Solutions

I am worried about the financial state of Drum Corps, and you are to. Let's brainstorm some possible solutions to problems corps face.

Food trucks -

Consolidating - What if two corps had the exact same touring schedule, and used the same food truck. It would certainly cost less for the two corps, but some obvious problems would have to be worked out.

Help from DCI - What if DCI provided corps with dinner at shows? Or if DCI encouraged more show sponsors to provide food for the corps at the shows. This may help in the long run.

I'm not sure, but lets brainstorm and help get some of these fallen corps back on the road.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food trucks -

Consolidating - What if two corps had the exact same touring schedule, and used the same food truck. It would certainly cost less for the two corps, but some obvious problems would have to be worked out.

Not feasible. Two corps would have to share every single housing site which would become a logistical nightmare.

Not feasible. Two corps would have to share every single housing site which would become a logistical nightmare.

What if they used a van to transport food to the other housing site? THe housing sites couldn't be that far away from each other.

And whats worse, figuring out a logistical nightmare or financial difficulties?

Help from DCI - What if DCI provided corps with dinner at shows? Or if DCI encouraged more show sponsors to provide food for the corps at the shows. This may help in the long run.

Umm... DCI doesn't do catering. Neither do promoters, generally (with some noted fine exceptions, Elks of Buffalo!)... It's $$$. The corps are responsible for food, so if you wanted to get more money into the corps pockets, you'd have to raise show fees to promoters, who would in turn raise ticket prices out of necessity.

And OMG another $40 for the 5-pack preorder is pricing people out like it's the freakin' Great Depression according to some 'descriptive' posts...

What if they used a van to transport food to the other housing site? THe housing sites couldn't be that far away from each other.

And whats worse, figuring out a logistical nightmare or financial difficulties?

Logistical nightmares beget financial difficulties.

I am worried about the financial state of Drum Corps, and you are to. Let's brainstorm some possible solutions to problems corps face.

Food trucks -

I'm not sure, but lets brainstorm and help get some of these fallen corps back on the road.

Back in my long gone college days I worked for the food service; my brother-in-law does today. You might be surprised how inexpensively you can feed large groups of people...and feed them well. Of course, the mobile nature of drum corps adds non-food expenses, but IMO food is not the huge cost some seem to make it out to be.

Grantwriters, community work (ie... small ensemble that performs in school assemblies for a fee... these sports team ensembles that keep cropping up), and actually doing something with your donor base! It's amazing to me how little communication I get from some of the corps I donate to... because every donor wants to know what their money is doing, even if you "know" in the back of your mind.

It's all admin stuff at this point... you can't really strip down how a corps tours any further, IMO.

Back in my long gone college days I worked for the food service; my brother-in-law does today. You might be surprised how inexpensively you can feed large groups of people...and feed them well. Of course, the mobile nature of drum corps adds non-food expenses, but IMO food is not the huge cost some seem to make it out to be.

Maybe so, but corps are usually pretty good at food. Besides, who's going to be the first corps to say, "sure, I'll trust that DCI will feed my kids." Too much capital wrapped up in those trucks to make them sit and trust that DCI Food Division will show up each time, 4 times a day.

Maybe so, but corps are usually pretty good at food. Besides, who's going to be the first corps to say, "sure, I'll trust that DCI will feed my kids." Too much capital wrapped up in those trucks to make them sit and trust that DCI Food Division will show up each time, 4 times a day.

Yes, I am agreeing with you...not the OP. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't see the food service as being a huge cost issue to the individual corps.

Are you talking about the fees to play or DCI itself being in trouble?