Marching Music TV

It is no more a niche market....scratch that....it is less of a niche market than the dance/cheer competitions just due to numbers. Average dance/cheer squad is thirty folks in a school. At my daughter's high school there are over 300 folks in the band and roughly 500 kids in middle school band (YMMV) but it almost every case the band personnel outnumber the dance/cheer personnel by at least 2/1.

Same thing at the university level. LSU's Golden Band from Tigerland marches 325 and I would guess that 25-30% are music majors. These kinds of numbers are duplicated many times over in colleges and universities throughout the country.

Bring on a premium channel. There are advertisers willing to spend the money because you don't just have to advertise music gear, uni's. You would be targeting a hot demographic, teens and those in their early 20's. Don't forget about all of the mom's dad's aunt's uncle's etc etc etc who would watch as well.

how many musicians do you think there are in America? And maybe you don't limit to marching music...maybe you include concert bands, symphonies, wind ensembles, jazz bands....The Musician Channel - hear it with your eyes....

i agree on every point!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day (actually around 1995) I had this idea for a local access show called "Performance Focus". It would built around the concept of "High School Sports Focus" which was a local show in the San Jose area.

My idea was year round programming that featured Bands/Orchestras (Fall/Winter), Guard (Winter/Spring), Drum Corps (Summer). Also included would be Baton Twirling, Dance, Showcases, local Musicals, anything that was youth oriented, competitive and in the performing arts. I figured if sports could do, so could those other competitive 'sports.'

The 1/2 hour program would featured competitive scores, highlight of the week, videos from viewers, interviews with the performers, and a selection from a winning unit or individual.

Still thinking about doing it....

MAV

Back in the day (actually around 1995) I had this idea for a local access show called "Performance Focus". It would built around the concept of "High School Sports Focus" which was a local show in the San Jose area.

My idea was year round programming that featured Bands/Orchestras (Fall/Winter), Guard (Winter/Spring), Drum Corps (Summer). Also included would be Baton Twirling, Dance, Showcases, local Musicals, anything that was youth oriented, competitive and in the performing arts. I figured if sports could do, so could those other competitive 'sports.'

The 1/2 hour program would featured competitive scores, highlight of the week, videos from viewers, interviews with the performers, and a selection from a winning unit or individual.

Still thinking about doing it....

MAV

Dude, ANYTHING that promotes education for the arts to the youth of today is something I would be behind 100% man! Do it! :angry: Go you!

So, not to toss cold water...

Imagine a "high school athletics" channel...

Great demo, great programming that's nearly limitless. Advertisers covet the market, and there's more kids playing sports than there are in MM.

And no licensing issues.

Why hasn't that gotten off the ground, in a sports-hungry country?

Thus, if you're going to take the second-best-attended high school/college activity and make that a channel... well... good luck in that. Because seriously... after, oh, 4 hours, die-hards will turn poker on. MM doesn't even have an official internet radio station.

Sorry to be a downer, but the reality is that MM will always be either an academic support to athletics, or a well-attended niche. I'd love nothing more than a 6-week half hour show on ESPN8 during the season. But until "The Ocho" is real, we should be too.

Well like I said , this wouldn't happen TODAY. Much less sometime maybe in the next 15 years. But picture this, consider the rate DCI has grown in fans/participation/activity/revenue etc. since 1997 (10 years ago) , that's WAY larger than the amount increased compared to 1987 to 1997, can we agree? Okay, so considering with the internet at our side these days I would say since all of these aspects are coming in at the "right time" , so to speak, we can say that DCI will grow a LOT in the next 10 to 15 years. Because of the huge interest in DCI (compared to 10 years ago, I stress) wouldn't you say that DCI has contributed to the growth of WGI/Marching Band/School Concert Band activities? Put all of that in the boiling pot of 10 years and you have a much larger growth in intrest in marching music due to kids involving themselves on side projects to advance themselves so they can be in a corps. The demographic is becoming less and less socially unpromoted from what's "hip" and what's "hot" , who knows what will happen in the future....I'm saying if an attempt is made on TV , even if it's just one simple TV show, when the day what's "hip" becomes MM , then a network would almost be begged for.

Like someone else said, who said it had to be MM tv? it could be Musicians Channel. Including things like Eddie Van Halen sitting down and showing how he does Eruption.

There's a lot of social interest that has to be sparked first, I know, I know! I didn't say this model was practical, all I said was that it would be awesome did I not?

There's a lot of social interest that has to be sparked first, I know, I know! I didn't say this model was practical, all I said was that it would be awesome did I not?

Yes, you did say awesome. I'd just caution you to not measure growth from a low point. There are some outstanding things that DCI is doing, and its reach as an education leader is excellent. Besides, TV won't be "TV" in 10 years anyhow. In 2017, TV will be like this -- the "TV" will actually be a pc, with access to a database of shows. Think "OnDemand" if you have that... but for all shows that aren't live broadcasts. The Cable Company will be the "reservoir" you subscribe to, and you simply search for the shows you want to watch. Sports will still be covered live, but the rest of the schedule is history. You'll be able to download any show faster than you can watch it, a la "OnDemand", but every show will be delivered that way.

That way, in 2017, you can indeed have your MMtv; you'll have to "assemble" it as a shared favorites list you can email/sms your friends, but instead of YouTube, the new "public access" will be that you can upload to the reservoir in a public area, or you can simply send a search-link like you can now. You'll only need one server per house, and that will even be something you won't need to have onsite.

Wow -- I think I has a pifanee...

Anyhow, I think your dream of having this stuff available is closer than you think. It's really a matter of getting the networks to put stuff into downloadable-thru-box format. Then the fun begins.

well anything that spreads mm to the youth of today is good in my book, i honestly don't care how we do it (though what you're explaining sounds really cool) :)

Yes, you did say awesome. I'd just caution you to not measure growth from a low point. There are some outstanding things that DCI is doing, and its reach as an education leader is excellent. Besides, TV won't be "TV" in 10 years anyhow. In 2017, TV will be like this -- the "TV" will actually be a pc, with access to a database of shows. Think "OnDemand" if you have that... but for all shows that aren't live broadcasts. The Cable Company will be the "reservoir" you subscribe to, and you simply search for the shows you want to watch. Sports will still be covered live, but the rest of the schedule is history. You'll be able to download any show faster than you can watch it, a la "OnDemand", but every show will be delivered that way.

That way, in 2017, you can indeed have your MMtv; you'll have to "assemble" it as a shared favorites list you can email/sms your friends, but instead of YouTube, the new "public access" will be that you can upload to the reservoir in a public area, or you can simply send a search-link like you can now. You'll only need one server per house, and that will even be something you won't need to have onsite.

Wow -- I think I has a pifanee...

Anyhow, I think your dream of having this stuff available is closer than you think. It's really a matter of getting the networks to put stuff into downloadable-thru-box format. Then the fun begins.

Spot on, the only thing you have left out of the equation is advertising support. You will need funds from advertising to support production and it is unclear how advertising plays into the on-demand model as most users are very intolerant of advertising when they have paid for content. Some are skirting the issue with product placement in the content but the impact of product placement is not the same as the traditional advertising methods. In this type of channel there are lots of products being utilized, but some are invisible to the viewer (remember my comments about the demographic and not only advertising musical products and uni's) such as underwear, deoderant, food the corps ate on the way to the stadium, shows worn in rehearsal, etc. The traditional advertising opportunities are broad but the current less-traditional methods are unproven in content such as this. There are undoubtedly new methods being cooked up to cover this but how long before they are used and proven?

Edited by Bleu Raeder

Of course, back in the day when audiophiles whipped their microphones out at veterans contests and corps weren't even consulted or compensated for their product, who knows if anything was all that above the board. ... :doh:

That was also when copyright issues were, well, less of an issue.

With the continuing trend of failing CD sales in the record industry, combined with the slow but sure removal of DRM and the dropping of prices for digital music downloads ($1.29 six months ago for DRM-free tracks from Apple, now $0.89 via Amazon) and the trend of major recording artists (Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails) offering their music directly to consumers, sometimes at a "name your own price" model, it's possible that the current model of selling recorded music will fade away in the foreseeable future.

What affect will that have on our activity?

That was also when copyright issues were, well, less of an issue.

With the continuing trend of failing CD sales in the record industry, combined with the slow but sure removal of DRM and the dropping of prices for digital music downloads ($1.29 six months ago for DRM-free tracks from Apple, now $0.89 via Amazon) and the trend of major recording artists (Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails) offering their music directly to consumers, sometimes at a "name your own price" model, it's possible that the current model of selling recorded music will fade away in the foreseeable future.

What affect will that have on our activity?

Dunno, but DCI got rid of DRM in 2004. CDs will be around for a very long time, IMO. It's the last physical format. Every format change since has been a disaster... mini-disc, sacd, dvd-a... all garbage.