Church sponsored corps folk needed for a DCI.org article

I've been asked to write an article on church sponsored corps for All Saints Day. I need to hear from members what made these units special or different, how the sponsorship worked, what the vibe was like, where the members came from, whatever.

This is for an article on All Saints Day in a couple weeks. If you have anything you would like to contribute (and get credit for), please e-mail it to me at boomike@dci.org.

Thank you.

I've been asked to write an article on church sponsored corps for All Saints Day. I need to hear from members what made these units special or different, how the sponsorship worked, what the vibe was like, where the members came from, whatever.

This is for an article on All Saints Day in a couple weeks. If you have anything you would like to contribute (and get credit for), please e-mail it to me at boomike@dci.org.

Thank you.

Hi Mike,

Read my post in "VFW increases prize money" thread. I have direct experience in the demise of church sponsored drum corps.

Hi Mike,

Read my post in "VFW increases prize money" thread. I have direct experience in the demise of church sponsored drum corps.

I've read and responded in the thread. Is there anything new you might care to share? I won't directly lift stuff from DCP, though I have frequently asked people to expound further on something they've posted.

Without getting into too much of a dangerous mix of Religion (Catholic) and Politics (Drum Corps), keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the church-sponsored corps were sponsored by a Catholic parish. In the mid 60's to mid 70's, the Catholic church was undergoing a tremendous change resulting from Vatican II (well, not really change at all, but I don't want to get into a theological debate. I'll let the other half of the 83 Illiana Lancer contra line, who is now a Dominican Priest, argue the theology of Vatican II). Anyway, the parish-sponsored corps, for the most part, just got lost in the process.

Without getting into too much of a dangerous mix of Religion (Catholic) and Politics (Drum Corps), keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the church-sponsored corps were sponsored by a Catholic parish. In the mid 60's to mid 70's, the Catholic church was undergoing a tremendous change resulting from Vatican II (well, not really change at all, but I don't want to get into a theological debate. I'll let the other half of the 83 Illiana Lancer contra line, who is now a Dominican Priest, argue the theology of Vatican II). Anyway, the parish-sponsored corps, for the most part, just got lost in the process.

Interesting as I thought most of the loss of church sponsored corps was due to the decline of the cities that went on started in late 50s. Then again I have no idea where your corps was from and my Lutherean church is about ready to shut it's doors because the neighborhood is getting run down.

Thank you.

Hey Mike, I sent a reply this morning about The Catholic Daughters of America, ALL Girl Drum and Bugle Corps from Butler, PA. There were the first to capture the Class A and All Girl Title at the US Open 1968. They were organized in 1936 and disbanded in Fall of 1978. The Corps was run by the CDofA Court in the Butler Catholic Deanery. If you are interested let me know. Bruno Zuccala

bzuccala@aol.com

Hey Mike, I sent a reply this morning about The Catholic Daughters of America, ALL Girl Drum and Bugle Corps from Butler, PA. There were the first to capture the Class A and All Girl Title at the US Open 1968. They were organized in 1936 and disbanded in Fall of 1978. The Corps was run by the CDofA Court in the Butler Catholic Deanery. If you are interested let me know. Bruno Zuccala

bzuccala@aol.com

Bruno, you just couldn't tell him to "figure it out?" :P

Wow, Mike

As a member of both St. Joseph Patron Cadets and St. Rita's Brassmen I can tell you first hand that we were asked to leave St. Joe's because the parish didn't appreciate so many of the members were coming in from other neighborhoods. We were welcomed by Father Schiraldi and St. Rita's with open arms.

St. Rita's demise came from our Director, the Late and Great Carmen Cluna's refusal to cow-tow to the burgeoning DCI. fromI'm talking about the late sixties here.

Many eastern corps, were sponsored by Catholic Churches then. Off the top of my head there were: St. Rocco's, St. Catherine's Queensmen, Our Lady of Loretta, Our Lady Of Perpetual Health Ridgemen, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, The OLC Ramblers, St. Lucy's Cadets, St. Joseph's of Batavia and even the much heralded Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights.

As an aside, I have to say that with all the things were finding out about some priests in the Catholic Church these days, I have the best memories of the mentoring bestowed upon us by Father Dominic Schiraldi. His is a true testament to those who held their faith and had enough love to share with the young men and women of a very multi colored quilt who comprised the membership of St. Rita's Brassmen.

Lastly, one of the great competitions held every year was the C.Y.O. Nationals. And couldn't say for sure but did all those corps and many more that I couldn't name come first or did the show?

Back in the 50's and the 60's every parish either had a drum and bugle corps, band, or drill team.

The parishioners welcomed the activity will open arms. On certain Sunday's there would be a special collection for the corps towards uniforms, instruments,

etc.

The kids in the corps would pay dues ($l.00 per week), and they would also be selling chances on a "case of cheer"!!!!!

Quite a few parish's would have a bingo once a month. Just imagine gambling in the Catholic Church!!!!

Some parishes would sponsor more than just one activity. A good example of that would be St. Kevin's of Dorchester. Father Kierce was in charge of the

"Knights", "Gems" and the "Chips". Gems and Chips were feeder corps for the Knights. Every kids dream was to march with the Knights.

The 2nd weekend in September was the CYO Finals at White Stadium.

It was a a two day affair with the Class 3 and Class 2 drum and bugle corps, bands, and drill teams competing on Saturday.

Sunday it would be the "big boys"!!! No holds barred!!!

Just imagine sitting on a beautiful fall afternoon in Boston and watching the following Class A Corps.

SKEK

St. Mary's Beverly

St. Mary's Charlestown

I. C. Revereies, Revere

I. C. Winchester.

St. Catherine "Debs"

St. Rose Chelsea

Holy Family Defenders

I. C. All Girl, Salem, Mass.

Class A Bands

St. Williams Band, Dorchester, Mass. Only band ever to march at the National Dream Contest

St. Agnes Arlington, Mass.

St. Peters, South Boston,Mass.

St. Thomas, Jamica Plain, Mass.

Hope this will assist you in your discussion.

"Just thinking of the good old days"

CODI

I went to wikipedia and typed the following (parentheses, spaces) exactly as below or copy and paste.

De La Salle College (Toronto)

I pressed search and selected the first link with the string above.

A good historical synopsis but I cannot challenge the accuracy because I was not involved in this organization's long history. Thanks and take care.

Editted. I worked as a day camp counsellor for CYO in the mid 1970's for inner city kids. There was Michael Power Knights. There were drum corps rehearsals and indoor colour guard shows at St. Michael's school, Toronto area. I belonged to the Salvation Army for a few years, good band music every Sunday and parades there but no drum corps. Memory is hazy.

Edited by lindap