That's Entertainment?

I read your profile. 3 years experience. It would do you good to understand drumcorps history.

Just a suggestion.

Mike

Well, your FIRST year marching was my last year marching...started in 64....I agree with him, not you, and I do understand drum corps history.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on, Mario!

"That's because this material, by and large, is written and performed as an academic exercise, not an entertainment. It can be the musical eqivalent of watching someone solve quadratic equations: interesting, impressive even, but only for a select few."

Right on, Frank!

Amen.

Well, your FIRST year marching was my last year marching...started in 64....I agree with him, not you, and I do understand drum corps history.

I started in 1967. My best years were from 1972-1974 when I marched with my future wife now ex. Sorry for the confusion.

Geez, Mike.... you're old!!!!! :P

Fran

History or no, the fact remains that most of our seasoned drum corps enthusiasts are not much enthused by the current activity. True, its change and morphing into a more esoteric, but better refined, musical activity leaves some out in the cold. Many times I feel that way myself, BUT.....

........the thousands that used to like drum corps, and now don't, are being replaced by thousands of youngsters who love it. So word of its "death" is just ludicrous. This may be true to people on a personal level, but the activity as a whole is fine, regardless of how disgruntled you are with it.

So instead of the unnecessary middle-age swagger I see in here, it would be best to let the youth get out of today's version of drum corps what they can, and respect it. Experience should also teach you to be humble, no?

Badgering someone else for a different opinion favoring today's activity, while showing off the notches on your headboard does nothing to honor and respect the history of the activity, and the point it has evolved to today.

In our youth, drum corps was better than sliced bread. For some in their youth now, it still is to them.

Give them the respect and fairness to enjoy today's activity without being criticized for it. They just might be more receptive to learn more about drum corps' "glory days".

Edited by radiosteele

History or no, the fact remains that most of our seasoned drum corps enthusiasts are not much enthused by the current activity. True, its change and morphing into a more esoteric, but better refined, musical activity leaves some out in the cold. Many times I feel that way myself, BUT.....

........the thousands that used to like drum corps, and now don't, are being replaced by thousands of youngsters who love it. So word of its "death" is just ludicrous. This may be true to people on a personal level, but the activity as a whole is fine, regardless of how disgruntled you are with it.

So instead of the unnecessary middle-age swagger I see in here, it would be best to let the youth get out of today's version of drum corps what they can, and respect it. Experience should also teach you to be humble, no?

Badgering someone else for a different opinion favoring today's activity, while showing off the notches on your headboard does nothing to honor and respect the history of the activity, and the point it has evolved to today.

In our youth, drum corps was better than sliced bread. For some in their youth now, it still is to them.

Give them the respect and fairness to enjoy today's activity without being criticized for it. They just might be more receptive to learn more about drum corps' "glory days".

:drool::rock:

My son still sits and watches the video tapes from the first few DCI championships with me, and he enjoys them as much as I enjoy watching his corps perform today. We revel in each other's versions of drum corps, and we share the joy of my past accomplishments and his present ones. That is one of the main things that makes my life so enjoyable.