2008 Shows

Taping all falls on the persons/sanctions that are selling it.

Yea, I remember hearing DCI got stung by selling videos, I presume, without the Video Rights.

Or was the real problem the corps hadn't obtained the permission to play?

So to be in a DCA show, does DCA make us get the video rights so they can sell the video or are they responsible for that? That doesn't seem right but i wouldn't be suprised.

I'm pretty comfortable about getting the permission to play and being safe from any infringment.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like good stuff for sure. A number of years ago we were prepared to do Beatles stuff the music rights were crazy. Perhaps it has changed.

The music rights are still crazy. They were more than happy to let us play the stuff for a little less than $3,000 dollars. :beer::beer::doh::doh: :sshh: :rock::rock:

This is a Wine price and we are on a BEER budget at the moment. :sshh: :doh::beer:

Stay tuned to our less expensive show announcement. :beer::music::music:

Jeff.

Prairie Sound Drum & Bugle Corps Inc. will be playing selections from the Beatles.

Selections? Magical Mystery, Sgt. Pepper, Nowhere Man, Elenor Rigby, Twist & Shout, When I'm 64 and Hey Jude. :beer:

Should be a fun show to play and we hope people will enjoy the show.

Kansan.

I seem to remember Kawanis Cavaliers tried to do a Beatles show a few years ago and had to change when they weren't granted the rights to play it. Are rights now available? Sounds like a funs show!

Edited by JKatzmellophone

Our Music Coordinator is working on charts, but not 100% ready to announce yet. We will be doing a mini-corps show this year, and possibly *fingers crossed* attending DCA I&E. Otherwise we will be at any DCA show in TX we can get into!

The music rights are still crazy. They were more than happy to let us play the stuff for a little less than $3,000 dollars. :beer::beer::doh::doh: :sshh: :rock::rock:

This is a Wine price and we are on a BEER budget at the moment. :sshh: :doh::beer:

Stay tuned to our less expensive show announcement. :beer::music::music:

Jeff.

If you think the Beatles rights are expensive, you haven't seen Disney's. A few years ago we were thinking about playing "Pirates of the Caribbean", until we found out the rights cost $10,000!!! :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

The 2008 show for Les Diplomates will be also The Beatles "Love" version from Le Cirque du Soleil show.

I seem to remember Kawanis Cavaliers tried to do a Beatles show a few years ago and had to change when they weren't granted the rights to play it. Are rights now available? Sounds like a funs show!

Easy to get if you have da Bank.

They're available. I got the message this week that it's $275 a pop for any song used. Doesn't matter whether it's a four bar reference or most of the song, the fee is the same. So, our intended concert chart, which uses Twist & Shout as a base and references Don't Let Me Down briefly in the middle, involves two songs, so it would be $550. Had we planned only four tunes, we could have gotten off for a mere $1100. Using more tunes, well, it hurts.... :sos:

I suspect the fees charged vary by requesting party, too. One of the questions asked on the form is what fee the arranger is charging. I'm charging absolutely nothing; I suspect that were I charging for services, the fee would have been higher. :beer:

So, anybody need some Beatles tunes arranged for two-valve G bugles? I won't charge much to allow you to send all your money to Hal Leonard. :beer:

TAFL