Crown vs. Bluecoats in ‘07

glory

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and seeing the hate the Cadets narration got, can you blame them? (I agree with the narration hate, however)

I just don't know why they added it at all...the race was pretty self-explanatory...narration was NOT needed...or even helpful...or enjoyable

The narration held off until they were able to make it work, and the show was adjusted to its final product. The staff wanted to do it right.

Based on the narraration attempts I have seen, they did a great job. It was effective, not over bearing, and was well scripted and well spoken.

It's an interesting point. I don't claim to be a CG judge or even to understand fully the criteria for excellence. Nonetheless, it did seem to me finals week that Cavies and Crown were credited for performances that without doubt were excellent but maybe seemed sometimes less daring or less difficult than others who trailed in the rankings.

Which bring me to a broader point. I wonder if much of the acclaim for Crown's show in general derives from the fact that it was less complicated (and by that I mean in part less demanding) than Bluecoats or other shows that finished higher? On some level, are we fans inclined to reward a corps for a more excellent performance of a simple design than another who maybe perfects less but achieves more because it attempts more?

HH

I don't claim to be a CG judge either, but one reason Crown's guard ranked so high was the DIFFICULTY of their work. Perhaps it wasn't obvious to some because it was done so well (clean). Crown started the season doing their complete show, and if you look back at old threads, you will see a lot of comments about how CLEAN their show was for so early in the season.

I think a lot of people thought Crown's show lacked difficulty simply because they performed it so well they made it look EASY. :D

I think a lot of people thought Crown's show lacked difficulty simply because they performed it so well they made it look EASY.

I'm fully prepared to admit that I might be wrong in my estimation that Crown's show might not have had the level of difficulty that some shows higher-ranked shows did. BUT, if that's the case, then does the lower score reflect the fact that Crown executed less well? I'm asking, not saying.

HH

I thought both shows were excellent and I'd never really been a huge fan of either corps. It was definitely Crown's best show since 95. Coats' show was my favorite since 89.

They both have a fan in me now. I even have a souvenir laser/dog leash! Thanks snare guy (see--I didn't put it on eBay).