Blue Devils; The Next 50 Years

So the question I am posing is pretty straight forward. What should the Blue Devils look and sound like from season 51 and beyond?

To start things off I think BD needs to come out next season totally different to what they have been doing for a while now. I would love to see them pick 3 (4 max) pieces of music and max them out. I don't know about anyone else but I am pretty tired of them (And others) picking 6 or 8 pieces of music to draw from. All you really get is a measure here and a measure there of a tune. Also, these chromatic chord builds have kind of run its course as well. So, I would like to see big changes in song selection and arranging.

Blue Devils presenting BLUES.......that would be cool. And with their hornlines ability to express....I cant even imagine how good it would sound.

Discuss...........

Sorry for any typos........ :doh:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an odd topic. 50 years is a long time. We're assuming there is going to be drum corps in 50 year.

They will still wear blue. They will still play jazz. Any questions?

They should look and sound like the Blue Devils, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

And without flutes or clarinets.

Oh, and a new Chick Corea show.

Edited by DKracing

I would certainly love to see BD pick 3 or 4 songs and actually play the chart, rather that bits and pieces. More straight up sultry, sizzlin' jazz, and lots of latin influence. I was away from the activity for some years, and when a friend played their Godfather thing, I swear I didn't believe him when he said it was The Blue Devils. I felt a little teased with a little bit of Pegasus, which sounded great,IMO. As far a looks, I am really old school here. Bring back the old uniforms, a la "86- spats and all! I like their current uniforms for what they are, and think they do look good on the field. I just think that there's not enough distinction between a lot of corps styles. These BD uniforms, to me, are lacking something- that Blue Devil "attitude ( for lack of a better word). Just my humble opinion...

Spats would be incredible. They've already got really clean feet and it would be a nice continuum with the line-down-the-leg. Perhaps just one spat?

Hmm...the possibilities.

Corps who do all-original music aside, drum corps has always been about playing bits of music from full pieces.

If any corps doesn't need 'fixing' suggestions, it's bd. Like any other corps, their shows are hit or miss for me on any given year, and I just look forward to another 50 great years...if I'm around that long :doh: