Is this the same street that serves as one of the entrances to Johns Hopkins?

No. Johns Hopkins is a few blocks north of that street.

Broadway....Wolfe Street....Monument Street.... McElderry Street..... those are four of the main access streets in and around the Hopkins complex.

Broadway is where you get the good view of the famed Johns Hopkins dome.

No. Johns Hopkins is a few blocks north of that street.

Does Baltimore still have the white marble steps made in Cockeysville? Near the red light district?

Notes of interest:

Chubby (Norman Chaney) from "Our Gang" was born in Baltimore.

Chaney is buried in an unmarked grave in Section 'E' of Baltimore Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland. As recent as 2009, fans arose interest in collecting funds for a gravestone.

Edited by gsksun4

isn't the 'redlight' district on Baltimore St? ahhhhh, uhhhhhhhh.....just from what I heard

has anyone mentioned that the gentleman in question is a member of the WDCHOF?

He is also the author of several drumming books, a few of which are now being re-published in beautiful new editions. At least one includes a DVD of him playing several of the pieces in the book. All the more remarkable, since he recently celebrated his 80th birthday in January and has recovered nicely from serious illness.

He is also the author of several drumming books, a few of which are now being re-published in beautiful new editions. At least one includes a DVD of him playing several of the pieces in the book. All the more remarkable, since he recently celebrated his 80th birthday in January and has recovered nicely from serious illness.

It might also be said that this gentleman could have been nicknamed RUDI, even though he never attended the University of Notre Dame.

A few stories on the first gentleman …

Very early in my “career”, I was party to an after-contest conversation between this gentlemen and John Flowers. Mr. X was talking about hearing Boston Crusaders’ street time before their show, and hearing the bass drums tuned in a minor third. (I didn’t know a minor third from a coal miner back then, but no matter.) The punch line was he immediately figured out why when they launched into Conquest. Hum it to yourself, and you can hear the tympani part the bass drums were playing.

I’m also thinking a Sunday afternoon show in Emmaus, PA, 1967 or 68. We had a killer snare line that year: J.C. Flowers, Eric Landis, Denny Marta, Wayne Thaxton, Sid Something, and Dale Eck. The latter two from Emmaus. Just before we kicked off, Mr. X is walking around in front of the drum line and he grabs a handful of ice from our water bucket. He shoves too much in his mouth and begins to choke just as we are called to attention and are a few seconds away from kicking off. He realizes he’s about to get run over, spits the ice out over his shirt and score sheet, then tries to brush off the same. The drum line is laughing our butts off as the show starts.

Anyway, for whatever reason, that was absolutely the best drum show I ever marched. Both drum judges are running all around trying to find tics, which were in very short supply. At the end of the concert, about three-quarters through the show, Mr. X walks past the entire snare and tenor line with his score sheet held so that we could read it. Two ticks; one on the snares and one on the bass drums.

At the end of the show, he had collected a few more, but when the gun went off, he raised his clipboard, turned to us and gave is a big smile.

Great guy.

Nice Job Don!

LOL!!! The street you're referring to is Baltimore Street, home of the infamous "Block." All sorts of fine upstanding citizens there. :tongue:

Upstanding??? Boy, I thought they'd be a bit more laid back. LOL

It was GREAT to see you in Secaucus Saturday. I hope you enjoyed all the performances. I'll bet I'm one of the few to recognize you since you were incognito (dressed like a normal person, not an escapee from Oahu! hahaha)

Ray

Upstanding??? Boy, I thought they'd be a bit more laid back. LOL

It was GREAT to see you in Secaucus Saturday. I hope you enjoyed all the performances. I'll bet I'm one of the few to recognize you since you were incognito (dressed like a normal person, not an escapee from Oahu! hahaha)

Ray

Donna and I recognized him...LOL shutup.gif