The cost of drum corps;-)

Couple thousand + foreign exchange loss. Anything costing 100$ US in 1999 was costing me 150$CAD+. <**>

With the CAD dollar being as strong/stronger than the US dollar now, I just chose a bad time to stop marching!!! :ph34r:

It's all worth it though :)

I should add that I had to stop junior corps for college in 1998-1999. So I joined Brigs instead, good alternative for me at the time as I didn't want to completely stop marching.

I got the graphic design college degree in 2000, and in 2001 I started working for a financial holding company in the treasury department. Go figure. :ph34r:

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to stop doing corps when I got out of college and best offer I had included doing rotating shifts (all 3 shifts in 4 weeks) to start out. But at least this place gave me the opportunity to move to the job I really wanted when it opened up. Nothing like looking for a long term job during a recession and more experienced people are at the same interview. :(

Hmmm, what would be the difference between marching and working at MickyDs back then or not marching and being where I am today..... :sshh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Couple thousand + foreign exchange loss. Anything costing 100$ US in 1999 was costing me 150$CAD+. <**>

With the CAD dollar being as strong/stronger than the US dollar now, I just chose a bad time to stop marching!!! :ph34r:

It's all worth it though :)

I should add that I had to stop junior corps for college in 1998-1999. So I joined Brigs instead, good alternative for me at the time as I didn't want to completely stop marching.

I got the graphic design college degree in 2000, and in 2001 I started working for a financial holding company in the treasury department. Go figure. :ph34r:

"Counting The Cost":

The cost is nothing compared to the experience. b**bs

I also managed to attain an "Degree". :sshh:

It was in "Advanced Witchcraft". ^0^

Elphaba

How are we supposed to calculate the costs? % of vehicle life used for drumcorps times the cost of that vehicle, plus gas for mileagle? Hours invested times minimum wage, with time and a half for hours > 8 in a single 24 hour period? Loss of job? Change to an underemployed job to facilitate a drumcorps schedule. Less the costs of a gym, shrink, and physical therapy had I not done drumcorps? Just curious.

Let's not forget about divorce fees, alamony, and child support. :ph34r:

With this post I may become the absolute bad guy of DCA. BUt I hafta ask.(hey..my PHD is in economics;-)

I didnt choose to do the "alumni thing" (woulda been St Joes;-)and I stopped marching at age 23 and headed to academia and a paycheck.

But had I actually done it(woulda been CRU..and maybe CABs...I figure it would have cost me 2.1 million(honest,,,I did figure it out!)

Anyone actually figure out what drum corps has cost you in career advancement, OT and gross income???..NOT a flame...just wondering.

If you dropped 2.1mil, you must have one heck of a job - or a need to spend lots of $$ on plane fares for drum corps.

With this post I may become the absolute bad guy of DCA. BUt I hafta ask.(hey..my PHD is in economics;-)

I didnt choose to do the "alumni thing" (woulda been St Joes;-)and I stopped marching at age 23 and headed to academia and a paycheck.

But had I actually done it(woulda been CRU..and maybe CABs...I figure it would have cost me 2.1 million(honest,,,I did figure it out!)

Anyone actually figure out what drum corps has cost you in career advancement, OT and gross income???..NOT a flame...just wondering.

If you dropped 2.1mil, you must have one heck of a job - or a need to spend lots of $$ on plane fares for drum corps.

Didn't he say he hasn't marched since he was 23? I'd have to say that money is still right there in the bank then... :rolleyes:

Joe, it has been a while ---- you got divorced????? :rolleyes:

Holy :sshh: @#@$%@#$%^@#%!!!!!

Where is Ms. Happy now????

Hey my condolences man!!!!

I may be in the same dingy soon!!!!!

b**bs -------------> :(

PS

Regarding cost -- I am close to the poor house :(

But what else would I do with the money

Sit on the couch, have my wife bring me a beer like Archie Bunker, and watch how badly the Mets play b**bs

Plus, I wouldn't have met the nicest bunch of people I did over the years

So, the cash still flows out the wallet!!!! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ $ $ $ $ $ $ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ b**bs

Edited by fusioncorebusmgr

Let's not forget about divorce fees, alamony, and child support. :huh:

LOL (kinda)... can I add in the cost of the joint replacement to my big toe... :(

And the 3 years of cortizone shots preceding it....

And the Ibuprofin and Gatorade.....

Can't say how much it cost me financially ... physically, there are scars here and there and all the other stuff that comes with aging.

From a career perspective, drum corps has paid off for me. I still use all those things I learned back in the day -- the way I describe what I do (organization and leadership consultant) is that I help folks work and play better together ... just like back in the day B)

I'm asked a lot how it is that I find it so easy to run a teambuilding for 100 unruly managers. What runs through my mind each time is that if I was able to get a half-dozen or more DCA corps lined up for retreat, the stuff I do now is a piece of cake :P

jo