Why we do this Alumni/Exhibition corps thing.....

Well said Frank. It's what the 'alumni' activity started out to be. Bringing those memories to the audience. It didn't have to be the exact arrangement, played the exact same way to be nostalgic.......

Heck 2008 will be my 32nd year involved in that segment of the activity and my 48th overall......I however, change my sox....sometimes frequently.........can't wait to see you guys at our show in November.

Jim

Funny you mention sox Jim....I haven't changed my corps sox since 2000....the last year I competed.

THAT is why I do this alumni thing! LOL

Naw.....to me, it's a release from my every day stresses of work and family, although I have never really stopped since 1978. 2008 will mark my 31st consecutive marching season, whether it be with a competing corps, parade corps, mini corps, or alumni corps. I just really enjoy playing for the crowd, and watching the standing "O"s along the way. And if I could help someone in the stands "remember when", then I know my mission has been accomplished!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Frank. It's what the 'alumni' activity started out to be. Bringing those memories to the audience. It didn't have to be the exact arrangement, played the exact same way to be nostalgic.......

Heck 2008 will be my 32nd year involved in that segment of the activity and my 48th overall......I however, change my sox....sometimes frequently.........can't wait to see you guys at our show in November.

Jim

Sox?? What about shorts???lol

Now her sister and bro-in-law ride motorcycles. My line now is "At least me doing corps is safer than me riding a Harley". B)

That's funny

Funny you mention sox Jim....I haven't changed my corps sox since 2000....the last year I competed.

THAT is why I do this alumni thing! LOL

Naw.....to me, it's a release from my every day stresses of work and family, although I have never really stopped since 1978. 2008 will mark my 31st consecutive marching season, whether it be with a competing corps, parade corps, mini corps, or alumni corps. I just really enjoy playing for the crowd, and watching the standing "O"s along the way. And if I could help someone in the stands "remember when", then I know my mission has been accomplished!!

Great reasons. This is my 44th continuous year in drum corps in one form or another.

Same as Frank, I play and watch the crowd stand, but in my case I have to say, "Oh crap, they're leaving!"

b**bs

Next year will mark 50 years for me in the activity. People have said that drum corps is an addiction. Well it it is but, unlike booze or drugs it's an addiction to being around great people, many who have become extended family to me over the years. Plus I still get a rush playing in front of people.

Been playing since 1962 and now play with Blessed Sacrament alumni. Why do I still do it? Comraderie, enjoyment, just plain love doing the DC thing. Playing in front of crowds and hearing the applause and standing O's when we finish with America or Emblem. (although nothing like the '70 Dream at Roosevelt Stadium with BSGK during Free Again and you could not hear anything except the crowd). Don't attend too many shows now being that I live in GA now, but still travel up to NJ a couple of times per year. Was up at the Archie 75th Anniversary event on Saturday and caught up with a lot of old friends. (Right Robbie?). Never too old to keep playing and marching. :blink:

Bob! Time to start an alumni corps in GA!

Ahhhhhh Joe......sox, oui, les pantalons, mais non

Joe

Sox?? What about shorts???lol

Hey Frankie........think HAM!!!!! LOLOL

Next year will mark 50 years for me in the activity. People have said that drum corps is an addiction. Well it it is but, unlike booze or drugs it's an addiction to being around great people, many who have become extended family to me over the years. Plus I still get a rush playing in front of people.

Long story but simple question raised on another thread.....

Why do members of exhibition (aka Alumni) corps still do this DC thing? Or in cases like mine come back after a few years or decades.

To relive past glories?

To create new glories?

To be able to still play the horn and entertain people?

Cheap beer at the rehearsal site (had to throw in a smart ### choice ^0^ )

To get the #### out of the house!!!

Whatever else.....

For me it's playing music again, having a outlet couple of days a month and #1

Entertain people and help them forget their problems for a while... :)

This is a great thread!! I'm doing this for practially all of the same reasons that have been stated, but also being able to live out a dream of mine conceived when I first saw the Cabs back in 1977 in Allentown. Now I get to play that very same music to thunderous crowd reactions thirty years down the road!! Living the Drum Corps Dream for me!! Not to mention all of the newfound friends that I've now made these last two years!!! Its THEE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

"Why do members of....Alumni...corps....do this DC thing?

To relive past glories?"

Yep. Aged out too soon, didn't get my fill at the highest level of DC.

To show who the Anaheim Kingsmen were...and are...

"To create new glories?"

Yep - Kingsmen have been gone too long. And to challenge the current trumpet-and-dance-troupe pretenders by presenting traditional drum corps.

"To play the horn again" after 30+ years and entertain people who apparently think that only "young" people can actually accomplish things.

Edited by GuyW