So cal Corps

With Pacific Crest, Impulse, Mytikal, VK, Gold, Yamato and the corps that are just starting up who many have probably not heard of such as....Incognito, and Synergy....With all those corps in the So Cal area do you think thats the reason so many corps Have trouble getting members?

In any other area of the country I would say yes. However, we are talking about Southern California...the most highly populated area of the country. I would THINK that there would be enough wealth to spread around! :rolleyes:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this certain feeling that a new star may be rising...

We're ready for our close-up, Mr. D'MacKinley.

With Pacific Crest, Impulse, Mytikal, VK, Gold, Yamato and the corps that are just starting up who many have probably not heard of such as....Incognito, and Synergy....With all those corps in the So Cal area do you think thats the reason so many corps Have trouble getting members? and were mostly all DIV 3(I am aware of the name change) the last couple of years with the expeption of Pacific Crest. Or do you guys think if some of these corps were in other areas of So Cal they might have better luck?

Newest addition to SoCal line up is the Kingsmen Star Corps out of Anaheim.

I have this certain feeling that a new star may be rising... B)

Amen!!!! B)

IMHO, there are 2 main reasons for “lack of members” in the smaller corps of So.Cal.

One being that we are in the shadow of the big boys up north and kids just don’t want to march a smaller corps...

Consider that when a hypothetical local corps gets enough kids (who are willing to march a smaller corps) to compete, the more experienced, talented (and wealthier?) kids are recruited by "World class" corps (I call this "the DCI cannibalism model"), necessitating a continual struggle for membership and survival.

If the hypothetical corps gets past THAT hurdle and becomes successful, it starts auditioning out of area kids ("DCI cannibalism model") and then the locals don't make the line.

WHY should any local kid commit to all the work of building up a corps, when he/she has no guarantee of reaping the benefits of that work? (DC values? the DCI cannibalism model promotes "immediate gratification", not a real-world work ethic)

SoCal needs a NEW model ("local corps") where local kids commit to SoCal corps, and the corps commit to the locals...

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

Edited by GuyW

Consider that when a hypothetical local corps gets enough kids (who are willing to march a smaller corps) to compete, the more experienced, talented (and wealthier?) kids are recruited by "World class" corps (I call this "the DCI cannibalism model"), necessitating a continual struggle for membership and survival.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

Insanity is whining about a situation rather than trying to improve it.

Build it and they will come.

Build it right and they will stay.

Hopefuly this name change from Div II/III will give people a different view. I know when I would try to recruit and would say Div III people would change from being intrested to not wanting any info anymore. MAYBE we'll see better results this winter during auditions.

Insanity is whining about a situation rather than trying to improve it.

Build it and they will come.

Build it right and they will stay.

Inanity is describing a discussion as "whining". <**>

And, whatever else it might be - "whining" is not proof of insanity.

I also find it hard to believe that the majority of the Open class corps are not "building it right"....

Edited by GuyW