Most Exciting show you have ever seen?

1995 Madison Scouts. I felt like I was standing and cheering half the show. Grown men sitting in front of me were in tears. I struggled to hear the final phrases of the show from the deafening crowd noise. I still get goose bumps when thinking about the rotating company front to the end of their show. I just wish the recordings could do that show justice. The 95 CD's are just plain unlistenable.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Way too many shows to sort through, but, if you're going to pin me to one corps and one show that I personally witnessed, it would have to be the '74 Muchachos at DCI Finals. They were one of only two Eastern representatives to make finals, and a lot of the corps who didn't make it were in the back side stands. They were hyping all through Hawthorne's warmups, and when the kids turned around to face the field, they seemed to have "the look" of a corps with something to prove. In a way, I think they did. In 1973, they were the darlings of the East, only to get smacked down in Whitewater, and their prelims performance in 1974 left them on the apparent outside of the top 6.

Quirky Honorable Mention - 1976 Kilties at DCI Midwest Prelims in Whitewater. I know, this corps was on a treadmill to nowhere. But, on that day, they were solid in their opener and in Holy John. Then, "Fat Tom" Meredith tore it up in concert and got the fans out of their seats, and they stayed standing and cheering through "Don't You Worry "Bout a Thing" and Syne. Just as Hawthorne, it was a case of the corps feeding off the fans and giving the intensity right back at them. It was one of the coolest performances I ever saw, and most people don't know about it.

Why don't we go back to pre DCI!

Boston Crusaders 1967, I believe they went 31 and 2 that year. Great show, and introduce Anthony Smith on the double bass, which changed the sound of drum corps.

SKEK in 1963 with the great sound of Voice of the Guns off the line.

1964 Troopers who surprised everyone with the "sunburst" at the World Open. Invited back at night to put on an exhibition at the finals at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, Conn.

1970 Boston Crusaders at the tail end of the season when they put it all together at the VFW at Miami!!!

Racine Kilties in 1964 as they floated across Mun. Stad in Cleveland to land the VFW.

The great Royal Airs in 1965 who won the CYO, VFW, and AL What a horn line and did not use Contra Bass, but what a sound!!!

Chicago in 1961 to go undefeated. The foundation of drum corps to build on for future years.

Maybe someone else from the pre DCI years could name some more of the great corps.

CODI

Yes, All GREAT CORPS

What is the SINGLE most exciting show you have ever seen?

The corps?

The year?

Why?

Best show - 1971 CYO Nationals - 15 corps....everyone was there.

Best corps - 1971 27th Lancers at CYO - you could not hear Danny Boy as the corps left the field - that performance changed my life. A 7th place finish didn't deter them from winning World Open a few days later. Blue Rock, SCV, The Troopers, Anaheim, Boston, Madison, Argonne, Cavies....

Next best show - 1975 CYO Nationals. Everyone was there - Madison was kicking butt, and the Muchachos were throwing darts at everyone and their drumline was phenominal. Blue Devils, SCV, 27th had all won big shows on their own. A very energetic show.

1995 Madison Scouts, at Giants Stadium in NJ. Absolutely overwhelming power and energy that night.

My DCI runnerup for this category: 1982 Blue Devils at the Bayonne, NJ, show. Flawless.

Fran

1995 Madison Scouts, at Giants Stadium in NJ. Absolutely overwhelming power and energy that night.

You think they were good in Jersey, you should have seen them on Finals night in Buffalo

My ears are still ringing :)

My DCI runnerup for this category: 1982 Blue Devils at the Bayonne, NJ, show. Flawless.

Fran

Hey Fran! Great to "hear from you!" I wish that I could remember performing the '82 show in Bayonne! Coincidentally, I remember the party afterwards and even drank a beer with a Bayonne cop! I know, way off topic! Like someone said, there are just too many shows to consider for these categories and as a marching member, we have to rely on DVD's, (of which, I'm most grateful for), to see shows that would have been awesome to experience live! First impressions is what did it for me.

Indeed. Ironic that it was my age out year that had me seeing the most exciting show of my drum corps marching days.

I could so easily go with a "list" here as Joe mentioned several posts ago... and it would include the '82 line "Hugada" marched in back then as well. I was fortunate to see so many great shows back when drum corps was turning the corner from straight rudimental drumming and rotor horns to the complexity it evolved into in the early 80's. And then it REALLY took off from there!

But that was an exciting time in the late 70's/early 80's. And even though it was indeed exciting as heck, there was far more to the complexity of SCV's 1982 show than just seeing the Bottle Dance at DCI finals that year. That was the Cherry on the Pie! But the subtleties of the cymbals crashes and the amazing drum solo sounds of Ralph Hardimon... the complete package of comedy and tragedy... of prose poetry in music. 1982 SCV was my Dad's favorite, and it was hard to move him off Phantom Regiment at all. I joined Madison (much to mom's delight) and Dad was supportive. But when we toured with SCV and my folks and younger sis traveled along for a week or so, I knew it was SCV that had my Dad's attention. But it did NOT hurt my feelings in the slightest, because guess what? I loved SCV in 1982, also... even as a member of a competitor that wanted so badly to take them.

But I would definetly like to list more... it's just not what's being asked for by the starter of this thread.

Yes, '82 SCV was a remarkable show! The Jones' performed very well! I have to comment on your Halloween picture...SO cute! :)

'78 SCV in the lot at the bingo hall.

Reason: It was the first time I had ever seen a drum corps show. Very sophisticated musically and visually, especially for its era. I was completely floored. :laugh: