And we lose yet another...

What happens, though, to the smaller corps who can't afford these newer larger buses? Does this just become another thing that makes it more difficult for them to move up in the standings?

Sounds like we need some kind of "No Corps Left Behind" program B)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been too involved in this discussion but I just wanted to say again that I'm really sorry to see this loss. Southwind's 2000 ballad, Legends of the Fall, is my all-time favorite ballad. There was just something magical about it.

Edited by marimbaman89

I haven't been too involved in this discussion but I just wanted to say again that I'm really sorry to see this loss. Southwind's 2000 ballad, Legends of the Fall, is my all-time favorite ballad. There was just something magical about it.

Indeed there is. I cry whenever I listen to it.

It's funny that the people who do know how expensive it is to field a corps keep making it more and more expensive to do so.

Cynicism on..........................Continued competitive advantage, since they can obviously afford it better than many of the lower ranked corps

Cynicism off

In one way this is a compliment to the organizations they have built, but it does make it MUCH harder for most corps.

As to the bus issue, the larger busses are more expensive, and with staff and volunteers, many corps are forced to consider four instead of three, which raises the stakes exponentially.

I enjoyed Southwind's show in '07.... I hope they can come back strong in '09.

Fran

No economics degree, but...............................................

From what I understand, this innovative move was sponsored by that drum corps 'visionary', George Hopkins. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I agree that this move will hurt more than help the activity in general, and hope that cooler heads will prevail in subsequent years.

The additional member dues would add up to$35,000+/- to a corps budget, but wouldn't add to show fees, parade revenue, etc. - so, IMO would do little to add to the financial security of most corps. Some corps would have to alter/add their bus strategy, and if you know anything about the finances of a corps, this is a major expense.

Also, it smacks of 'pulling up the ladders' when you consider "open class" corps thinking about competing in 'world class' (not to mention my other objections about world class status).

I welcome any corrections to my thoughts.

I dunno..as a person in the bus industry and a corps insider I can offer:

An MCI-9 or 102A3 seats 47 passengers. Most corps travel with 4 buses, giving them a total of 188 seats. Still room for 38 people outside the 150. All well and good BUTTTT..

Today, though, more and more corps are going to chartering newer buses. In todays market, the 55-57 passenger buses are all that are available for a tour as extensive as a typical corps tour. Since about 1998, no manufaturer has offered a 40 foot (47-49 passenger) bus.

The older smaller busses of the past are just that...old. The last MC-9 rolled off the assembly line in 1984. 102a3s finished their production run in 1992. Basically, the equipment that many corps owned is no longer manufactured, and thus it is getting harder and harder to get parts. (for example, Detroit Diesel no longer supports the engines typically found in these buses) To boot, as buses age they become more and more expensive to keep road worthy. For a finacially challanged drum corps, this can be a real problem. This can lead to old broken down, and unsafe busses and unhappy members.

That is why the Cadets, Blue stars, Crown, Bluecoats, Devs, Phantom, etc are travelling on charterted busses.

The move to newer and chartered buses is inevitable. In the end, it is better for the corps, as they are travelling on newer and safer equipment. If their is a mechnanical problem, it is the bus companies problem, not the corps.

IMHO, this is better.

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
Wow outta nowhere.

Maybe new uniforms weren't such a good idea.

I loved the new uniforms. They looked like bees!

Okay that was really irrelevant, but I've been dying to blurt that out for a long time.

I dunno..as a person in the bus industry and a corps insider I can offer:

An MCI-9 or 102A3 seats 47 passengers. Most corps travel with 4 buses, giving them a total of 188 seats. Still room for 38 people outside the 150. All well and good BUTTTT..

Today, though, more and more corps are going to chartering newer buses. In todays market, the 55-57 passenger buses are all that are available for a tour as extensive as a typical corps tour. Since about 1998, no manufaturer has offered a 40 foot (47-49 passenger) bus.

The older smaller busses of the past are just that...old. The last MC-9 rolled off the assembly line in 1984. 102a3s finished their production run in 1992. Basically, the equipment that many corps owned is no longer manufactured, and thus it is getting harder and harder to get parts. (for example, Detroit Diesel no longer supports the engines typically found in these buses) To boot, as buses age they become more and more expensive to keep road worthy. For a finacially challanged drum corps, this can be a real problem. This can lead to old broken down, and unsafe busses and unhappy members.

That is why the Cadets, Blue stars, Crown, Bluecoats, Devs, Phantom, etc are travelling on charterted busses.

The move to newer and chartered buses is inevitable. In the end, it is better for the corps, as they are travelling on newer and safer equipment. If their is a mechnanical problem, it is the bus companies problem, not the corps.

IMHO, this is better.

I don't disagree with a thing you said, but I don't know how it relates to my comment about 3 or 4 busses.

If you have 150 members, 15-20 staff, 10-15 volunteers, you are on the balancing point of the number of busses you need - even using the new 56 passenger busses (3=168 seats). I know that most corps also travel with a van/SUV or two, but having a small group of people moving through the night with a staff member who has taught all day or a volunteer who has sweated in the kitchen all day driving isn't optimal. Some corps use van driver volunteers, but still not a well-rested professional driver. As someone who is a Spirit fan, Jim Ott will always be in my mind.

In my opinion, having fifteen extra people on the field has less to do with General Effect than a well written book, or drill. Just another drum corps 'vision' that will, in the long run, hurt most corps, AND contribute to the support for 'the regional corps' model that doesn't have a place in World Class.

In my opinion, having fifteen extra people on the field has less to do with General Effect than a well written book, or drill. Just another drum corps 'vision' that will, in the long run, hurt most corps, AND contribute to the support for 'the regional corps' model that doesn't have a place in World Class.

Forgive me if I misread this, but are you saying that "regional-touring" corps have no place in world-class competition?