- what was their relationship with the Connecticut Yankees and oldtime percussion greats Frank Arsenault and Earl Sturtze?

Earl taught both the CT Yankees and Hurricanes in the 50's and early 60's ... Arsenault had no ties to the Hurcs and left the Yankees for the Skokie Indians of Chicagoland ... Don Freising took over the Hurcs in 62 or 63 (maybe even earlier) and then Ray Luedee in late 65 into 66 ...

Andy

Earl taught both the CT Yankees and Hurricanes in the 50's and early 60's ... Arsenault had no ties to the Hurcs and left the Yankees for the Skokie Indians of Chicagoland ... Don Freising took over the Hurcs in 62 or 63 (maybe even earlier) and then Ray Luedee in late 65 into 66 ...

Andy

What a great tradition, Andy. Thanks for the history lesson!

joe was indeed a master of pulling the best out of his hornlines in the 60's . and make no mistake, they were his lines ! he chose the music , aranged it , and taught it. but in my view , the main reason the hurricanes compilled such an enviable record in the decade of the 60's was the fact that we followed joe onto the field! the man became a competitive maniac the second he entered the arena . his focus , intensity , and fire were contagious ! nobody wanted his eyes flashing their way if they ticked , and no one wanted to disapoint him ! the leadership he provided was unique , focused , and tenacious. no he didn't march particurly well , he wasn't an " entertainer " , but he got us were we wanted to be ! ( he did chase judges though ! )

there were of course others who contributed to the hurcs success, ie; bob woods , ed condon , ray luedee, et all , but the lions share of credit goes to the great GENARO ! i agree with a previous post naming winkleman , russo , and parks as perhaps the three greatest dm's / entertainers..........and of course many many more of that ilk .....but not many corps have had the advantage of their main instructor, and inspiration leading them on the field.

perhaps some yankee rebels, who had truman crawford , or some buccaneers , who had frank ferrera lead them in the same capacity can identify with what i'm saying

joe was indeed a master of pulling the best out of his hornlines in the 60's . and make no mistake, they were his lines ! he chose the music , aranged it , and taught it. but in my view , the main reason the hurricanes compilled such an enviable record in the decade of the 60's was the fact that we followed joe onto the field! the man became a competitive maniac the second he entered the arena . his focus , intensity , and fire were contagious ! nobody wanted his eyes flashing their way if they ticked , and no one wanted to disapoint him ! the leadership he provided was unique , focused , and tenacious. no he didn't march particurly well , he wasn't an " entertainer " , but he got us were we wanted to be ! ( he did chase judges though ! )

there were of course others who contributed to the hurcs success, ie; bob woods , ed condon , ray luedee, et all , but the lions share of credit goes to the great GENARO ! i agree with a previous post naming winkleman , russo , and parks as perhaps the three greatest dm's / entertainers..........and of course many many more of that ilk .....but not many corps have had the advantage of their main instructor, and inspiration leading them on the field.

perhaps some yankee rebels, who had truman crawford , or some buccaneers , who had frank ferrera lead them in the same capacity can identify with what i'm saying

while i agree with you about genero i believe that the reason for the hurcs sucess had more to do with ray luedee.his lines took 1st place in 6 of 8 dca championships. when they didn't take 1st they were in the top 3. the hurcs horns never plced with that concistancy. he did write some really good stuff and had a lot of fire. IMHO