Duts

Duts  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us how much duts annoy you, on a scale of one to ten (one being not annoyed at all, ten being outrageously annoyed)

• won
    • too
    • 3hree
    • fore
    • 5ive
    • sixx
    • seaven
    • ate
    • nein
    • tenn

Shall we just get rid of the DMs since they seem to play no essential roll? We can just have dutters since hearing the beat is so much better than seeing it. Let's call the Boston Symphony, the New York Philharmonic, the London Symphony, etc. and tell them to get rid of their conductors because it so much easier to understand a "dut." They can just have someone in the middle of the orchestra dutting.

OMG they all sit still on a flippin stage! :tic:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall we just get rid of the DMs since they seem to play no essential roll? We can just have dutters since hearing the beat is so much better than seeing it. Let's call the Boston Symphony, the New York Philharmonic, the London Symphony, etc. and tell them to get rid of their conductors because it so much easier to understand a "dut." They can just have someone in the middle of the orchestra dutting.

OK, as soon as you spread them around the entire room.

I never said that DM's are not important. They are who the brass watches, and the main person responsible to keep the corps together. Attacks for brass players do not need to be as accurate as the attacks for snares or tenors.

What I'm saying is that there is usually one person in the battery responsible for interpreting the time given by the DM. He then communicates this tempo to the other members of the battery in his immediate area. To try to given an auditory cue for anyone over 5-10 yds away is impractical.

As for your comment about symphonic conductors, I don't think I even need to explain why your analogy doesn't hold water.

i hope you're not serious...or maybe you really are that ignorant that you dont understand the difference between an orchestral conductor and a marching band drum major?

No, I wasn't being serious. However, I was making a point. The poster I was responding to, sarcastically, was making it sound like the DM has a trivial role at best for the corps. Also, those who don't know how to read a conductor's visual cues need to be taught how to watch a conducter.

Please note that I have not said I am against dutting, just that it needs to be done so that the audience doesn't hear it.

Once the cello section is moving around the concert hall at 180+ BPM you may have a point, as well as when there are 8-10 snares in the percussion section.

:tic:

That would be interesting to see. :blink:

Oh wait, give it 10 years and DCI will have it! :sshh: :tic: b**bs

OK, as soon as you spread them around the entire room.

In 1981 I went to a BSO concert and they had low brass players in the balcony on both the left and right sides as well as in back. Still, no dutting. :blink: Of course, they didn't move around either. :P

I never said that DM's are not important. They are who the brass watches, and the main person responsible to keep the corps together. Attacks for brass players do not need to be as accurate as the attacks for snares or tenors.

What I'm saying is that there is usually one person in the battery responsible for interpreting the time given by the DM. He then communicates this tempo to the other members of the battery in his immediate area.

A clean attack is a clean attack. Either you are on time or you are not. Explain to me why a brass player is OK watching the DM but more than one snare is not. "Interpretation" is BS in my book. The down beat is on the down beat. The up beat is on the up beat. Learn how the conductor moves and everyone will be on time, brass or percussion.

To try to given an auditory cue for anyone over 5-10 yds away is impractical.

Yes, which is why I am not saying "don't dut," but dut so that the audience members (who are 10-100 yards away) can't hear it. Is there anything wrong with that?

As for your comment about symphonic conductors, I don't think I even need to explain why your analogy doesn't hold water.

I can't even believe how many of you thought I was serious about conductors. C'mon people, don't you recognize sarcasm? I wasn't being subtle about it.

You also have to realize that they practically don't need a conductor either. Usually, all attacks and releases are together. They don't even look at the conductor really.

Are you sure about that? In this situation, you do have sounds coming from different parts of the concert hall, kind of like all over a football field.

I guess I'm weird... but personally, I love the loud duts right before a BIG hit... it builds the anticipation... :blink: