Hornline Chord Progression

So now that the B-flat horns are the "now" as far as many DCI hornlines go, there are a new amount of emerging chord progressions that come around. As many know the Blue Devils have their "Space Chords" and that has become one of the most popular and one of their signature warm-ups during their horn arc. My question to everyone is this: Are their any hornline progressions out there besides the Space Chords or no?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now that the B-flat horns are the "now" as far as many DCI hornlines go, there are a new amount of emerging chord progressions that come around. As many know the Blue Devils have their "Space Chords" and that has become one of the most popular and one of their signature warm-ups during their horn arc. My question to everyone is this: Are their any hornline progressions out there besides the Space Chords or no?

Yes. Just about everyone does their own set of chord progressions

Yeah, millions

It's not that hard to just slap some chords together and give them to your hornline

Okay, maybe not millions. But you get the idea, it's no big woop.

Every corps usually has a good set of chord progressions, some of my favorites have recently been from cadets and vanguard. I also dont think it has a lot to do with B flat horns either, these have been around for awhile, space music came out in the late 70s or 80s, maybe the older guys can help me there but I know its been around since the jack meehan days.

Yeah, every line has their own chord progressions.

The most common consist of Sustaining the root, adding the 5th and then the 3rd. and then progressing up to the an inverted Tonic chord. It's the "F" tuning blue devils use.

I've recently heard horn lines progress 9, 11, and 13 chords and all other type of weird chords. Usually it's impact chords that are found in the show. Kinda smart get the line acustom to hearing the chord being built so they recognize the tuning tendancies of each pitch, so when they're played in the show it locked in right away.

the chord progression that cadets played in 03 (played quietly, sang, played.....i know they at least played it during their murray, KY warmup, if anyone possibly remembers that)....i THINK it was the "real" white dawn....does anyone know if thats correct? im sure id recognize it if i heard it.

same progression.

i could be wrong, but i think derek gipson brought it to capital regiment when he left cadets.