Scouts vs Colts vs Blue Stars

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I highly doubt any normal 16 year old snare is going to make Colts or Blue Stars. Their snare lines probably have average ages around 20+.

youd be surprised how young some of the snare drummers are at even the top-level drum corps, i'd say.

So where did the rest of those Scouts vets go? Nowhere?

HH

i know of at least one who went nowhere...

and it was his ageout too :(

i know of at least one who went nowhere...

and it was his ageout too :(

Yeah, there were a few of those.

I can think of guys that went to Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, and SCV. What will be interesting will be to see how many '05 and '06 guys that didn't march '07 come back in '08. I know of one or two for sure thus far. Things were seriously screwed up this time last year and I think the organization has done a near-180 in just a year.

We may see some Blue Stars hornline types filter into Madison this year following staff. That's purely speculative, though.

Yeah, there were a few of those.

I can think of guys that went to Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment, and SCV. What will be interesting will be to see how many '05 and '06 guys that didn't march '07 come back in '08. I know of one or two for sure thus far. Things were seriously screwed up this time last year and I think the organization has done a near-180 in just a year.

We may see some Blue Stars hornline types filter into Madison this year following staff. That's purely speculative, though.

I would think there would also be a chance to get some of the (well trained) California kids to follow some of the local staff out to the Mid West.

I am guessing that Madison's trouble had nothing to do with the success of last season's Blue Stars and/or Colts programs. Colts programs have been solid from year to year for an awful long time. It is a great organization. Blue Stars program is evolving in the right direction with their efforts starting years before Madison's issues. Blue Stars high member retention rate will allow their members to mature into a very competitive top 12 corps very soon. They are just a very few staff changes away from making the night show and those changes may have already been made.

The saying that comes to mind is: If you always do what you always done, then you will always get what you got.

Birddog

Conventional wisdom amongst my not-always-informed sources last year was Colts and Blue Star benefited from the trouble at Scouts last year.

So my question is should we expect some of those who chose Dubuque or LaCrosse last year to head for Madison instead this year? Or to put it another way, can Colts and Blue Star retain the talent that helped both to special years in 2007? And if the Scouts can't recapture some lost talent, can they recruit suitable talent to compensate for what was lost?

Wondering what you know, have heard from reliable sources or can reasonably speculate on.

HH

Edited by ContraJohn

Sure, there tend to be kids that are more loyal to staff or friends rather than any one corps, but I would be surprised if too many 2007 Blue Stars went to 2008 Madison given that the Blue Stars beat Madison this past year. I'm not saying I'm favoring one to win over the other in 2008, just that I doubt that will be the decision of many of those kids.

I don't see why the Blue Stars or the Colts would have any trouble retaining members after such successful years for both of them. That's one of the contributing reason in why people return to corps in the first place.

I'm actually aware of at least three blue star vets who are trying out for madison this summer. Has something to do with the scout's new trumpet tech, I imagine.