Most Exciting show you have ever seen?

Blue Devisl 1980, Clovis HS stadium. Now mind you, I "saw" this from on the field

Chris Nalls might remember this show - we almost fell apart in the gate turns at the end of the show. We BARELY made it to the end together. Not exactly the kind of "exciting" you're asking about, but I never had a "thrill" like that! :rock: The exact reasons for this phenomenon have long been a mystery....

Funny you should mention that. There must be something about the Clovis show...In 92 the corps tore in two during La Suerte...Not just a phasing issue, but a true break-in-half-the-corps-is-playing-two-tempos moment! Embarrassing.

As far as my picks for most exciting show:

88 BD

90 Madison

02 BD

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most exciting for me?

Vanguard '99 - DCI finals. Just pure adrenalin rush from begining to end - man what a show. That show just never let up, and the drill was beyond incredible.

Later,

Mike

Best corps I ever saw live-BD 1986.

Best show I ever saw live-Garfield 1985.

Best performance I ever saw- TIE: Phantom 82, DeKalb, and Madison 1988, DCI Finals.

Best show I ever did-TIE: Whitewater 83 Finals, DCI Semifinals 1985.

Best corps I ever saw live-BD 1986.

Best show I ever saw live-Garfield 1985.

Best performance I ever saw- TIE: Phantom 82, DeKalb, and Madison 1988, DCI Finals.

Best show I ever did-TIE: Whitewater 83 Finals, DCI Semifinals 1985.

Just out of curiosity - which Phantom 82 performance at DeKalb? Prelims, finals, or tiebreaker?

Best show I ever saw live - 27th Lancers, 1980 DCI East. What a night!

Best performance I've ever seen - Madison 1988 and 1995. BD 1976 and 1986

Just out of curiosity - which Phantom 82 performance at DeKalb? Prelims, finals, or tiebreaker?

Tiebreaker. I didn't see prelims, but Phantom and the Boys were smoking all night long. Still one of the greatest nights ever, and that PR tiebreaker was just plain unbelievable.

1982 SCV, seeing the bottle dance live was great.

Indeed. Ironic that it was my age out year that had me seeing the most exciting show of my drum corps marching days.

I could so easily go with a "list" here as Joe mentioned several posts ago... and it would include the '82 line "Hugada" marched in back then as well. I was fortunate to see so many great shows back when drum corps was turning the corner from straight rudimental drumming and rotor horns to the complexity it evolved into in the early 80's. And then it REALLY took off from there!

But that was an exciting time in the late 70's/early 80's. And even though it was indeed exciting as heck, there was far more to the complexity of SCV's 1982 show than just seeing the Bottle Dance at DCI finals that year. That was the Cherry on the Pie! But the subtleties of the cymbals crashes and the amazing drum solo sounds of Ralph Hardimon... the complete package of comedy and tragedy... of prose poetry in music. 1982 SCV was my Dad's favorite, and it was hard to move him off Phantom Regiment at all. I joined Madison (much to mom's delight) and Dad was supportive. But when we toured with SCV and my folks and younger sis traveled along for a week or so, I knew it was SCV that had my Dad's attention. But it did NOT hurt my feelings in the slightest, because guess what? I loved SCV in 1982, also... even as a member of a competitor that wanted so badly to take them.

But I would definetly like to list more... it's just not what's being asked for by the starter of this thread.

86 Blue Devils

HM: 95 Madison