It's called DRUM & BUGLE Corps

heh ~ twirlers can grow up to be great guard members . . . :doh:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh ~ twirlers can grow up to be great guard members . . . :doh:

I see a twirler, think of the Ann Stevens Twirlers & Drum & Bell Corps, and think ... There but for the grace of [Fill in Deity of your choice], go I ... B)

LOL I find that I still sneer.~giggles~

It's the mentality I grew up with.

Us and them. Band vs Drum Corps

In a band you have a greater variety of instrumentation.

In drum corps you only 4-6 different brass voices and percussion.

My Dad said it best.

He found it" a greater challenge to reproduce the sound of a band or orchestra, with the limited # of interments in a drum and bugle corps".

As for my sneer,

I guess it's my age, I keep reminding myself that my own father stirred things up, like George Hopkins, in his day.

My sneer is because I kind of resent bands trying to reshape drum corp.

I see what it's done to dci and try as I might, for the most part, I just can't get into the style of music they play now. It just seems better suited for a formal orchestra. Brilliantly done! Don't get me wrong.

Again, how I was raised, I like to hear music that will attract the general public with stuff that is arranged to attract all ages. Stuff that you hear on the radio or t.v. and broadway.

Personally, I really like the new guard vs the old. But the new guards are not being taught the old protocols.

When I was with Buccs guard in 2004 The honor guard needed some girls to fill spots. No one knew how to do it! They didn't have a clue.

I'm not dissing the girls. My point is that they should be taught some basics in that regard.

Sorry if I rambled off topic. I'm sick as a dog. LOL

Picked up something at the Archie show last weekend.All that hugging and kissing hello. ~grins~

In my days in JR. Corps and Marine Corps Drum Corps, the same saying kept coming up...."The only good band..is a rubber band"

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today's DRUM & BUGLE CORPS contest is sponsored by D.C.A.

Please welcome the authentic, often traditional, all-age, mostly b-flat but sometimes G-bugled corps to the field.

Be advised: you may hear familiar songs like Magnificent 7, Espana Cani, Shangri-La, Elks Parade, Georgia, and Maria Fanfare at some point during the show. And you might hear 'em LOUD.

Take every necessary precaution.

You may also see an American Flag and witness a color presentation. Do NOT be alarmed as that is the delivery of tradition and entertainment you came to expect as the paying customer.

Though they will NOT use narration, you may actually hear a melody during some portion of the performance. This is normal.

Whistling or humming "Raphsody in Blue" , "Carmen" or "Birdland" on your way out of the stadium is acceptable behavior.

If you catch a Star United, Renegades Mini-Corps or Empire Statesmen performance, please note that if you smile long enough, your face may stick that way!! b**bs

Soon it will just be DRUM corps since more and more corps are straying away from BUGLES... So thank you to the FEW and the PROUD keeping it real!

In my days in JR. Corps and Marine Corps Drum Corps, the same saying kept coming up...."The only good band..is a rubber band"

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

great response!!! got anymore great sayings? ^OO^

The Govies have had narration for a long time, I talk all the time. :P

Nothing keeps you in business longer then telling the people who are paying the bills, "thanks for coming to the show"

Bands do it all the time, why not drum corps? :doh:

This is a BIG difference from what you do so well John! Talking to the crowd is bar none better than the narration that happens when they tell the story of their show! It only took a few years for DCA to figure out that in my mind that you are the best drum major in Class A. keep up the great work!

your parents are smiling down from the perily gates and are extremely proud of Mike, Molly and yourself for your accomplishments!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by contraphanatic

ixnay on the archingmay impstay ... Marching timps are criminal, and should be outlawed in all civilized countries. The glocks, well, that's just wrong ... Next thing you'll be wanting to add twirlers.

Hey Crusaders had a guy twirling a baton, didn't they? Back in the late 70s or early 80s? He was good!