1. 1. Which one do you like better?

• 1999 Cadets - The Big Apple
    • 2005 Cavaliers - My Kind of Town

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i first watched it, I thought "Who the #&%$ would want to spend their summer holding a door?"

But then then it all kind of clicked, and yes, it became one of the most played CD's on my stereo for a couple years.

I would be ok if the Cadets did that show again. I would have no problem with that. The high brass attacks in the very begining are so sweet....

That ballad is one gigantic 2 minute chubby.

Edited by cwillpayne

Wow, I am surprised this show is being talked about this much. Marching that show was great, but that was one of the worst years I'd ever marched drum corps. A lot of it was behind-the-scenes stuff. But the music was pretty good I guess. Didn't really like the ballad though. 1998 Cadets' ballad was the best for me.

whatd you play when you marched there?

(im guessing bari but i dont know)

gosh this thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

the summer of 1999 was an absolute beast for all involved, and the show was by far the most difficult i marched. hell's kitchen was insane. half the closer was scrapped and rewritten with three weeks to go. there wasn't a lot of floor time, to say the least.

that said -- i'm glad this show is getting some of the credit now that it didn't get then.

(fun fact -- notice how the first and last set are the same? that's because the last minute of the show was at one point the first minute of the show.)

interesting fun fact.....where in the "new ending" did the old beginning of the show start?

oh and that clip that was also in cadets '96 (was that the hells kitchen part?).....whats up with that? i never understood why they shared that same sequence, especially considering i thought all of cadets '99 was from the de meij piece.

id really like to hear an early season recording of cadets 99.

oh and cavies 05 being one of the best mello lines ever? theyre not even the best mello line in this two corps poll, thats not much of a great start. :satisfied:

I'm pretty sure you'll find a good recording if you google video search it, unless of course that's what you did already.

But yeah, I have to say, Cadets 99 is incredible. The mellos....oh, the mellos. Quite possibly my favorite DCI show. (And my avatar...haha)

Yeah, I used google vid. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, though.

Edited by marimbaman89

oh and that clip that was also in cadets '96 (was that the hells kitchen part?).....whats up with that? i never understood why they shared that same sequence, especially considering i thought all of cadets '99 was from the de meij piece.

Oh phew, I thought I was imagining things...I've listened to '99 a ton, and '96 only a few times, but the first time I heard '96 I knew that bit sounded extremely familiar but didn't (and still don't) understand why it was in '96 and 99....

anyone? any particular significance to the part?

I don't know the significance of it being in the 96 show, but it was definitely in the original De Meij piece.

Speaking of 96, I played "Tulsa" in high school, and absolutely loved what they did with that piece in their 96 show.

I think I like the "Hell's Kitchen" section better in '99 than in '96 (or whatever they called it back then, where is this music from anyway?) mainly due to the awesome percussion feature that followed with the fifteen-second tenor lick and all.