Tony, what does the data base have in years marched for Sun on a Bill Girard? I don't recall a Girard as drum major in 68. Of course it was 42 years ago, so I could be wrong. I do know that at one point in 68 we had Jack McQuillian (SP?) main DM, Ralph Shur and Walter Bunce assisting and John Sasso conducting. Mike seems to know him well and said he shook his hand after we won Mission Drums 68.

Sadly, Bill is one of the Alumni with everything missing. (no details other than a name in the database.)

As I understand it (and with so many other things I've gotten wrong this might be just another one) this Alumni database has been complied by Patty Bauer (Cicchino) 1990-1999, 2001 Mello, 2000 Mallets, 03-Present-SunAlumPR with the help of Marty "Stan" Roche (1974-1999, 2007 French Horn, Mello, Sop) using the Corps rosters over the years. So a LOT of information is missing. (considering that the Corps goes back to 1953 with the competing field Corps starting in 58)

I've been adding and updating this Alumni database since 05 with what I have in the way of the Corps rosters we (Donna and I) have from 75-85 as well as contacting everyone I have information for. (email as well as "snail mail") If you recall, I asked you (some time ago) for your current info for this database... (which you did reply to)

Again, apologies for the "OT" post....

See ... now that's interesting ... I thought Kenny Soper was the main DM in 68 ... I taught the Westchester Horizons with him for a few years ...

Hmmm ... LET'S GO TO THE VIDEO ... or, some pics if they exist ...

:-)

Sunrisers archives says history is...

The 1968 American Legion Nationals, New Orleans, LA

Sunrisers take first place and top all captions.

Sunrisers Drum Majors Left to Right:

Jack McQuillan, Gene Bennett and Bruce Smith

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196...ts_awards.shtml

(Consolidated News Pictures Photo supplied by: Frank Dorritie)

The Sun Alummni site got a message from Ralph's daughter in California that he had passed away. This was maybe a couple of years ago. I can't be sure because the years are flying by these days. Ralph was instrumental in that he was the first drill instructor I believe in DCA history in 1968 to not put the corps (Sun) in a company front on the starting line. See attached:

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/1968/1968_dream.shtml

Ralph passed back on May 9, 2006.... :tongue:

Tony..... I pop in almost everday. problem is-- I don't know anyone -- once in a while a name comes up from the past or someone I do know... Mostly Sky or Maybe a couple of Sunrisers ......

But I do enjoy what happens over in WhoVille

You and Fran keep those fancy shirts coming. Remember I know the Tailor...... LOL.........

:tongue::tongue::colgate:

Good to see your post then! (you could join in the banter more often ya know!)

You know "Omar the tent maker"? (He's mine...LOL)

Sunrisers archives says history is...

The 1968 American Legion Nationals, New Orleans, LA

Sunrisers take first place and top all captions.

Sunrisers Drum Majors Left to Right:

Jack McQuillan, Gene Bennett and Bruce Smith

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196...ts_awards.shtml

(Consolidated News Pictures Photo supplied by: Frank Dorritie)

Thanks Tony. Gene Bennett was the guard captain and not sure what Bruce Smith did. Maybe a DM, I don't recall.

Thanks Tony. Gene Bennett was the guard captain and not sure what Bruce Smith did. Maybe a DM, I don't recall.

I remember Gene Bennett as CG Captain as well. Bumped into him recently. I think he might have been at Harrisburg? Can't remember exactly where but it was recently.

Yep, knew that.. :tongue: (that's why he's the one with the weapon... :tongue: )

I love this thread. Even if I don't know all the faces, it always come back to busting on Jimmy C