Spirit Welcomes Scott Boerma as Brass Arranger

not necessarily a bad thing by any means since im a big fan of boerma's arrangements over the years, but its worth mentioning that spirit '07 was my favorite saucedo book in like 4 or so years out of any of the corps he's been writing for. really enjoyed some of the chords in the show.

congrats to spirit though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, look at this, from the corps website:

Freddy Martin Joins Spirit Staff

Written by Joel Vincent

Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Spirit is pleased to announce Spirit founder and Director Emeritus, Freddy Martin has accepted a position as Brass Advisor and Music Consultant for the 2008 season. Martin, a 2006 inductee into the DCI Hall of Fame, founded Spirit in 1976 and served as the corps' Director from 1976 until 1993.

So, apparently he left Phantom? Or is he going to be with both?

Great pickup by Spirit. Will the rest of last years brass staff remain in place? Just curious as I marched with Scott Stewart in Freelancers.

I got to meet Scott when he played with Denver and the Mile High Orchestra in Charlotte last June. Crown sponsored the event. Great guy. Apparantly, DHMO is doing well in the current american idol-like reality series, too..(see DCP headlines)

not necessarily a bad thing by any means since im a big fan of boerma's arrangements over the years, but its worth mentioning that spirit '07 was my favorite saucedo book in like 4 or so years out of any of the corps he's been writing for. really enjoyed some of the chords in the show.

Oh God yes. I actually liked it better than most of his Cavies music... :rock:

So it looks like the staff for spirit is shapeing up to be pretty nice.

:rock: Scott Boerma, Freddy Martin (horns)

Shane Gwaltney(sp) (percussion)

Robbie and Jill (guard)

and im sure lots more to announce!!! b**bs

Yeah, it'll be nice to hear Scott's sound again without being restrained by a really short creative leash. I think his arranging is some of the best, if not the best (and, honestly, most difficult and educational) in the activity. Few corps' brass books do what Scott's do - have offerings in all 12 keys, thick scoring, all that. Scott takes risks with his books that others won't. Good luck to Spirit.

Unfortunately, chords don't win shows. And although last year's Saucedo offering might have been your and other fans' favorite, it still only helped to get the corps another 12th place finish. Of course, his arrangments alone didn't put the corps in 12th, but I think most everyone would agree that design is the name of the game in this day and age.

After a few years of trying to piece together shows from a design staff whose primary focus is another D1 champion caliber corps, I'm more than anxious to see what Spirit can do after cleaning the slate of design staff and starting over with some pretty impressive names. And I'm even more excited to know that this design staff will actually be present to oversee the teaching of their work.

As for brass, I think Boerma will be a much better fit for Spirit's brass line and for what people expect to see and hear from a once famous hornline.

About Freddy...no one, I mean NO one can make Spirit's brassline sound like a Spirit line like Freddy Martin. After standing in his line for two years and in front of his line for another two, and after witnessing other great brass gods like Ray Baumgardt and Jimmy Elvord work our line, Freddy stands out like no other. He is intimadating. He is passion. He is emotion. He doesn't care about being loud, but rather he wants power through quality sound. I can't tell you how many times I've stood in or in front of our horn arc and heard some very loud overtones, as if there was another loud alto horn playing behind our line, which is evidence of a quality and nearly perfectly tuned line. He pushed us to focus on intonation...centering the pitch, all while playing at FFF or PPP. And when he was conducting a warm up...if he tossed his baseball cap off as if he was in a rage...look out! That's when you know things are getting good (contrary to if he tossed his cap while working visual ensemble on the field...that's an entirely different emotion!).

Of course, I'm an old fart, and my impressions might be WAY off. I'm certainly not nearly as knowledgable/educated in today's drum corps climate as I was in yerars past.

Now, if Spirit can put together a program equal to the quality of this staff, look out...

Edited by ssorrell