Cost Difference for HD Broadcast and DVDs

to add to issue, what format for HD?

blue-ray or HD-dvd

duplication facilities are limited and costs for blank discs is hi, blanks disks are $20.00 vs .35 cents for dvd

as some one already posted hd production service VERY VERY expensive.

and hd camera costs $200,000.00 standard tv camera $50,000.00

all production equipment must ne hd capable..

There's also a fairly high failure rate in burning HD-DVDs and Blu Ray ... The media is a lot more finicky.

The production truck and camera rental thing will probably get cheaper soon ... Most of the major nets have HD rigs now and the opportunity of getting one in August getting better. Still probably well beyond DCI's ability to fund and recover costs, though.

Show of hands ... who has an HD-TV and High-Res Media player (either HD-DVD or Blu Ray)? I'm suspecting not a lot of us ... (I'm not even looking into moving up for another couple of years.)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show of hands ... who has an HD-TV and High-Res Media player (either HD-DVD or Blu Ray)? I'm suspecting not a lot of us ... (I'm not even looking into moving up for another couple of years.)

I''ve been asking Santa for one, but haven't had any luck. :) Besides, my HDTV is only 34", so it wouldn't make that drastic of a difference. (It would still look better, but not $300-$1000 better). I'm waiting till I can afford a 60" Pioneer plasma to pair with it. (Which, the way things are going, should be about a month or two after Hell freezes over...)

There's also a fairly high failure rate in burning HD-DVDs and Blu Ray ... The media is a lot more finicky.

The production truck and camera rental thing will probably get cheaper soon ... Most of the major nets have HD rigs now and the opportunity of getting one in August getting better. Still probably well beyond DCI's ability to fund and recover costs, though.

I have a couple of HDTVs... but only a 360 for renting HD movies.

Another good point. I could buy the HD-DVD player for my 360, since I think that will be the eventual format winner, but I have no need. It's easier to play an .mkv on my laptop via an HDMI connection on the HDTV (just like the DCI Broadcasts) and I have more options.

And when the legacy DVDs are remastered for HD Format (and you know they will be), will they finally include high cam?

And when the legacy DVDs are remastered for HD Format (and you know they will be), will they finally include high cam?

Hate to burst your bubble on that one, but since the original materials are standard def, doing HD Remasters would be a waste of time ... You can't improve standard-def quality, especially some of the stuff from years ago that were done analog standard-def.

Also, wouldn't count Blu-Ray out ... They've got some capabilities that blow HD-DVD out of the water, pure storage capacity on the multi-layered disks for one. There's also a firmly established Market for Blu-Ray in other parts of the World.

Hate to burst your bubble on that one, but since the original materials are standard def, doing HD Remasters would be a waste of time ... You can't improve standard-def quality, especially some of the stuff from years ago that were done analog standard-def.

Also, wouldn't count Blu-Ray out ... They've got some capabilities that blow HD-DVD out of the water, pure storage capacity on the multi-layered disks for one. There's also a firmly established Market for Blu-Ray in other parts of the World.

Is this going to turn into another G vs. Bb thread?

Our video guy at Carolina Crown says the opposite. He told me DCI could very easily do a show in HD. I asked him about the cost difference. He said there wasn't much. I know the camera he uses is HD, but shoots our DVDs for SD. It can be done. There just has to be the will there for them to do it.

Luke

BINGO. We've talked about this many times on here in the last year or two. It CAN be done. there just needs to be a will. Wouldn't HDV at least be of better quality than SD DVDs? I mean, it's not commercial HD quality, but it would be better than what we currently have. Baby steps? Or would this be a bad investment?

Edited by jjeffeory

Me...

Another good point. I could buy the HD-DVD player for my 360, since I think that will be the eventual format winner, but I have no need. It's easier to play an .mkv on my laptop via an HDMI connection on the HDTV (just like the DCI Broadcasts) and I have more options.

Why would the legacy DVDs be remastered for HD? They weren't recorded in HD. They will NEVER be HD. If there was film recording, then there is hope.