All of us that played with the great Sunriser corps of the 60s, 70s, & 80s were lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Taking a cue from John Sasso, whose work ethic was second to none, the corps was the ideal place for a young musician in the New York / New Jersey area.

I'm in total agreement with this. John Sasso was a great leader. We had Al Beck and Bill Costello, but John led the troops. During my time, and I've told this before, his epiphany came in late 67 up in Fenway Park at the Al. Nationals. In 67 we were the typical Sunrisers. Liked by many, but still, things were missing with the total package. The fun to watch, clap along with corps was about to become serious.

I glanced over at John when the Cavaliers were performing and his eyes were wide open, like he was watching Jesus walking on water. I've only seen that intensity before, when he was really angry.

After that, things changed, and while we didn't take home the trophy in 68, we opened a lot of eyes.

I'd like to think that was a turning point. Not only because I was there, but because we worked very hard as a team and things did come together. That was our real reward.

• Like 2

All of us that played with the great Sunriser corps of the 60s, 70s, & 80s were lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Taking a cue from John Sasso, whose work ethic was second to none, the corps was the ideal place for a young musician in the New York / New Jersey area.

John's high standards were adopted and protected by a number of disciples for decades - in fact the tradition spread to corps all over the country and produced some of the great brass lines of all times in such far away places as Concord, CA to name but one.

The percussion tradition was probably just as strong, with world class players like Billy Cobham, innovators such as Jerry Schellmer, and then the greatest percussion streak in Drum Corps history, Dennis Delucia's combination of Bridgemen and Sunriser lines that simply couldn't be touched.

As the (seemingly unanimously voted) worst marcher in the history of Sunrisers it would be unwise for me to say much about the visual program, but the success speaks for itself.

Lucky to be in the right place at the right time? You betcha.

And each of us that were that lucky were changed forever in some positive way.

I am humbled and honored to have been there. To witness some of what Ray has posted and to have the honor of being a part of this GREAT Drum Corps. Some of the very best days on, and off, a Drum Corps field.... :thumbs-up::worthy:

• Like 1

i kew jerry schellmer. he was quite an innovator. he once said if it can be carried on the field i want to be able to play it on the field. that's when the glocks appeared in 1969 with a 2 point penalty at every show. he would not get rid of it. and the rest is history.

Though I was a horn guy, I did march with BAC in 69 and Jerry also taught the Renegades in the years Donna and I were there...

I'm in total agreement with this. John Sasso was a great leader. We had Al Beck and Bill Costello, but John led the troops. During my time, and I've told this before, his epiphany came in late 67 up in Fenway Park at the Al. Nationals. In 67 we were the typical Sunrisers. Liked by many, but still, things were missing with the total package. The fun to watch, clap along with corps was about to become serious.

I glanced over at John when the Cavaliers were performing and his eyes were wide open, like he was watching Jesus walking on water. I've only seen that intensity before, when he was really angry.

After that, things changed, and while we didn't take home the trophy in 68, we opened a lot of eyes.

I'd like to think that was a turning point. Not only because I was there, but because we worked very hard as a team and things did come together. That was our real reward.

It's funny, because John talked to me about that Cavies moment - he said it was tranformational for him.

Once a corps COULD sound like that, that was going to be the benchmark for him. He wouldn't accept anyone trying to produce anything less from then on.

He was/is an amazing man, from an amazing family.

Taught me more than I learned in college.

• Like 1

It's funny, because John talked to me about that Cavies moment - he said it was tranformational for him.

Once a corps COULD sound like that, that was going to be the benchmark for him. He wouldn't accept anyone trying to produce anything less from then on.

He was/is an amazing man, from an amazing family.

Taught me more than I learned in college.

There were plenty of us watching there in Fenway 67 as we did not compete. I recall it like it was yesterday. John got an 8mm film on The Cavaliers work ethic and their approach to fielding a corps. Some blueprint huh? We were rehearsing at the Hempstead AM Legion hall during the winter before 68 and we all crowded down in the basement to watch. It was amazing and I thought this is what was needed. A different approach. Instead of going out to blow the house down, create subtleties and builds in the music. Dare to be different with movement and sound. Ralph Shur with his masking tape in the hanger at Mitchell Field and the 24" step, toe to heal. That was a lot of fun.........yeah, right. But, everyone was on board for the change.

When the season started I was concerned about crowd response. It was like we were playing to polite Canadian baseball fans. Were people buying it or not? This was the Sunrisers??? Took a while, but by Mission Drums things were starting to work.

I could never tell you what the crowds were thinking while not clapping, not standing and yelling, but the numbers and notes written on the sheets were improving.

Maybe they were really watching and listening to something new, and liked what they saw.

Edited by gsksun4

To a very great extent, all of us became who we are because of our corps experiences. Whether you drive a PATH train, lock up bad guys, teach high schoolers, move planes around or shovel coal, you do it with drum corps intensity. And we were all in the right place at the right time.

In 1980, when Cal Tjader won a Grammy, his band was on tour and he couldn't attend he presentation. As his producer (see, "right place...etc.", above) I was designated to accept for him. You have all seen this kind of drill. You walk up, a gorgeous model/actress/whatever gives you a peck on the cheek, you get a little statue, and thank people nobody has ever heard of.

That being the case, I proceeded to thank, "John Sasso, Donald Angelica and Dr. Baggs, without whose help I would not be standing here."

Theoretically, I was a stand-in for Cal Tjader, but the truth is I really represented Ray, Tony, Don, Tom, Andy, Stan, Fran, Kathleen, Nanci, Glenn and all our durm corps colleagues who, in the same circumstances, would say something quite similar.

• Like 3

To a very great extent, all of us became who we are because of our corps experiences. Whether you drive a PATH train, lock up bad guys, teach high schoolers, move planes around or shovel coal, you do it with drum corps intensity. And we were all in the right place at the right time.

In 1980, when Cal Tjader won a Grammy, his band was on tour and he couldn't attend he presentation. As his producer (see, "right place...etc.", above) I was designated to accept for him. You have all seen this kind of drill. You walk up, a gorgeous model/actress/whatever gives you a peck on the cheek, you get a little statue, and thank people nobody has ever heard of.

That being the case, I proceeded to thank, "John Sasso, Donald Angelica and Dr. Baggs, without whose help I would not be standing here."

Theoretically, I was a stand-in for Cal Tjader, but the truth is I really represented Ray, Tony, Don, Tom, Andy, Stan, Fran, Kathleen, Nanci, Glenn and all our durm corps colleagues who, in the same circumstances, would say something quite similar.

Thanks Frank...

This award means a lot to me.

I'd like to thank all the little people without whom this wouldn't be possible...

Tony, Freddy Rowan, Jimmy Cossetti...

(cue the snare drum and hi-hat)

• Like 1

"I'd like to thank all the little people without whom this wouldn't be possible..."

Yes, Ray, it is always fitting and proper to thank the people we meet on the way up the ladder...because we're sure to meet them again on the way down.

Yeah Frank, but for anyone that has observed my "career" - I think I may be afraid of heights.

Didn't do a lot of climbing so I haven't had to climb down much either.

Can you picture me accepting something as cool as a Grammy?

I ####ed up accepting entry to the HoF!

With my balance I better stay on the ground.

I have enjoyed the folks that have come and gone as I hold the ladder though...

• Like 1