It's called DRUM & BUGLE Corps

You both may be right. Many corps folded that never had "national" aspirations. There was a time when members of smaller corps in local circuits knew little of what happened in other regions. The standard against which their members compared themselves was the closest geograhpical rival and smaller ponds may have allowed smaller fish to feel bigger. DCI plus technology may have changed the measuring sticks and made smaller corps seem "small time" even though the smaller units required big commitments of time and effort. In addition, (back to bands) as bands learned from corps, beefed up their staffs, bought shows from corps designers and became "corps-like" (or "corps-light"), smaller corps may have suffered in comparison to bands as well. These phenomena may have caused kids in areas served by relatively local-centric corps to lose interest.

Yeah, I see, and would agree with what you're saying because many things contributed to the discontinuation of lots of organizations from the post WWII era, ( I presume we're talking baby boomer corps).

The quote below is the point I've been trying to make over and over. I usually get,"Nope, no it didn't. Never happened, see ya, bye, you're wrong".

DCI plus technology may have changed the measuring sticks and made smaller corps seem "small time" even though the smaller units required big commitments of time and effort. In addition, (back to bands) as bands learned from corps, beefed up their staffs, bought shows from corps designers and became "corps-like" (or "corps-light"), smaller corps may have suffered in comparison to bands as well. These phenomena may have caused kids in areas served by relatively local-centric corps to lose interest.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I see, and would agree with what you're saying because many things contributed to the discontinuation of lots of organizations from the post WWII era, ( I presume we're talking baby boomer corps).

The quote below is the point I've been trying to make over and over. I usually get,"Nope, no it didn't. Never happened, see ya, bye, you're wrong".

well if none else agrees with you i do. thos that don't ,don't know the history or are just sheep waiting for the slaughter. believe me there are lots of sheep in the world.

In my days in JR. Corps and Marine Corps Drum Corps, the same saying kept coming up...."The only good band..is a rubber band"

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Happy Birthday old timer !! :wub::doh::wub: ^OO^ :mmm: :wub:

Happy Birthday old timer !! :wub::doh::wub: ^OO^ :mmm: :wub:

Thanks....61 in about49 minutes.......now to make it to 62.The radiation helped, and now the Chemo is doing it's job. Can't wait to get back into Park City's Snare Line.

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

No disrespect intended.

My point is

drum and bugle corps use to consist of troubled teens being taken off the streets.

Being guided and taught discipline and respect. Taught from scratch how to play an interment. For free!

Taught by instructors who did it for practically nothing. Just for the love of it.

Now those kids aren't afforded this opportunity any more.

That loss pains me!

Now junior corps consist primarily of kids who've been in bands all thru school. Kids with families with resources. Financial support.

FINANCIAL ! Don't get me started on that one!

It's all about the almighty score!

Not enough variety in instrumentation!

Lets incorporate some woodwinds and saxophones!

What is that?

This is drum and bugle corps!

We are slowly loosing, what drum corps is/was, all about. It's history and traditions.

The underprivileged kids!

Every single one of us in here has an opinion on this subject, so don't go disrespecting me for having one of my own.

For feeling passionately about what's been lost.

BTW This is a cool subject for debate.

:doh: I'm 100% behind you sister ! Communities need to get back in step with the younger generation , such as getting neighborhood groups together again . In the east such as the New York , New Jersy , and New England etc And the midwest circuit's there were all kind's of mom & pop drum & bugle corps and drum & baton corps . You are absolutly right we need thing's like this again . Everything is just moving way to fast anymore ! Drum&Bugle even the smaller one's are for the privilaged few ! There are some exception's , actually guite a few where alot of kid's work there butt's off to earn money just to march the corp of there choice . But without the proper training and instruction they get sent home . So where do they go then ? Div 2 maybe Div 3 or possibly back on the street . Woodwind's are not the answer those same kid's can march in their high school bands if they want do that .

Thanks....61 in about49 minutes.......now to make it to 62.The radiation helped, and now the Chemo is doing it's job. Can't wait to get back into Park City's Snare Line.

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

I'll say some prayer's for you Jim Signed - Jeff - GLASSMEN

:doh: I'm 100% behind you sister ! Communities need to get back in step with the younger generation , such as getting neighborhood groups together again . In the east such as the New York , New Jersy , and New England etc And the midwest circuit's there were all kind's of mom & pop drum & bugle corps and drum & baton corps . You are absolutly right we need thing's like this again . Everything is just moving way to fast anymore ! Drum&Bugle even the smaller one's are for the privilaged few ! There are some exception's , actually guite a few where alot of kid's work there butt's off to earn money just to march the corp of there choice . But without the proper training and instruction they get sent home . So where do they go then ? Div 2 maybe Div 3 or possibly back on the street . Woodwind's are not the answer those same kid's can march in their high school bands if they want do that .

So can all of the other ones you mention. There is no real need for those corps anymore...school music programs are a better place to focus.