1977 CT Hurricanes

Walt, honest to god I replied via DCP IM unless I messed it up!!! It was huge too, like I don't know 5 sentences or something.

no problem Ray

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Ray Luedee was still in charge of the drum line in 1977. It would, unfortunately, be his last with the corps. He was more of a "caption head" technician that year as one of his proteges, Tom Wubbenhorst, wrote the show in 1977.

Pat came to the corps in 1978.

If I remember correctly

Frank Dorrittie - Brass

Ray Luedee- Tom Wubbenhorst - Percussion

Mickey Kelly - Guard

Neil Smith -Drill

Actually Ray Luedee was still in charge of the drum line in 1977. It would, unfortunately, be his last with the corps. He was more of a "caption head" technician that year as one of his proteges, Tom Wubbenhorst, wrote the show in 1977.

If I remember correctly

Frank Dorrittie - Brass

Mickey Kelly - Guard

Neil Smith -Drill

that's strange about ray. i never saw him that year. i guess i assumed he wasn't there. the line didn't have the same execution as in years passed. the arrangements didn't have the same sound. the rudiments didn't sound as open as ray used to teach.

that's strange about ray. i never saw him that year. i guess i assumed he wasn't there. the line didn't have the same execution as in years passed. the arrangements didn't have the same sound. the rudiments didn't sound as open as ray used to teach.

Your right, it didn't have the power and cleanliness of past Ray Luedee lines.. Ray was around, but not as much as we would have liked though, he was, again, going thru some health issues. It was a mixed line that year, Roger Donna, John Moynihan,myself and Dan Mullins were the vets ...while other 3 snares were inexperienced.,as well as most of the line..Plus the line was going more tonal that year,compared to the rudimental ,stacked writing of past years. Professor Wubbenhorst ,as he is called now, still had the rudimental fundamentals in his writing along with some esoteric things.. hey..we played Jethro Tulls Velvet Green for the long drumsolo that year !! b**bs but his writing did compliment Frank's brass arrangements...But Ray was still there to motivate and keep that famous Hurricane Drumline swagger!! .

Yes ..it was a struggle that year..but we swallowed our inner pride for the "corps".. pushed forward for the Hurricanes...not our egos, as is unfortunately evidenced alot in todays drum corps...and want another amazing feat??? Close to 80% of that 1977 corps was standing in Franklin Field 4 years later being announced DCA Champions.. so, in the long run..it was worth the tears, sweat, arguments,style changes,staf fchanges, females admitted, etc...... for

those future moments :tic: and Ray... Loved the guy and what he wrote and how he taught, and his drive and enthusiasm.... he was one of a kind...

If I remember correctly

Frank Dorrittie - Brass

Mickey Kelly - Guard

Neil Smith -Drill

victor, thanks for setting the record straight. your recall is probably a little crisper than mine......i am , after all , a child of the 60's.

victor, thanks for setting the record straight. your recall is probably a little crisper than mine......i am , after all , a child of the 60's.

AND SHLITZ!!! :tic:

Your right, it didn't have the power and cleanliness of past Ray Luedee lines.. Ray was around, but not as much as we would have liked though, he was, again, going thru some health issues. It was a mixed line that year, Roger Donna, John Moynihan,myself and Dan Mullins were the vets ...while other 3 snares were inexperienced.,as well as most of the line..Plus the line was going more tonal that year,compared to the rudimental ,stacked writing of past years. Professor Wubbenhorst ,as he is called now, still had the rudimental fundamentals in his writing along with some esoteric things.. hey..we played Jethro Tulls Velvet Green for the long drumsolo that year !! b**bs but his writing did compliment Frank's brass arrangements...But Ray was still there to motivate and keep that famous Hurricane Drumline swagger!! .

Yes ..it was a struggle that year..but we swallowed our inner pride for the "corps".. pushed forward for the Hurricanes...not our egos, as is unfortunately evidenced alot in todays drum corps...and want another amazing feat??? Close to 80% of that 1977 corps was standing in Franklin Field 4 years later being announced DCA Champions.. so, in the long run..it was worth the tears, sweat, arguments,style changes,staf fchanges, females admitted, etc...... for

those future moments :tic: and Ray... Loved the guy and what he wrote and how he taught, and his drive and enthusiasm.... he was one of a kind...

good assessment of heart of the hurricane corps from 77-81. we took a hard fall following the 76 season but it's those 5 years that give me the most pride & satisfaction of my hurc career , although i didn't realize it until it was over ! i was with the champion hurcs in 67 & 69 , but the win in 81 was by far the most gratifying due to the focus, determination, and hard work by that 80% that perservered through those 5 years ! hurricane pride at its best !!!!!

Your right, it didn't have the power and cleanliness of past Ray Luedee lines.. Ray was around, but not as much as we would have liked though, he was, again, going thru some health issues. It was a mixed line that year, Roger Donna, John Moynihan,myself and Dan Mullins were the vets ...while other 3 snares were inexperienced.,as well as most of the line. Plus the line was going more tonal that year,compared to the rudimental ,stacked writing of past years. Professor Wubbenhorst ,as he is called now, still had the rudimental fundamentals in his writing along with some esoteric things.. hey..we played Jethro Tulls Velvet Green for the long drumsolo that year !!

I heard some nice clean rolls and singles in Oklahoma Crude, including what sound like a split snare part echo with 9 stroke rolls and I cant remember what ya'll did during what sounds like a backsticking or crossticking section of 16th note triplets at the very end of that song. There were some nice extended singles (127 BPM) at the end of the 1st drum solo that sounded like no problem too. In fact the entire show starts off with a pretty clean roll at about 152 BPM... so who had the nifty solo drum roll in Stormy Weather?

AND HOW IN THE HELL DID THE HORNLINE MAKE THAT WEIRD SOUNDING CHORD THEY HELD OUT AT THE END OF THE CONCERT DURING THE FINAL SOLO???

Edited by BeinGreen

I heard some nice clean rolls and singles in Oklahoma Crude, including what sound like a split snare part echo with 9 stroke rolls and I cant remember what ya'll did during what sounds like a backsticking or crossticking section of 16th note triplets at the very end of that song. There were some nice extended singles (127 BPM) at the end of the 1st drum solo that sounded like no problem too. In fact the entire show starts off with a pretty clean roll at about 152 BPM... so who had the nifty solo drum roll in Stormy Weather?

AND HOW IN THE HELL DID THE HORNLINE MAKE THAT WEIRD SOUNDING CHORD THEY HELD OUT AT THE END OF THE CONCERT DURING THE FINAL SOLO???

By DCA we were pretty good. I loved playing Oklahoma Crude parts !! That was a back sticking triplets part, A Star is Born drum solo, also had some cool cymbal ride parts

roll - not to brag - WAS ME!!! B) Danny, John and I had drum offs every weekend to play that roll ,,, I won !! :) Moynihan still busts my chops every time I see him about that.... if Danny was still alive I am sure he would too!

Wierd sound at end of Stormy Weather... Frank Dorritte playing some note so high only dogs in Alberta Canada could hear !!LOL he played facing back field .... facing the snare line - - we were like HOLY @#^T !!

By DCA we were pretty good. I loved playing Oklahoma Crude parts !! That was a back sticking triplets part, A Star is Born drum solo, also had some cool cymbal ride parts. roll - not to brag - WAS ME!!! B) Danny, John and I had drum offs every weekend to play that roll ,,, I won !! :) Moynihan still busts my chops every time I see him about that.... if Danny was still alive I am sure he would too! Wierd sound at end of Stormy Weather... Frank Dorritte playing some note so high only dogs in Alberta Canada could hear !!LOL he played facing back field .... facing the snare line - - we were like HOLY @#^T !!

soo THATS how it wuz dun, I honestly figured as much, the resulting effect was like overtones from some unknown wind instrument, brilliant.

thanks for the input. That '72-'82 CT decade is an interesting story.

Edited by BeinGreen