For those at the Retreat.....

Did anybody else have problems with members of Revolution?

They were throwing gumballs around and it was getting really annoying up until the point when a gumball actually hit my contra. Try explaining to an already extremely stressed out director that the brand new contra that the corps just recently recieved has some nice dents from gumballs. Ya so I would like to know what the members were thinking in a such a time like that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody else have problems with members of Revolution?

They were throwing gumballs around and it was getting really annoying up until the point when a gumball actually hit my contra. Try explaining to an already extremely stressed out director that the brand new contra that the corps just recently recieved has some nice dents from gumballs. Ya so I would like to know what the members were thinking in a such a time like that.

In the old days (late '60's), that would have caused a major "rumble" between corps like St. Lucys, Blessed Sac, Boston, etc., etc. Sometimes I miss the old days b**bs .

Edited by Harvey

i was on the other side of the field. But i did crack some good jokes while in the block. Btw did anyone else see our shoes on the field ?

Throwing candy at retreat is a long tradition that has been going on for a long time, but I guess if you only get to do one retreat a year, you wouldn't know that.

Yeah, we were standing right next to them. We actually had a lot of fun with it, we would pick up the gumballs and throw them back at them. It was funny because we were all marching to the gumballs to pick them up, and then we marched back to our spots on the field. We were like, do anything you want as long as you look professional, so it wound up that we would do stupid stuff like march to other people, just so we could say like two words to them. Then we would all do poses on a count of 3, and then go back to standing still. It was pretty funny.

In regards to the actual gumball thing, I know that they counted off and then all fired them at once, so we wound up picking up (in said manner above) and doing the same thing back with them. We didn't have a problem with it at all, we all had so much fun. It was probably one of the best moments on tour. Afterwards, we all chatted with them and discussed next year, we should get some kind of candy or something that wouldn't possibly dent the horns.

Now, maybe the members of the hornline were mad about it, after all we don't have to worry about denting drums (and obviously the pit equipment wasn't out on the field) but I'm pretty sure they were the same way. Bottom line, Revolution didn't mean to dent horns, they just meant to have a little bit of fun. Retreat this year was so much more fun than last year, last year I almost died it was so hot out and I didn't have any water for a while.

Edited by marimbaman89

i remember in 2005, we had jolly ranchers with us to toss across the field. during retreat after finals, the Raiders horn sgt. (i think) was marching through the horn block with a small bag of popcorn, giving some to the members. The next day, one of our mellophone players had a huge tub of cheese balls and he marched around our block giving some to all of us during retreat at grand finals. i think i also remember something about us all blowing up balloons and releasing them all at the same time and had them all fly in different directions. maybe someone else who remembers more can add on.

Ha! Revo kicking it old school!

Back in my day it was VK and Crossmen who used to do stuff like that! Made finals retreat that much more special!

Was down on the field in front of Revolution and Raiders, and it just looked like end of tour fun. Course, if it was my horn that got damaged I would probably be miffed also.

:laugh:

Michael