Never Be With Another Corps (even Alumni type)

uh......Broadway musical......think France......
:blink: got it :doh:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am VERY glad that there is no senior corps or alumni group anywhere near me.

I just turned 40, have started my own law practice, have a three-year old son and barely have time to keep up with cutting the grass and paying the bills. Plus, I haven't so much as touched a brass instrument in about 17 years.

And if there were any sort of senior or alumni drum corps within earshot, I'd do whatever it took to be in it.

Not looking for past glory.

But dear Lord, do I miss doing it.

Hey Stustu,

Congratulations on your law practice, and of course, your son!

If and when you're ever ready, we have a screamin' lead sop player from Indiana that you could probably hitch a ride with to Bayonne!!! :P

Best of luck with your new practice!

Jim

I live in the 'burbs of Indianapolis.

Not much future for drum corps in this town, I'm sure...

Interesting, for there is a low key group of guys and gals playing in your area. You can always come over and check us out. Minicorps class at this point, so no huge time commitment. There isn't much there yet, but out the Star United link below or search for us on youtube.

My point is that most people especially those who marched in junior corps in one way or another have "peaked" as far as amount of time practicing while in drum corps. Lets be honest, you would be hard pressed to find any 25-30 years old who practices as much as a 22 year old in drum corps. Therefore the less you practice, the more the product suffers.

However, most people who take up golf after drum corp find their scores lower during their 25-30 's. Why??? More time playing than when in drum corps.

But that is my 2 cents.

Now I would rather hit a Titleist than a High C.

I did four years of junior corps with the whole 6 to 12 hours of playing a day. I did the college music major thing. Then my life took a turn and now I am in full time ministry as a pastor, growing a marriage, raising two children the be Godly adults, and taking classes toward my masters. I hardly have any time to practice, but I still play in the Westshoremen Alumni and I play in church. I don't get to practice for a tenth of the time I used to, but after playing for more almost thirty years of my life, I have learned how to be incredibly efficient with what little time I have. I have learned more about my instrument and musicality than any 25 year old could dream. The "quality" lessons of age and experience far outweigh the "quantity" time of "not yet having a life."

I play better now than I ever dreamed of at 25 and I am less than half a year from hitting 40.

Another point that needs to be made in response to your earlier post is this. I'll take the entertainment value of listening to life experienced musicians who do what they do for the sheer purpose of enjoying themselves and entertaining the listener over the technical excellence of a less life experienced musician who has enough hours in his schedule to play with "good tone and technical proficiency" every time.

I am VERY glad that there is no senior corps or alumni group anywhere near me.

Ummm... Star United? Two Time Minicorps World Champions.

Feelthe uuurrrggge....

Edited by CVQuesty

Hey march and play with whatever group you want ,be my guest, but I will take a Jr. corp any day of the week. To me the difference is like night and day.

Sr. corps, All-age,or Alumni corps just don't do it for me.

And for the record I am way past Jr. corps age.

So in other words, you're gonna sit in the stands for an activity you can't participate in the rest of your life while berating those who love it enough to keep active in it the rest of their lives?

You know, I enjoy the Symphony as much as the next guy, but I'm not that calibre of musician, so I've done my fair share of performing in community bands that would put to shame the average honor band.

Don't knock it til you've tried it--I'm guessing you would find that there are guys in those "senior" and "alumni" things that would spank your socks off. So enjoy the product from the stands once or twice a year, then get out there and DO something. Have fun--you're not dead...yet.

Interesting, for there is a low key group of guys and gals playing in your area. You can always come over and check us out. Minicorps class at this point, so no huge time commitment. There isn't much there yet, but out the Star United link below or search for us on youtube.

Is this limited to Star alums? That was my impression.

Please, tell me it's limited to Star alums. Pllllllleeeeeeeease. I can't afford a divorce right now.

(Although, I see that you also rehearse at Carmel High School - where I graduated in 1985, and was in Dick Saucedo's first band there in 1982)

Ummm... Star United? Two Time Minicorps World Champions.

Feelthe uuurrrggge....

For the sake of marital harmony I've stuck my head in the sand about this group.

[handsoverears]lalalalalalalai'mnotlisteingi'mnotlisteninglalalalalalala[/handsoverears]

.....Bridgemen, Kingsmen, 27th = Reformed non competing corps

[my personal opinions, not Official Kingsmen Positions]

We're the Kingsmen Alumni because we will have a Kingsmen Jr corps.

If the group morphs into competing units AND we develop a preponderance of non-alumns, *maybe* WE'll change our name.

But we're the Kingsmen - we do what we want, we do DC when we want, and we do DC how we want.

...and THAT's why many of our previously-non-alum KAC-brethren wanted to march Kingsmen Alumni Corps...

Edited by GuyW