Solutions

Suffice it to say, in their most recent move (renaming II/III "open-class"), even DCI.org stated that the change, unanimously supported by the II/III directors, was subject to approval of the division I DCI board before it would become official.

The same applies to rule changes. When II/III changed their timing requirements to deviate from those of division I, allowing shorter shows than the 10-minute minimum that still applies in division I, the rule change proposal required approval of the division I BOD (after the II/III directors passed it something like 23-2).

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suffice it to say, in their most recent move (renaming II/III "open-class"), even DCI.org stated that the change, unanimously supported by the II/III directors, was subject to approval of the division I DCI board before it would become official.

The same applies to rule changes. When II/III changed their timing requirements to deviate from those of division I, allowing shorter shows than the 10-minute minimum that still applies in division I, the rule change proposal required approval of the division I BOD (after the II/III directors passed it something like 23-2).

But does the Div 1 BOD ever exercise that power? If so I haven't heard about it

Take a look at two of the more costly rule changes over the last several years: amplification and the 150 member rule.

Where did these come from? Southwind? Pacific Crest? Cascades? Blue Stars? Glassmen? Spirit? etc................ I don't think so!

If drum corps gets too expensive for most corps because of all these "new and improved" ideas then Hoppy et al will be the ones closing the door and turning out the lights. But they will be doing it with championship rings on their fingers, by gosh!

I'm hopeful that the next rules conference will concentrate on things that define what it means to be World and Open class, and come out with some hard (and public) criteria on what the responsibilities are for both classes.

I'm afraid you will have to keep hoping, since they do not do that. :huh:

I'm afraid you will have to keep hoping, since they do not do that. :huh:

I think it's more of a question of would they, not could they, since they certainly COULD. And in fact, by allowing some of the exceptions they have for 'regional' corps they HAVE in the past.