Highest Note Ever Played

When I said Ab, I meant concert Ab...so that would be your Eb. I didn't know that was a mellophone playing that note lol, I thought it was a trumpet (in reference to the high concert C). That's beastly. I've heard people go higher than that on mello but never in a junior drum corps performance.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Florida Wave 89. I don't know his name ( Larry?) He went on to Devils in 90 and 91(?).

yes.

hahaha never seen it on "paper" before, thats cool looking. :P

Yea, it does look pretty ridiculous, it took me a second to count the ledger lines. Most of us 'only' went up the the Eb at the end if we felt so inclined. We ended up putting in Eb's at the end of our show for the leads so throwing them in during ATB didn't seem so weird since most standard repertoire seems to set a glass ceiling at high C's (concert F), especially for those of us that actually do play instruments in the key of F during the rest of the year. :rock:

^0^

(credit goes to mr. pat brady for playing it too, and his was probably louder than mine)

you can hear a high G on mello in every recording ive heard of the show from this season. 2:41 on the finals recording. the kissing off thing wasnt as obvious there as it was at other shows. its pretty loud on the midseason/atlanta dvd....way to go, pat.

(he marched troopers 01-03, soloist in 03, madison 04, bluecoats trumpet in 06, and mello in 07. ages out in 09. might as well give some dcp credibility to him, hes a beast.)

hooray for playing trumpet before mellophone.

You guys were beasts!

My French horn playing friend heard that and freaked out. lol

Just wanted to let you know you gained some serious fans in Clovis. haha

Florida Wave 89. I don't know his name ( Larry?) He went on to Devils in 90 and 91(?).

In 1989 Florida Wave, we had a soprano duet in the opener. I went up to an E concert, which (for G bugles) is a written A just above the 4th ledger line above the staff. Carlos (who was playing with me) then went an octave higher than me to the E concert, written as an A, 8 ledger lines above the staff!

It wasn't the best tone qualtity, but he nailed the crap out of it pretty much every night. We finished 18th so you can't get the recording from DCI.org, but I have an mp3 of it.

This was the highest note ever played on a soprano bugle during the DCI era as far as I know. Pretty wild stuff!

Edited by BbTrpt1

^0^

(credit goes to mr. pat brady for playing it too, and his was probably louder than mine)

you can hear a high G on mello in every recording ive heard of the show from this season. 2:41 on the finals recording. the kissing off thing wasnt as obvious there as it was at other shows. its pretty loud on the midseason/atlanta dvd....way to go, pat.

(he marched troopers 01-03, soloist in 03, madison 04, bluecoats trumpet in 06, and mello in 07. ages out in 09. might as well give some dcp credibility to him, hes a beast.)

hooray for playing trumpet before mellophone.

I could have sworn the guy standing next to me at one of the encores played a Triple Ab. Almost all the Mellophones went up to an Eb and then this guy from Bluecoats just keeps going higher. I lost it laughing.

I could have sworn the guy standing next to me at one of the encores played a Triple Ab. Almost all the Mellophones went up to an Eb and then this guy from Bluecoats just keeps going higher. I lost it laughing.

haha yeah, that was one of the most fun encores ive ever been a part of. you were right next to pat (to his right, i believe?). he was the "chubby" one. i was between your first mello next to the contras and luis, and that night was one of the best for both of our notes there. its fun doing that bd because if by some chance our staff was unhappy or anything, we could easily just say it was you guys. :P

(massillon '06 was a pretty good example of something like that happening, if you can remember it.)

were we at the clovis show this season? i dont recall.

whoever mentioned the bd '94 trumpet solo....it wasnt necessarily high (compared to some of the other solos mentioned), but it cut through amazingly well and was nailed on finals night.

madison '01 sop quartet should be mentioned as well; that couldnt have been performed any better. so in tune.... :rock:

...since most standard repertoire seems to set a glass ceiling at high C's (concert F), especially for those of us that actually do play instruments in the key of F during the rest of the year. :rock:

haha, true, understandable.

i think this discussion was held on dcp recently, but i think the trill at the end of cavies '04 was an Eb too.

as far as highest note ever played on a mello during a show, and not counting the bluecoats ones that were mentioned earlier, the solo at the end of the magic '98 ballad was INCREDIBLE and glissed up to a really high note before settling on the resolution. definitely a moment/show worth trying to attain. great brassline, and one of the best mello soloists ive ever heard. i think he goes up to a G at the highest (that's on an F mello, so.....i think its "higher" on a G mello? im not sure how that works), and its a solo, so definite props to him. i think his name was willie?

bd's mellos in the 90's, specifically from around 96-99, had lots of amazing screaming mellophone moments. some of them were probably the same person. those shows are what officially validate my support of high mello parts, because they sound ####### sweet contextually. the one at 9:43ish in the '97 show gives me chills every time i hear it; that must have been insanely fun to take part in. one of my favorite endings of a piece ever.

sweet avatar/username.

Junior Corps - Concert C is the highest I know of (Triple F on Soprano or Double D on Trumpet). A few guys have done it (mentioned above)

In Senior Corps - Concert D (Triple G on a Soprano). Roger Grupp of Minnesota Brass.

Would that be the note at the end of the ballad in '02 or was it '04? Can't quite remember.

Listen here: http://home.cogeco.ca/~amcorreia/solo.mp3

Edited by TenorsForWorldDomination