Drum Majors On the Field

I've recently been watching a lot of drum corps videos from 1970-1972 and one of the many things that stands out is that the drum major used to perform on the field with the corps and was a major part of the show. There were a lot of great showmen leading both junior and senior corps--70 Boston Crusaders and 72 Skyliners (Walt Winkleman) were really fun to watch. They added a tremendous amount of entertainment to the show, really accentuated the corps' performance. Now we get mostly machine like conductors that stand on podiums that you don't even notice after the corps are introduced. This is especially true of DCI. Unfortunately, they are little more than human metronomes. Another great "innovation." :(

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not lost, just hard to find.

John Mayer of the Govenaires, conversing with the audience at DCA Finals:

22928-421-023f.jpg22928-421-024f.jpg22928-421-025f.jpg22928-421-026f.jpg22928-421-027f.jpg22928-421-028f.jpg

He started the show from mid-field. Gotta love the Govies.

With todays drills the drum major is right where they need to be. They would probably get killed out there, that and most of the corps wouldn't be able to see them.

Great timing as had these thoughts during DCA....

Just a few years ago the "major Drum Major" :P was on the podium and asst DMs went all over the field to be in the corps line of vision. Now the asst DM is usually on a smaller platform or steps on the backfield 50.

And can only remember Chris of the Bushwackers as the only DM marking time anytime during the show.

And Mayer is also easy to hear :P (Got my freebie "Go Govies" shirt at home and wore it at Prelims).

Now we get mostly machine like conductors that stand on podiums that you don't even notice after the corps are introduced. This is especially true of DCI.

Actually, this is entirely true of DCI. No knock on the DCI corps, but the drum majors there are different from those on the DCA/alumni corps sides of the activity.

There are several DCA drum majors who are personalities in their own right. I hope that never changes. I would really hate to see the DCA majors all go the "robo-major" route. If that happened, IMO, DCA would lose a significant part of what makes it unique and different from junior corps. And... again IMO.... DCA absolutely HAS to remain unique and different, at least on certain levels, than DCI in order to survive, and indeed, thrive in the years ahead.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Great timing as had these thoughts during DCA....

Just a few years ago the "major Drum Major" :P was on the podium and asst DMs went all over the field to be in the corps line of vision. Now the asst DM is usually on a smaller platform or steps on the backfield 50.

And can only remember Chris of the Bushwackers as the only DM marking time anytime during the show.

And Mayer is also easy to hear :P (Got my freebie "Go Govies" shirt at home and wore it at Prelims).

You noticed that? Cool! :)

You noticed that? Cool! :)

I considered myself lucky. I had thehonor to have3 of the finest DMs ever in Tom and Tony of the Sunrisers and of course George Parks and boy did we keep them in view.

I considered myself lucky. I had thehonor to have3 of the finest DMs ever in Tom and Tony of the Sunrisers and of course George Parks and boy did we keep them in view.

I had the honor and privilege to be Assistant DM to 2 of the best, "Wink" (1967 and 68) and "Butch" (1977 and 78).

I had the honor and privilege to be Assistant DM to 2 of the best, "Wink" (1967 and 68) and "Butch" (1977 and 78).

yup you guy's were good. espcieally you and winky