>>Who's on that very short list of instructors who have won 2 National Championships on the same day? (Legion, VFW, DCA, DCI, AFof L/CIO...whatever association.)<<

One I can think of is Al Mura ... Garfield/Holy Name and Hawthorne Cabs ... AL Nats 1953

:-)

"Double Dippers":

Jim Jones, Troopers 1966. The corps (Via the point penalty to Chicago Cavaliers) won the VFW Nationals for drum corps, and his Trooper color guard won the guard championship.

Jim Jones was the drill/M&M writer instructor for both, as well as corps director.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

"Double Dippers":

Jim Jones, Troopers 1966. The corps (Via the point penalty to Chicago Cavaliers) won the VFW Nationals for drum corps, and his Trooper color guard won the guard championship.

Jim Jones was the drill/M&M writer instructor for both, as well as corps director.

Elphaba

We have some great History Buff's in this crowd. Nice work elphaba01.

I have it from an unimpeachable source that, after this weekend, there will be new photos here to ID for the edification of all.

Meanwhile, how about a trivia ID?

Who's on that very short list of instructors who have won 2 National Championships on the same day? (Legion, VFW, DCA, DCI, AFof L/CIO...whatever association.)

John Sasso 1968 Sun and Lucys?

OK, I"m done.

Edited by rayfallon

"Double Dippers Part Deux":

The late Jim Costello fits the "DD" category also. He was M&M/Drill writer/instructor for BOTH the Garfield Cadets and the Hawthorne Caballeros "Back in the Day" when they won the American Legion Nationals Senior & Junior titles in 1960, 61 & 1962. Blessed Sacrament broke the Legion streak for Garfield in 1963, but Hawthorne & Garfield were again both Legion Champions in 1964.

The late Don Angelica was horn instructor for Caballeros and write/arranger/instructor for Garfield Cadets 1960-1963, so he fits the "DD" category as well.

Thanks for the nice words.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Al Mura, creator of The Rumps I believe.

so he did that? interesting

so he did that? interesting

Don, from Wiki on Hawthorne:

Another trademark is the short, but dramatic introduction and finale that have been played in one form or another for nearly thirty years. Undoubtedly the most recognized theme music in all of drum corps, it can still be heard in subtle form in the corps' 1996 presentation. Espana Cani, played in its entirety beginning in 1957 and as an off-the-line introduction for many years thereafter, was originally arranged by Al Mura, and has been affectionately known through the years to corps members and their many fans as "The Rumps".

Serious question here:

Who came up with the Traffic Jam / Scatter Drill

So far these have been mentioned:
Sky: Bobby Hoffman 1972
St. Joe's : (Upstate NY) 1971
Also mentioned was "Voodoo Moon" Chicago Royalairs. Mid / late sixties.

Serious question here:

Who came up with the Traffic Jam / Scatter Drill

So far these have been mentioned:

Sky: Bobby Hoffman 1972

St. Joe's : (Upstate NY) 1971

Also mentioned was "Voodoo Moon" Chicago Royalairs. Mid / late sixties.

i think booby hoffman.1972

Traffic Jam and Scatter Drill?

I'm not sure I'd see them as identical.

It could be argued that Hoffman refined something that had been created much earlier by others, Vinnie Ratford, among them.

Breaking away from the US Army Manual 22-5, Drill and Ceremonies, was right up there with putting upright valves on a bugle and bringing out the timpani, i.e., tantamount to armed insurrection, or the Protestant Reformation.

The purists were aghast, the radicals ecstatic.