Drum Corps and Pro Sports

And that Rockies game was the first (and only to my knowledge) 1-0 game in Coors Field history! Brett Montgomery said it best, we saw the most boring baseball game in history! The 2006 BK Winter Brass got to play America the Beautiful at the Home Opener that year! It was great, because we knew for a fact that we played to the largest crowd the Rockies would see that year. Everything after opening day is a down hill slope....

I knew there was something significantly terrible about that, but I just couldn't remember what it was.

Still, it was fun to do.

I know Cadets played at the Olympics in 1996....actually, I think it was 96, but I could be wrong on the year. I saw the video once...it's weird watching them play their show without yard lines!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 83 and 84, the Knights played the Anthem at White Sox games. My conducting debut as DM was a Quad City Angels baseball game at John O'Donnell Stadium in 1988.

I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers played either halftime or pregame of a Monday Night Football preseason game in 1990, I believe. Can any Cavies help me out with this? I remember watching the game, and I could hear the corps in the background, but they didn't show any of the performance.

I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers played either halftime or pregame of a Monday Night Football preseason game in 1990, I believe. Can any Cavies help me out with this? I remember watching the game, and I could hear the corps in the background, but they didn't show any of the performance.

I confirmed what I remembered. This is from the Cavaliers' Web site, recalling 1990:

"While in Buffalo we were asked to perform for the half time of a Bills and Giants game. All I remember about it was that football fans are nothing like drum corps fans. As we lined up to go on people were making fun of our uniforms and throwing things at us. One drunken New Yorker had propositioned me to trade my hat for his beer. After careful consideration I had to decline the offer."

In 1983 SCV did a half-time show for the United States Football League Oakland Invaders.

It was pretty funny watching this guy on the sidelines offering a mic for the soloists during the show.

In 1972 the San Leandro Royalaires performed at one of the Oakland A's playoff games. I remember Glen Campbell sang the National Anthem and butchered it. He got the verses all mixed up. "O' say can you see" went off without a hitch but where he should have sang "Whose broad stripes and bright stars" he sings "And the rockets red glare.... The bombs bursting in air....Gave proof through the night .... That our flag was still there :rolleyes:

Right notes and rhythm, wrong stanza. That should've made someone's blooper reel but I've never seen a replay since.

1973 Royalaires did halftime at a Raiders game against Miami I believe. For some reason this game was played at Cal Berkeley's stadium, probably because the A's were finishing up another World Series Championship.

1974 Royal Commodores played halftime at a Chicago Fire game at Soldier Field (World Football League). We actually got the fans to notice us. This was my very first experience with astroturf. Kind of a shame this league didn't make it because it had a summer schedule and we were on tour when we did this gig. Anyone else do any WFL games?

Edited by Russellrks

WINDJAMMERS (Coast Guard Academy) did Redskins v Giants at the Meadowlands in 1989

...and Saints v Patriots at Foxboro in 1990.

We got booed in New Jersey.

Someone already mentioned Blue Knights performing Rockies games and when I marched we also did that. Once each in 95 and 96.

What no one has mentioned yet is that we did a standstill at Bandimere Speedway (a drag strip) in 95 for an NHRA event. We actually played parts of our show for that. It was hysterical because we (the guard) didn't wear shoes that year, but of course we wore the proverbial Keds for this performance. For those that don't know how dragsters "stick" to the drag strip, it's called tar. Lots and lots of shredded, melted tar from the tires of the cars that race on the track.

So we march onto the drag strip from the starting line to get closer to the audience during the "halftime." The directions given to us were to march straight on, then halt when called and then turn toward the audience when the DM called "Set." As the guard marched on the track we knew immediately it would be a problem because as soon as we hit the active part of the track where the tar strip starts we were struggling just to keep our shoes on. Marching was no longer possible. It was curl your toes, pull the leg up and focus on the next step and keeping your shoes on! All that went through our heads was, "Oh no, oh no, oh no. Please stay on. Please don't let me fall flat on my face in front of all these people." Finally, we were called to a halt, the DM waited a few moments and called, "Set." WE COULDN'T MOVE! :huh: All of a sudden we start glancing at one another, shrugged our shoulders a bit and then just turned our upper body 45 degrees towards the audience. Thank goodness it was early on in the season so the guard's work consisted of right shoulder arm. I think the corps only played two of our numbers, maybe three and the whole time I just remember seeing lots of lower body squirming and a little giggling in the guard while we tried to figure out how in the hell we were going to get off of this track when the corps was done playing.

The corps finished and we started to march off of the track. Typically as a guard member you want to look graceful and ladylike wth nice posture, but at this point we just wanted to make it off of the track... period. All I can say is, it wasn't pretty. We weren't in step and it took us a count or two to initially release each foot from the inches of tar. From what I remember it wasn't as bad for the rest of the corps because their shoes didn't seem to stick nearly as much as our little Keds. Plus, in our skimply little guard outfits it was VERY obvious we were struggling and it just wasn't as noticeable in the corps uniforms. Though some of them did have some problems in the tar, there weren't that many and they had a grand time making fun of us because they could see our beautiful marching technique on and off of the track.

It was sad because many of us in the guard had to throw away those Keds after their "one performance" and buy a new pair for the rest of the season.

Definitely a memorable experience though. :P

'86 Madison - played at the halftime of a packer pre-season game at Camp Randall. Don't remember who the pack was playing and we split immediately after the performance because we had to hit the road. It was awesome marching through the tunnel in to a packed stadium! When I was the director at New Richmond HS (WI) we performed at the halftime of a Sunday night ESPN game between the Packers and the Broncos at Lambeau - Favre vs. Elway - a classic - we got to watch the whole game on the field at about the 25 yard line. Reggie White single-handedly ended an Elway comeback by sacking him twice in a row to end the game - right in front me! I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Edited by madbaridm

Troopers used to perform at a Denver Bronco regular season game every year in the 70's. How they did it I don't know, because back then NFL season wouldn't start until mid September. Back when most corps were local kids. I know it wasn't a preseason game because I never went to one.

Here's a post I recently made on the DCA/Alumni version of this thread, about a special Sunday in September 1970:

"An interesting aside: In 1970 I returned home to Queens from playing a Giants halftime in Yankee Stadium with the Cabs (Giants-L.A. Rams, I believe), and turned on the Denver Broncos-Oakland Raiders game. Halftime was just starting, and the Troopers came off the line to a tremendous roar from the crowd. I thought, "How cool is this? -- DCA Champs in NY at the Giants game, and World Open Jr. Champs in Denver." How lucky was a corps fan that day who might have been able to catch them both on television? I believe that performance was featured in their classic film "The Troopers Are Coming," issued shortly after that. You can see the stands at Mile High were packed on both sides, so it most likely it was a halftime and not a drum corps show.

Don't ask how/why I remember this so well 37 years later, but I just do. I guess it was just a special day."