Never Be With Another Corps (even Alumni type)

Could be MIke, but I took his post at face value.......your observation is logical (thanks Spock). Perhaps he could clarify his intent? That would be helpful to make this thread a continuing worthwhile subject.

I've had personal experience with various philosophies concerning competitive corps, both junior and senior and "alumni" corps. All of the expectations and approaches are good as long as the entire organization agrees. This statement is mostly for the "alumni" portion of the activity. Some organization expect to present themselves with a high degree of playing ability that comes very close to that of their identity and levels from years past. Some corps that come to mind are the Caballeros, Bridgemen and Anaheim. New groups like The Music Express are also included with the corps that look for an increase in demand from their programs.

Other more mature corps (speaking of both age of members and years in the 'alumni' grouping) are content and still vibrant segments of the activity with a moderate level of demand and are more geared towards a social aspect. Archie, Yankee Rebels and Reilly come to mind in this latter group.

Is any philosophy better than any other??? Emphatically NO! Each is a contributor to the activity at the level to which they aspire. I enjoy all corps at all levels and hope that most readers do. We must all come to recognize that there will be differing expectations from the audience and differing philosophies from the organizations. As long as we keep that in balance we'll have fewer non-drum corps people taking the attitude that syndicated columnist Dick West did in an article from 1963 in which he responded to the naming of a national Drum & Bugle Corps week by President John Kennedy.

Specifically he addressed a notion that most people thought of the activity "as the musical equivalent of halitosis" and that all music played by corps "sounds like 'When It's Five O'clock I Italy, It's Wednesday Over Here'".

That column evoked an outpour of response from the minions of the activity. So much so that he almost retracted his statements in the following column, comparing corpsmen to "kamikazi pilots or zither players" tin their devotion to their respective corps and the activity.

OK....that's enuf for now......

J

This is just a wild guess....but maybe his '25' comment is geared more towards those who have moved on after HS and college and have not kept up their skills, and who are now picking their horn back up after a long layoff. I can't imagine he is referring to folks who have continued to perform since college. Could be wrong though....maybe he is.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that most people especially those who marched in junior corps in one way or another have "peaked" as far as amount of time practicing while in drum corps. Lets be honest, you would be hard pressed to find any 25-30 years old who practices as much as a 22 year old in drum corps. Therefore the less you practice, the more the product suffers.

However, most people who take up golf after drum corp find their scores lower during their 25-30 's. Why??? More time playing than when in drum corps.

But that is my 2 cents.

Now I would rather hit a Titleist than a High C.

My point is that most people especially those who marched in junior corps in one way or another have "peaked" as far as amount of time practicing while in drum corps. Lets be honest, you would be hard pressed to find any 25-30 years old who practices as much as a 22 year old in drum corps. Therefore the less you practice, the more the product suffers.

Score one for Captain Obvious. I think this logic would work for anything requring a certain level of practice to maintain a high level of proficiency. But thank for explaining your earlier comments more clearly.

However, most people who take up golf after drum corp find their scores lower during their 25-30 's. Why??? More time playing than when in drum corps.

No duh.

But that is my 2 cents.

Here's your penny change.

I would rather you hit the Titleist, too.

For what it's worth, my wife and I were invited to participate in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps as far back as July 2005. After carefully reviewing our schedules, the travel requirements, and the two year old baby, we decided we couldn't parcticipate at the level we would demand of ourselves to represent the Anaheim Kingsmen.

You just can't paint the alumni scene with such a broad brush. Juniors, all-age and alumni may all be apples. Alumni tend to be more like Granny Smiths...crunchy and tart!

Garry in Vegas

But that is my 2 cents.

I was a much better player when i wasnt marching drum corps. Div 1 corps aint exactly 'it' when it comes to the world of brass playing....

Because at age 21 or 22 it's time to move on in life.

Plus after age 25 tone quality goes right out the window.

They sound no better than some bad high school bands.

It's alright to remember the past,as long as you don't live in it.

Sorry but just my opinion.

<**> WOW <**>

You must think me mad!

I've hunted you across the years!

Men like you can never change,

a man such as you

NOOOOOOW 24601!

My duty's to the law,

YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS,

come with me 24601.

Now the wheel has turned around,

Jean Valjean is nothing now!

:doh: What ? :doh:

Therefore the less you practice, the more the product suffers.

Wrong. Quality of rehearsal time (and overall talent) has more impact than quantity of rehearsal time.

Perhaps someday I'll grow up so I can pursue more age-appropriate activities. In the mean time, I'll just have to put up with the wonderful friends, performance adrenaline, great music and standing ovations.

Wrong. Quality of rehearsal time (and overall talent) has more impact than quantity of rehearsal time.

Perhaps someday I'll grow up so I can pursue more age-appropriate activities. In the mean time, I'll just have to put up with the wonderful friends, performance adrenaline, great music and standing ovations.

That's a big AMEN brother.......

Because at age 21 or 22 it's time to move on in life.

Plus after age 25 tone quality goes right out the window.

They sound no better than some bad high school bands.

It's alright to remember the past,as long as you don't live in it.

Sorry but just my opinion.

Heh, I was at my peak after 30 and I had quit playing for five years, from age 19 to 24, since marching junior corps. I practiced my ### off for about a month and got back into the groove. Eventually, I was playing with people you've either listened to or have heard of. Not bad for being 25-35.

I don't anticipate marching after I age-out. I'd rather teach.

Sorry if that's completely unrelated to the discussion. I didn't actually read any of the posts.

And Einstein, what's with all the Les Mis references? I mean, it's funny, I just don't get it.