Yes, very quiet here, Ray. I know most of the regulars were either at the show in York, or at rehearsals this weekend. Saw Tony White, Mike Siglow and Fran Haring, for starters, at the show, and I know others were due to be there as well. As for our fearless leader -- Nanci, where are you? :sad:

Oh, I'm here... just waiting for the stories (about the latest feature)to begin.

Wow! Looks like no one, not even our Queen, wanted to post on Friday the 13th or since, for that matter.

Ray

sorry had to play drum corps

Same here Tony, how's Donnas finger....

No ya smart ###es, she smacked her hand with the rifle.....

It was a little "blue" yesterday but she's OK.... (I think everyone that has ever been in a Guard / Rifle Line has had to work in a similar situation. With the lights in the auditorium she couldn't see the Rifle in the air. When it came down she hit the tip of her right ring finger... The doubles were good it was one of the triples that she caught a little "off")

Thanks for checking... worthy.gif

And when we saw Cabs set up we thought of that show last year with da Bridgemen. Nice people, they apologised for the ear blasting that was to come. :shutup:

Speaking of the Cabs Alumni and Saturday night in York..... If anyone would like that MP3 file all you'll hear is the Mid-Range Brass. I was sitting 5 or 6 feet in front of the Mellophones...blink.gif It wasn't all that bad, occasionally when the Sop soloist, Duets and Quints stood in front of us we couldn't hear the Mello's quite as much. devil.gif

Not sure how many folks have had the honor of sitting a few INCHES away from some of the best lead Sops in the activity. When the likes of George Headley, Dave Hughes, John 'Duke' Terreri, Steve Raclowski and Dave Farren are playing THROUGH you your either have a GREAT night of Drum Corps or your in the wrong room! thumbup.gif (They did "block" the Mellos for a few mins...)

It was all topped off by having Curt Hawkins sitting with us and "judging" the Brass Caption.... shutup.gif

And the real secret is Tony picked out my wife in the crowd better than I did.

Tony: "There.. she's waving..."

Me: "She is?.. oh there..." :doh:

Well, I was looking in the direction where YOU said she was sitting.... tongue.gif

Oh, I'm here... just waiting for the stories (about the latest feature)to begin.

I'm still waiting for some of the stories about Jimmy's Hurricane season.... shutup.gif

sorry had to play drum corps

Which he did VERY well! thumbup.gif

OK, I’ll start.

It was the winter between the 67 and 68 seasons, or most likely early fall since John Sasso was still playing in the lead sop line at practice. We found a new home at the Hempstead AL post on Long Island. Nice place with the usual hall for the brass and basement for the perc section. Also had a very large bar for after practice. It was that time of year when new music was being introduced and the old songs played to stay in shape. This was the winter when things got very serious and John was making sure we worked very hard.

There we were on that Friday night as usual and he made us play until near death. Finally, around 11pm we catch a break while the drum section makes their way upstairs. Small crowd of outsiders as usual start pressing against the walls of the now very small hall. We’re filled to the brim and in the arc with John by my right side. Funny playing next to him, you never want to miss a note.

So, here we are cranking out some new stuff, I believe Conquest was on the floor by then and now it’s time to put on the show for the outsiders. My lip is about shot and the sweat is pouring down. Contras are begging for oxygen, mellophone neck veins are popping out and everyone is noticeably worn down and wanting this to wrap up. John keeps it going and gives the gathering a treat. Time for Rock-A-Bye. Drums start the familiar beat, horns up, still marking time and our feature steps forward, ready for action.

Now, I don’t know about any of you guys or gals out there, but I was spent and mentally half way to that bar, but here I am next to Sasso and it’s time to go to work, again. I look at that clock, I sort of look over at John and think, when is this gonna end and there it is, one of the sweetest sounds you’ll ever hear.

He starts out like he just walked in the room, fresh. He gets better as he plays, if that’s at all possible. I shake my head and look over at John and say, how the f%#$ does he do it? John lets out a chuckle and says and I quote, “Iron Lips”.

Now I can’t claim that’s when it started, but I’ll always remember that night and know that’s the first time I ever heard that and how fitting it was.

He truly was and still is an amazing player.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 2

Actually, that nickname was conferred by Uncle Nicky. He had one for everybody: "Shoes" for Bobby Files, "Soupy" for Bob Cephus...etc.

He would stand by the gate as you entered the contest field and whisper it in your ear as you marched by. It was like having Angelo Dundee in your corner. Made you feel like Muhammed Ali.

• Like 1

OK, I’ll start.

It was the winter between the 67 and 68 seasons, or most likely early fall since John Sasso was still playing in the lead sop line at practice. We found a new home at the Hempstead AL post on Long Island. Nice place with the usual hall for the brass and basement for the perc section. Also had a very large bar for after practice. It was that time of year when new music was being introduced and the old songs played to stay in shape. This was the winter when things got very serious and John was making sure we worked very hard.

There we were on that Friday night as usual and he made us play until near death. Finally, around 11pm we catch a break while the drum section makes their way upstairs. Small crowd of outsiders as usual start pressing against the walls of the now very small hall. We’re filled to the brim and in the arc with John by my right side. Funny playing next to him, you never want to miss a note.

So, here we are cranking out some new stuff, I believe Conquest was on the floor by then and now it’s time to put on the show for the outsiders. My lip is about shot and the sweat is pouring down. Contras are begging for oxygen, mellophone neck veins are popping out and everyone is noticeably worn down and wanting this to wrap up. John keeps it going and gives the gathering a treat. Time for Rock-A-Bye. Drums start the familiar beat, horns up, still marking time and our feature steps forward, ready for action.

Now, I don’t know about any of you guys or gals out there, but I was spent and mentally half way to that bar, but here I am next to Sasso and it’s time to go to work, again. I look at that clock, I sort of look over at John and think, when is this gonna end and there it is, one of the sweetest sounds you’ll ever hear.

He starts out like he just walked in the room, fresh. He gets better as he plays, if that’s at all possible. I shake my head and look over at John and say, how the f%#$ does he do it? John lets out a chuckle and says and I quote, “Iron Lips”.

Now I can’t claim that’s when it started, but I’ll always remember that night and know that’s the first time I ever heard that and how fitting it was.

He truly was and still is an amazing player.

"John Sasso":

Thanks for a GREAT story about a GREAT hornplayer and arranger. I didn't know he played soprano. I remember him as a great French Horn player.

Thanks again.

Elphaba

"John Sasso":

Thanks for a GREAT story about a GREAT hornplayer and arranger. I didn't know he played soprano. I remember him as a great French Horn player.

Thanks again.

Elphaba

You're most welcome but the story is mostly about the current feature, with John being a part of it. John could play most any horn and did on occasion while teaching the parts. If memory serves me correctly, John marched the 67 season playing lead sop. He changed roles in 68, to field conducting.

I think we had more drum majors in 68 than 1st. sopranos.