DCI 2007; 4th through 7th Place

Just like the judges saw it.

I tend to agree with the judges 95% of the time; it is funny to see how many people disagree, especially when a large percentage of DCP hasn't yet seen the DCI Finals performances. I haven't watched the Finals DVDs yet, so I can only assume that the corps were representative of how they performed in quarters and semis.

SCV, Crown, and the Bluecoats were so close, it probably just came down to whichever corps had the best night. Even though it seems like Phantom lost some steam in Finals, they appeared (to me, at least) clearly above the three "5th place corps" in quarters and semis. Between the Coats and Crown... too close for me to call. Although the Vanguard's music has really grown on me, I still felt that they were barely behind Blooo and Crown musically (of course, the semifinals webcast isn't exactly the best indicator for music...), and I'm one of those old timers who values music ahead of visual.

The 5th-7th placements this year were, for all intents and purposes, a tie. I can only wonder what minuscule details caused the corps to finish with different scores. I think this is the best 5th-7th place group ever, and I have a feeling whichever corps end up in those slots next year will be just as strong (if not better!).

Edited by Harmonious Cacophony

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, without going into the 4th through 7th thing, id put phantom in 3rd and move the cavies into that group.....probably in 6th.

agreed......cavies def. got the benefit of the doubt for their name. but this was probably the dirtiest and weakest performance level from them this decade by far. although i did enjoy some of their show quite a bit it just wasnt 3rd caliber. my picks based off jared's idea of moving phantom to 3rd

4th - coats

5th - cavies

6th- SCV

7th- Crown

Crown and SCV are a tough one because they have such diverse execution levels from different captions. But SCV's show had much more demand so i would give them the nod. Coats got screwed IMHO....what a hornline and drumline they had! and a very cool show package. better luck to the judges next year

If you were the judge on finals night, and had complete control over every caption... how would you have ranked the 4-7 corps?

For me...

4th - Crown

5th - Bluecoats

6th - Phantom Regiment

7th - SCV

Thoughts?

4th - Bluecoats

5th - Phantom Regiment

6th - SCV

7th - Crown

Actually, a toss up for me on whether Bluecoats should have been third above Cavaliers. And since we're at it, I had Cadets in 1st over BD by a smidge.

I see a lot of people putting SCV in 4th or even 3rd... why?

First of all, I loved PR, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats this year. That being said, I'll tell you why I put SCV 3rd. The total package was there. Great music (sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I loved it), awesome drill (much cleaner than Bluecaosts, Crown, Phantom and Cavies), great execution, tons of subtlety, etc. I was captivated start to finish.

Cavies were dirty visually and didn't connect with me musically. I just didn't see the GE in this show, nor the execution. Phantom was great, but they were dirty visually, and they had a lot of tone quality issues in the brass section. Crown and Bluecoats were awesome musically, but I don't think they could edge out SCV in drill. Crown had the best guard of the bunch though. 4th through 7th were all amazing, and in the end, who really cares. I know I'll be listening to 4th to 7th place (and many more lower than that as well) very often. Top 3? meh.

Personally, I found myself disagreeing with many of the comments I read on DCP from those only watching the webcast. I just don't see how watching the broadcast via computer is a substitute for watching the live performance.

That being said, I'll tell you why I put SCV 3rd. The total package was there. Great music

I could not disagree more. I thought the potential considering their source music was endless, and what they came up with was, aside from really nice, loud big chords along the way, fairly forgettable stuff.

I could not disagree more. I thought the potential considering their source music was endless, and what they came up with was, aside from really nice, loud big chords along the way, fairly forgettable stuff.

That's the beauty of it. We are all entitled to our opinions. I can't get some of their stuff out of my head.

First of all, I loved PR, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats this year. That being said, I'll tell you why I put SCV 3rd. The total package was there. Great music (sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but personally I loved it), awesome drill (much cleaner than Bluecaosts, Crown, Phantom and Cavies), great execution, tons of subtlety, etc.

I am a huge music guy. It is critical that a shows music hits me over the head....at some point during the drum corps season. I saw SCV four times live and once on a webcast. Unfortunately SCV's music didn't grab me. In regards to drill; their drill design was the best of the year.

Overall I think their choice for a 40th Anniversary show could have been A LOT better. It reminds me of the Cavaliers 1997 Firebird Show; very little feeling of an anniversary show.