The 1963 Kilties had their first-ever crop of age-outs, 13 of them (20% of the membership) who built the corps into what it became but never got to win a Nationals.

There was only a handful of us even over 18 in 1964.

Please understand what I said was in jest. They just seemed so big, and they were. Good too. One of my all time favorite corps. And then there was Scotty, one of the all time best DM's.

I also knew a Lucille Vecchione (SP?) from the guard.

OK, fess up.... did you know Lucille, or "know" Lucille? :cool:

OK, fess up.... did you know Lucille, or "know" Lucille? :cool:

The interlude was quite harmless.

Funny story though. There was a rough edge between Selden and St. Lucy's back then. We went head to head many times. While conversing with this young lady from St. Lucy's, I'd often find myself in uniform and right smack dab in the middle of a gang of St. Lucy's guys. Not a safe place to be. I guess they figured if I was that crazy, I was OK to be on their turf. I did get some real hard looks from them though.

:cool:

CarolleeT, were you with St. Lucy's in 1964? I also knew a Lucille Vecchione (SP?) from the guard.

No, I was a Bon Bon. I knew most of the Lucy guys though. I checked with my husband, who was in Lucy's and he said the one you are thinking about is Andrew Campione. He is the one in the picture you referred to.

No, I was a Bon Bon. I knew most of the Lucy guys though. I checked with my husband, who was in Lucy's and he said the one you are thinking about is Andrew Campione. He is the one in the picture you referred to.
So I was right about the name, but wrong about who went to Boston. :cool:

The interlude was quite harmless.

Funny story though. There was a rough edge between Selden and St. Lucy's back then. We went head to head many times. While conversing with this young lady from St. Lucy's, I'd often find myself in uniform and right smack dab in the middle of a gang of St. Lucy's guys. Not a safe place to be. I guess they figured if I was that crazy, I was OK to be on their turf. I did get some real hard looks from them though.

:cool:

Hey Glenn, here's a great trivia question for you. Who is the ONLY Drum Major that Jimmy Russo, in all of his years of competition (both Junior & Senior), did he NEVER beat for the "Best Drum Major" Award?

On another note, I think Lucille has a brother who plays lead sop (on the drill sheets he is S4) with Bridgemen Alumni.

(OT)

Saturday 06/05/2010

Starting at 8:00pm EDT (because it runs over 2 1/2 hours) Diceman Radio presents:

The 1971 US Open

Milford Shoreliners

Geneva Appleknockers

Beverly Cardinals

Nisei Ambassadors

St. Andrews Bridgeman

St. Joseph's of Batavia

St. Rita's Brasssmen

Des Plaines Vanguard

Chicago Cavaliers

De La Salle Oaklands

Madison Scouts

Blue Rock

All original US Open recordings - except Des Plaines Vanguard (not on the albums), so we'll play their North

American Open performance...

Enjoy!

(/OT)

Thanks CarolleeT. Andrew? I guess it's been too many years for me. I along with a few Selden characters went to St. Lucy's indoor rehearsal when Bob Bunce taught the horn line. I guess it was in a church hall around winter of 1964/65. Bunce was our horn instructor also. He was teaching them "My Heart Belongs To Daddy".

Long ago, far away.

Edited by gsksun4

Hey Glenn, here's a great trivia question for you. Who is the ONLY Drum Major that Jimmy Russo, in all of his years of competition (both Junior & Senior), did he NEVER beat for the "Best Drum Major" Award?

Mike, I think it was mentioned here on this thread, but I can't recall who the major is. I'll venture a wild guess though. Was it Wink? Russo is a little young to have gone head to head with Hooton.

BLUE ROCK!!!!!!

(OT)

Saturday 06/05/2010

Starting at 8:00pm EDT (because it runs over 2 1/2 hours) Diceman Radio presents:

The 1971 US Open

Milford Shoreliners

Geneva Appleknockers

Beverly Cardinals

Nisei Ambassadors

St. Andrews Bridgeman

St. Joseph's of Batavia

St. Rita's Brasssmen

Des Plaines Vanguard

Chicago Cavaliers

De La Salle Oaklands

Madison Scouts

Blue Rock

All original US Open recordings - except Des Plaines Vanguard (not on the albums), so we'll play their North

American Open performance...

Enjoy!

(/OT)