2008 Final$ package ticket price preview

There really isn't a need for that. The thread has stayed more or less on topic. If we closed up shop every time someone accused MikeD of being one of Hopkins drones we'd never get anything done :P

Also, the "You're just a Cadet Borg, your opinion doesn't count." is the DCP version of the Nazi rule. The first person to call out the Borg comment automatically loses.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The folks being priced out of the DCI ticket market just need to wake up and smell the coffee.

DCI and the top DCI corps threw under the bus all non-music major kids, local kids, less-than-middleclass-economics kids, kids of less-than-college-age, kids of less-than-exemplary body-shape....they are unwanted, irrelevant and non-useful...

Anybody who can't / won't pay whatever price for tickets DCI thinks is the market price is just collateral damage, road kill, and easily replaceable...

Edited by GuyW

The folks being priced out of the DCI ticket market just need to wake up and smell the coffee.

DCI and DCI corps threw under the bus all non-music major kids, non-local kids, less-than-middleclass-economics kids, kids of less-than-college-age, kids of less-than-exemplary body-shape....they are unwanted, irrelevant and non-useful...

Anybody who can't / won't pay whatever price for tickets DCI thinks is the market price is just collateral damage, and easily replaceable...

Funny how the Kingsmen Alumni corps didn't have much of a problem performing in front of those evil music majors in Pasadena, though... eh?

DCI and DCI corps threw under the bus all non-music major kids, non-local kids, less-than-middleclass-economics kids, kids of less-than-college-age, kids of less-than-exemplary body-shape....they are unwanted, irrelevant and non-useful...

What? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

So according to you all drum corps kids are music majors, local (I'm going to assume you got this backwards and meant that there aren't local kids), middle class or higher, extremely in shape college kids.

Well, I aged out of The Cadets in 2005, and I majored in Computer Science. I came from a two child/single parent home. At best our family was on the lower end of the lower-middle class. I worked hard and came up with the money to march drum corps for 3 years. I was not the only one that had to work my way through drum corps.

There were also a couple people in the corps that hadn't done high school marching band yet, and plenty of others that were in high school. There are even more high schoolers in other corps.

I also marched with people who started out in less than great shape. They worked hard through the winter and got into much better shape. God forbid corps encourage people to be healthy.

As for there not being local kids anymore, they are perfectly welcome to try out just like everyone else. We had someone from Bergenfield in 2004, he was in no way discriminated against for being local. (Although he did march BD in 2005, we discriminated against him then :P )

So in conclusion, don't make stupid statements when you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Funny how the Kingsmen Alumni corps didn't have much of a problem performing in front of those evil music majors in Pasadena, though... eh?

Decrying the loss of non-music majors does not equate to labeling music majors as "evil music majors", and my personal opinions are mine, not KAC.

Edited by GuyW

Also, the "You're just a Cadet Borg, your opinion doesn't count." is the DCP version of the Nazi rule. The first person to call out the Borg comment automatically loses.

Never said his opinion doesn't count ... Just that it very closely adheres to the dogma of the Cadet Failthful. The leadership of the Cadets, specifically Hopkins, has supported an agenda that would turn Drum Corps into marching bands for years. I'm totally opposed to that agenda, and that's MY opinion, which also counts.

I've you've got an intelligent argument to make about any of these points, have at it ... If you just want to take pot shots from the cheap seats then, please, spare us all ...

What? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

... :blah:

So in conclusion, don't make stupid statements when you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Actually not ... He's pretty much on target. Your attack on him not so much.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Never said his opinion doesn't count ... Just that it very closely adheres to the dogma of the Cadet Failthful. The leadership of the Cadets, specifically Hopkins, has supported an agenda that would turn Drum Corps into marching bands for years. I'm totally opposed to that agenda, and that's MY opinion, which also counts.

But in general the borg/honk comment is a simple statement that people use to "discredit" a reasoned argument from the other side. It's simplistic and antagonistic.

No one is talking to each other in this thread anymore, and I doubt that it will ever happen.

I'll go back to my original point. If you have problems with the pricing/direction of DCI, then do something constructive about it instead of constantly arguing your point. The people who created the anti-Amp petition are a perfect example. Organize a letter writing campaign. Make people sign a promise not to attend shows because of the paradigm shift. Start a fund raiser to give to corps that support your agenda.

Until then, you're just some random guy shaking his fists at the heavens and I'll be the guy at Finals. I'm not going to slight you for having an opinion, but there's a point where we've already heard all of the arguments on both sides and we've got entrenched ideologies sniping at each other and it's just not worth it anymore.

Decrying the loss of non-music majors does not equate to labeling music majors as "evil music majors", and my personal opinions are mine, not KAC.

Ok. Touché.

But. your logic is a full of fallacies.

Your cause-and-effect statement is that more generic "kids" of all sorts would come to see DCI shows tickets were cheaper. I have yet to read ANYTHING saying that kids can't afford to come see drum corps shows.

Even the prices that are being debated here are only for the 5 ticket combo. There are cheaper seats AND most of the local tour shows (where more non-music major kids would be likely to go) have tickets under $10 for students.

There are a lot of things for kids to do today. If they're not "into" school music or marching band, my bet is that there may not be all that much interest in passing up The Shins to go see The Cavaliers.

...But. your logic is a full of fallacies.

Your cause-and-effect statement is that more generic "kids" of all sorts would come to see DCI shows tickets were cheaper.

NO.

LOL!

I must write really badly! My points can't be *my* fallacies when they're shoved into an argument different than mine...

My point was that the plight of ticket buyers who can't pay the asking price is just as irrelevant to DCI as the plight of the participants who have been marginalized out of top level DC ("unwanted, irrelevant and non-useful...")

Edited by GuyW