He started with Sun in 1969 I think. Not before that.

Yup ... Wayne marched in the Smithtown Frelancers ... he may have even started in the Oceanside Legionnaires and then migrated over to Smithtown ... definitely in Sun in 69 and the out to SCV in 70 playing the same OTL solo in Procession of the Nobles, I think ...

Andy

Yup ... Wayne marched in the Smithtown Frelancers ... he may have even started in the Oceanside Legionnaires and then migrated over to Smithtown ... definitely in Sun in 69 and the out to SCV in 70 playing the same OTL solo in Procession of the Nobles, I think ...

Andy

Great memory Andy. Do you know for a fact that WD played the Procession solo at Sun? I thought it sounded like Bob Murphy or FTD. There's even a story about a retreat where the entire Sun lead soprano section played that triple tonguing solo together, before marching off the field.

i must have bad eyesight cause i can't make out the pic. it's to small for me to see any features. i'll leave this to better eyes.

Great memory Andy. Do you know for a fact that WD played the Procession solo at Sun? I thought it sounded like Bob Murphy or FTD. There's even a story about a retreat where the entire Sun lead soprano section played that triple tonguing solo together, before marching off the field.

No, I'm not sure ... one of those "fokelore" things that follow people/corps around ... Dorittie would definitely know the answer ...

:-)

No, I'm not sure ... one of those "fokelore" things that follow people/corps around ... Dorittie would definitely know the answer ...

:-)

There's also the fact that with the draft around 69, many guys were in the military reserves, and had weekend duty, so the solo work was passed around a lot. Nice to have that kind of a talent pool.